Grrr I hate stupid neighbors and hunting season. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Grrr I hate stupid neighbors and hunting season.

Ok so this is mostly a rant but I gotta get it off my chest.

We have a 2 year old female Jessie and a 4 month old male Loki. The male is still obviously in training. We live on 40 acres of wooded land and our neighbor is a cousin who is blind. She has a mini Dachsund and it is not trained at all. It comes in our yard daily.

This is such a distraction for our dogs. They want to play with her and she just barks and then runs. This makes my dogs chase her. My Jessie will usually listen and stop but Loki .. no way it is like he is deaf.

Now today just tops it all off. The hunters are all up for the weekend next door and of course the Dach is in my backyard again. She takes off running and while I'm chasing the Loki my Jessie spots a hunter in the woods about 100 feet away from our deck. She takes off full run at him and I'm trying to catch Loki.

After 30 minutes of trying to wrangle them both I get them in the house. FYI I am currently recovering from hand surgery and shoulder injections so I only have one useful arm.

So after all that the dogs start rough housing pretty bad in the house and whining to go outside. I finally agree because the Dach seems to be gone and I need to poop scoop anyway. So we go outside and they are having a good time playing. Thats when I heard the jingle of the Dachs collar. I got the Jessie in the house but Loki took off after her of course. And that sparked another 20 minute chasing session.

Now I am back inside with them both they are pooped and so am I but I still have to go work a 10 hour shift yet.
I wish I could scream at the neighbor to feel better but she is so stupid she will never understand she needs to keep her dog on a leash.

Thankfully the hunters are people who know Jessie. Usually they just shoot all dogs on site.

I'm going to have to put a fence up because of all this and it only happens during one week of the year. Such a waste.

Theresa

Jessie~GSD~2 years old
Loki~GSD~5 Months old
Tinkerbell~PomChi~9 years old
Scrappy~Morkie~chasing bunnies in Heaven
Bud~Maine Coon~sunning himself in Heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Grrr I hate stupid neighbors and hunting season.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmmitThankfully the hunters are people who know Jessie. Usually they just shoot all dogs on site.

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
OMG! Thats awful! If someone tried to shoot my dog on purpose...heads would be rolling!!
Is there anyway you can put up a fence??

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

Hunting season is necessary and good. If it is only one week, keep your dogs on leash or on a long line.

If the 40 acres are your property and hunters do not have permission to be there, report them.

I am surprised they are so close to your house.

Putting up a fence for one week of the year does not make sense. But it sounds like the dachsund is a more consistant problem.

A stupid question, I know, but have you talked to your cousin about the dachsund? You mentioned her disability, so I am going to say that you are doing her no favors by giving her special treatment concerning her pet. If you talk to her about the dachsund, you can probably come to an agreement that suits both of you.

Good luck.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I have talked to her. She doesn't see anything wrong with letting it run free. I am unable to convince her otherwise. Putting up a fence will cost me thousands and it will have to wait until the ground thaws.
The hunters are able to hunt here due to tribal land issues, I am unable to stop them.

Theresa

Jessie~GSD~2 years old
Loki~GSD~5 Months old
Tinkerbell~PomChi~9 years old
Scrappy~Morkie~chasing bunnies in Heaven
Bud~Maine Coon~sunning himself in Heaven
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Knighted Member

how bout building a comfortable small pen for the dach in your yard-when it comes over put it in there for the day and drive it HOME in evening-kinda a doggy daycare thing?Better than fencing whole property.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

Nevermind. I didn't see the tribal thing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

For one week, I do not get your frustration. If the property is yours, when you bought it, you should have been aware that this was the case?

Taking the dog out on leash for one week to keep them safe is not the end of the world. It sounds like you are not happy with the fact that hunting happens where you live. Nobody is committing any foul though.

As for the dachsund, it is hard because it is family. Catch the dog crate it in your garage do your training session, and put your dogs away then release the dog.

Having a fence is great, but it should not cost thousands of dollars. It depends how much you plan to fence, and how fancy you want the fence. It is really a matter of what you want over what you need.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Knighted Member

How about long long leads???

Kilo- GSD
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 AM

We did our back yard with dog kennel panel end to end and
wired to t-posts. With the 2 gates, about $700.

I put large rocks along the bottom to discourage digging.
No problems with Carly, but our smallest Pom did squeeze
out between the gates and we wired a board across there.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

It sounds to me like both you and your cousin want to be able to turn your dogs loose but that you stay out with yours and your cousin goes in and leaves her/his out.

I like the idea of a doby pen myself. Relatively cheap and probably emotionally rewarding for you as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page