Another scary reminder to take collars off - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Master Member

Re: Bo and Bella got stuck

My dogs used to wear collars too, until they got tangled up in them and they now I only put collars on them when I have them on a leash.
A couple years ago Tank and Max were playing in the yard with there flat collars on and all of a sudden I heard them screaming. Well, Max's paw actually had gotten stuck under tanks collar and his nail was cutting tanks tonque. I tried and tried to pry the collar loose and they were struggling with each other and tanks collar was getting tighter and tighter and I thought I was going to lose him right there. I ran to the house to get sissors out of my husbands tool box and screamed at him in the house to get outside. I ran back to the dogs with the sissors and just when I got to them it popped free.
Both dogs were fine. Tank had a very small cut on his tongue and Max's front paw was sore but nothing broken. They smelled all around the area and were not sure what had just happened.
It was the scariest thing ever!!! I did buy break away collars after that but they broke away to easy, so now they wear nothing.

I too, had never thought about the fact they could get caught up in it. Since then, I have heard many horror stories of it.

~~~Cathy~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

If you MUST have your dogs wear collars (and you have multiple dogs) then get the plastic snap buckle kind:

99% of the time you can unlatch the buckle in cases like the above.

Anything with a buckle like this:

Where you have to get slack in order to unhook it - those are dangerous.
post #43 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Master Member

I had the plastic snap one like you show in the top picture. That would not budge and I pushed and pushed on the sides to release it. I am just very thankful if finally popped free.

~~~Cathy~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Another scary reminder to take collars off

I usually take Denali's collar off because she's clinks everywhere and because I know it's not very safe. The tags make an annoying sound and I call her Tinkerbell.
I don't ALWAYS do it though, only when I remember. Mostly, because I've never had an issue with a dog collar my whole life and because we don't have two dogs.

Tonight I had a big scare...

Denali was being her normal goofball self and was sneaking around in the pantry where she's not allowed. We try to keep it closed but we forget that sometimes as well.
She stopped making noise so I go over to see what she's doing. I saw her snooping in there and told her to get out, she didn't listen and that's when I saw it.
One of her tags got stuck in between the metal racks and it wouldn't have budged because she kept pulling on it to get out. It was her rabies tag and it was attached to those extra strong county rings.
She was choking herself out.
I hate to think of what would've happened if I didn't realize what was going on.

Just another reminder of why collars are dangerous even if there aren't any other dogs in the house.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #45 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Master Member

Re: Another scary reminder to take collars off

Good thing you were right there with her! I'm glad she was OK.

I've never taken Lexa's collar off in the house...I think I'll start after reading this

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #46 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Glad you caught it in time.I have started taking the collar off my little Mutt when they are out in the pen because Athena has figured how to get it off her.I am afraid one day she may get it stuck on her jaw like the neighbor's dog did and choke her to death.We managed to get her 2 dogs apart but they were pretty badly beaten up.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #47 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGGlad you caught it in time.I have started taking the collar off my little Mutt when they are out in the pen because Athena has figured how to get it off her.I am afraid one day she may get it stuck on her jaw like the neighbor's dog did and choke her to death.We managed to get her 2 dogs apart but they were pretty badly beaten up.
That's so scary!
I've read these kinda of stories before but since we don't have two dogs I's never bothered me too much to have her collar on at home.
But now I see those collars can get stuck in just about anything.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #48 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

I am a paranoid freak about collars... especially choke collars... after one pup I sold was tied by her stupid owner IN A KENNEL by the live ring... she jumped a 6' fence... they came home from the movies to find her body hanging by the collar from the fence.........

Another friend had 3 dogs, all buddies, who were wrestling while she was @ work. One got the jaw caught in the other's collar... her jaw was broken and the other dog strangled... The 1st dog was attached to the dead body for hours by her broken jaw...

Maybe rare occasions... but once is 3 times too many for my pack... so in the house or fenced yard they don't wear collars. In the car they do... or if we go hiking.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #49 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Banned

a friend of mine told me about a dog
having his collar stuck on the deck.
the flooring on the deck had a little space
between the boards. the dog laid down and the ring
on his collar went between the boards a turned just enough
so the dog couldn't get up. my friend and his friends saw it in time.

i saved a dog who got his collar caught on a picket fence. this dog
use to growl and bark at me all of the time. once i saved him
he never barked or growled at me again. i was able to pet him after i saved him.
post #50 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Elite Member

I used to be one who always left the collar on. Now that we have two, and they get a little frisky in the house once in awhile, we have started taking them off. I noticed them grabbing the collars when they were playing and that was the end of them wearing them in the house.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page