Going to see a puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Going to see a puppy

Iím putting this here on the general info forum as it didnít seem to fit in the puppy place.

Iím going to be looking @ an older puppy this weekend. I know for many this would be a happy occasion but I am also doing it with a heavy heart. My current guy, Dakota, is 9yr old and has a spine problem that affects his mobility. We can go for short walks and he gets around the house and yard ok. But any extended activity takes a toll on him where he needs days to recover. So no more hiking, no more snowshoeing, no more long walks. I miss my activity buddy. And thatís the primary reason Iím looking @ a youngster. Except for his backend problems Dakota is still a great dog. When I tell people heís 9 most are astounded as heís still so handsome. I love this dog dearly and canít help but feel like Iím betraying him by considering another dog. Itís as if Iím saying: youíre old now so Iím trading you in for a younger, newer model.

When Dakota was given to me he was three. I had two other dogs @ the time. Both died w/in a year of me having him. They were 13 and 11 when they passed. So itís just been Dakota and me for about 5yrs.

Iím telling myself Iím only going to look @ the puppy. Iím leaving the purse @ home. Appearance wise the puppy is just what I want, a black and red LC. Hereís the link to her picture: http://www.waldhimmel.com/available.htm. Sheís #2. The breeder says she has a fabulous temperament for a companion home. I feel so conflicted. Has anyone else felt torn like this before? Any words of encouragement and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rumi vom Haus Barrett 8/24/2010 BRAT, HCT, CGC
Dakota GSD rescue 7/1/00 - 9/15/11 CGC, RA, CD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gunnar GSD/greyhound rescue 1995-2005
Kodi GSD/husky rescue 1991-2004
Cleo, pug and Happy, mutt from childhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Going to see a puppy

Hmmm...the link didn't work for me She sounds pretty tho(I have a black and red LC male) I got him 4 months after putting my senior down. I was not planning on getting another dog after letting my senior go, and felt guilty for getting my boy. The guilt passed as I got wrapped up in my boy, however I still think of my old girl all the time. You will find a healthy balance if you get the youngster, I am sure

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

enjoy, it was so much fun. ask lots of questions and enjoy!!

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Crowned Member

The link did not work for me either but I can go directly to Mary's Website to see the pup.

I have never bought a dog from Mary Bryant but wish I had. She had been very helpful to me with some of Havoc's issues and she did not breed him, another breeder in the Portland Or area bred him.

I will go check out Waldhimmels' site.

Dakota may really enjoy another buddy, just be sure to give him extra attention.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Elite Member

I found it if I went to the main page and then clicked the "available puppies and dogs" link. She is a cutie! I don't have any good advise however. I wish you well in your decision though.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Crowned Member

She is a darling little long coat! I know you will make a sound decision. Mary has wonderful dogs.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Crowned Member

Here's the link: http://www.waldhimmel.com/available.htm (there was a . at the end)

She's darling!

As I added horses to my life growing up, I never felt like I was trading in for a new model. All my horses had things to offer me and for most of them it was different things.

Same thing for you now, Dakota is still going to offer you so much in life - that will never change as long as he's alive!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Crowned Member

I felt the same way when I started to seriously research for a new puppy. Even though my senior girl doesn't live with me all year round, it was still a tough decision.

I think you need to remind yourself that bringing in a new puppy is not a replacement for Dakota, it's a testiment to how much he means to you and how much he loves you. You want to share that feeling with another puppy.

He may love the fact that he has a playmate at home and it may bring out the 'pup' in him again.

I wish you luck and hope to see pictures and hear of your adventure! Please keep us updated!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Elite Member

When you get the page not found, just take the period ( . ) off the URL and it works.

I can understand how you feel, I would feel the same way. Perhaps if you share yourself equally amongst the two it will help you feel better. Riley will play with balls and toys and other stuff, Nissa absolutely refuses to participate in anything and everything ... vet calls her a "spectator sport dog" and I look at her when I'm playing with Riley and see her just sitting or laying there watching us and it breaks my heart and I cuddle with her in between ball-tosses or whatever. Anything to help her feel included is what I do. We try to get her involved but she just has no interest. I relate this to your situation and so I feel your heartbreak.

You will make the right decision when the time comes. What concerns me is a young pup wanting to play with your older disabled dog and that might not work so well. She could maybe hurt him in play or he may not take to her as a friend because he's in pain. Perhaps if you find this is really the pup you want, could you work out a couple of weeks of fostering to see how it goes?

I want the longcoat! Ohhhhhhhhhh she's gorgeous!

Deb ē Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge ē Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

ē web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Elite Member

I couldn't stand it .... I just wrote the owners about the beautiful longcoat. I'm a sucker for longcoats! I need another GSD like I need a hole in my head and I have no clue how I'd get out to NW Oregon or where I'd get the money from but ya know what .... oh never mind ... ya'all already know what, LOL!

mahhi22 - I don't know whether to thank you for the link or be mad at you for posting it, LOL! I'm in loooooove!

Uh oh ... I misread your post, I thought you meant you were going to see the #2 meaning the second one down on the page. That's a good thing because this means *I* won't have to come up with money or a way out to NW Oregon ... and they will probably tell me "I'm sorry she's sold" .... GOOD LUCK!

Deb ē Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge ē Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

ē web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page