8 month old female.. To Spay or not to Spay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

8 month old female.. To Spay or not to Spay?

Hey guys, My girl is 8 months old and my vet advised me to get her spayed... What would you say are the pros and cons? I do not plan on breeding her. Spaying around here costs $650+.

For those who have spayed there dogs, do you notice a difference? do they lose that drive? lose the aggression? or are they the same? I've heard in males there aggression drops, but for females its the same. Do they lose any of their personality after getting spayed? I feel like spaying is taking something away from her... She is mostly outdoors in our massive yard so I am not too worried about her bleeding everywhere for 3-4 weeks two times a year..

Please let me know, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

Re: 8 month old female.. To Spay or not to Spay?

$650???????? Good grief - that's outrageous. My vet still charges right around $100, but he's definitely on the low end of pricing here in Denver. Can you find a spay/neuter clinic close by where it would be more reasonable?

My animals have all been spayed/neutered at a young age - anywhere from 6 mos. to 1 yr. My female sheltie/keeshond mix was 6 mos. old when she was spayed and she turned 18 last Sat. Lots of different opinions on when to spay/neuter, but all of my animals have lived long, healthy lives.

By the way, I saw her picture on your other thread. She is drop dead gorgeous! Congrats to you both!

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Mine charges about $350. There are health benefits to getting her spayed before her first heat. No...they do not lose any of their personality...my girl still has plenty to spare!!

Males will come from miles around if she's in heat. Since you don't plan to breed her and there are health benefits for her then I would get it done immediately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

There are animal clinics who do it for $150 but they said the dog has to be under 50 lbs... mine is 62 :-\
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM

where do you live that they are charging that much? my vet uses human grade anethesia, etc and he charges about 200.00. I would go vet shopping, but make sure and not rish your girl.

I have intact and spayed females both, poeople and vets say there are health benefits, maybe I have been lucky, but I have not noticed one way or another. Whether I am using them for breeding or not

Neutering a male to early and he does not develop the male attributes, neuter him later and I have seen their pigment drop out of their coat.

I do not have male dogs coming from miles around and my dogs have dog doors, I have male dogs living down the road that are out in the neighborhood all the time.

I think it might end up being a personal choice to spay or not. Do not let your vet push you around.

I know a breeder, has a wonderful bitch, she was not using her normal vet. The bitch was pregnant and over due, she kept calling, finally took the dog in and said do a c section. When she called later they said the pups where mummified. And the vet insisted they had to spay the female also. The owner demanded to see the pups. They where born viable and alive, there was nothing wrong. The vet just wanted to spay the female and not have any pups around. He was very pro spay and neuter. This is back woods W Virgina, but still. Those pups where worth 2500.00 each.

OK I will get off my soap box.

Personal decision.

Long and plush coated West German Showline and working lines
10 gsd's
4 domesic short haired cats
6 Arabian horses

9 gsd's over the Bridge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

Spaying/neutering does NOT stop aggression.
Do what you think is best for your girl.
My boy is 1 and is not yet neutered.
I will eventually do it....but now is not the time.

Kilo- GSD
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

When you spay a female before their first heat it is a fact that it reduces their chance of certain types of cancer significantly. This is not the same for a male dog. There are studies that show the opposite for males. Your female may grow a bit larger than she would if she hadn't been spayed but not enough to make a difference.

No, they do not lose drive but they can gain focus. No, spaying/neutering will not necessarily have an affect on aggression. That will probably be a training/socialization issue. And like I said before...my girl has personality plus.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks for everyones insight I just found out that the Ontario Government has a high volume spay/neuter clinic in two locations here in Toronto and barrie to help fight the dog/cat overpopulation issue in the province. Its only $60!! They are funded by the government which is why it is so cheap (price is subsidized). There is a 12-14 week waiting list but I dont mind.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

I got Jerzey spayed around that time. We originally tried to go through a clinic because the price was $400 but none of them had openings until Dec. or Jan (at the time we were looking it was Oct, I believe) and we didn't want to have to deal with her first heat.

I can't say that Jerzey's personality changed at all. She's the same as she's always been, in my opinion.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

I would spay her if you don't plan on breeding her, but I think I would wait for the lower cost clinic. $650 is a lot of money!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page