I'm sitting for a WGSD... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm sitting for a WGSD...

i dog sit often. its not a business, its just something that being "a dog person" i get asked to do... or perhaps it just comes with the territory when you're the friend with a yard and not much of a backbone when it comes to dogs.

anyway...

i've had my share of bad dogs, dirty dogs, overweight dogs, dogs on poor diets, etc. in general i do my part to educate my friends and family, but i'm also not one to beat a dead horse. EXCEPT...

one of my current sitees is a german shepherd and i just can't ignore the passion that i have over this breed. with a lot of fighting i've gotten her food switched from The Good Life to Kirkland. i've also gotten her owners to begin practicing NILIF, but she's still a tad out of control, hyper, and spazzy. but all that aside, my question comes... when do/don't you overstep your boundaries and do whats best for the dog AND if its not likely to make much difference in the long run - do you even bother?

i'd love to bathe her and get all this undercoat out, i'd love to cut her nails, i'd love to get her a new collar (her neck is grey from a chain) and bowl (currently plastic), i'd love to reduce her food (they've instructed me to feed her way too much), and she's been sleeping in a crate at night - which i didn't previously discuss with them but its the only way i can keep her from pacing and whining (which i view as stress) all night long.

obviously some people are more sensitive than others (the wife is one of these people) so i'm worried about them returning to a slimmer, cleaner, calmer, groomed dog with a new collar & bowl and being offended.

eh...
happy thanksgiving!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Re: I'm sitting for a WGSD...

go for it!

I mean seriously, if ANYONE wants to take Mandalay in and groom her, trim her nails, buy her gifts and train her to do ... well, ANYTHING really ... then I welcome it!

What kind of person wouldn't?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MandalayWhat kind of person wouldn't?
an extremely sensitive person who already feels insecure about not doing whats best for their dog and doesn't want it rubbed in their face by a "know-it-all" like me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

I'd do it.

If you are worried about the reactions of the owners, just tell them that you were grooming your dogs, doing nails, and training exerecises and you didn't want to exclude this dog.

As far as the collar goes, tell them that you noticed the grey around her neck from the old collar and you couldn't stop yourself.

Make it all about you, and not that their dog needs this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

I'd do it all - explain the bath with "well it was bath day at my house & it didn't seem fair to exclude her" or "she rolled in something at the park"; new collar: "we visited Pet___ & all my dogs got something & I just couldn't resist"; "the bowl was a door prize & we already have extra"
They are white lies but if they help the dog & you are senstive about how you discuss the changes with the owners (I would not NOT say anything), it's all good.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 PM

Be careful if you do too good of a job they may ask you more often!!
That said I would go ahead & do it too.

Mikko 03
Dakota 05
Angelo 05
Tebo 08
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

ha, thanks guys!
the only problem with "bath day" is that when they dropped her off, they commented on how nice my dogs looked and asked if they'd recently got a bath (tilden did a couple weeks ago, gia did a couple days ago). of course i told them that and the wife said "you're such a good dog owner, when we grow up we want to be like you" (mind you, they're 10yrs older than me) it was very tongue in cheek.

i looked around and i actually have a used nylon collar that will fit her, as well as an old stainless steel bowl. they know that i'm trying to downsize so hopefully that can be explained with "i don't need them and figured you guys can use em". i'm sending them home with an extra dog bed of mine too because i know that they only have one. (they have 2 dogs).

so we'll see how it all plays out.

and if they're offended - how long can one actually stay offended if they know that it was all done out of love and in the dogs best interest?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

I'd go for it too! Maybe if they see what a difference you can make in their dog they'll be more inclined to take your advice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodder and if they're offended - how long can one actually stay offended if they know that it was all done out of love and in the dogs best interest?
How long can one stay offended with a fresh smelling dog for free?!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM

If they commented on your pups, just tell them that in the spirit of the holiday, you thought you would give their girl the "works"...or tell them she rolled in mud!

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page