Another scary reminder to take collars off - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Bo and Bella got stuck

My best friend lost his female lab because his male GSD got his tooth caught in her collar when nobody was home. He strangled her and then had to carry her around for who knows how long until someone came home. I don't leave collars on in the house and I never leave two dogs together when nobody's home. Ever.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

Otto got stuck in Morgan's collar last winter (before I loosened it so it comes right off if he grabs it) He was screaming and she was pinning him down trying to get his teeth off, I ran at them thinking 'Oh she's finally snapped and she's going to kill that puppy!'

He always tries to grab her collar, she and I both correct him but he still does it.

I'd take her collar OFF but she'd follow me around with it until I put it back on. Rescues, what are you gonna do, it means a lot to her.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #33 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

Stark and Senna rough house ALL the time. For this reason, collars come off once they enter the house.

It makes me nervous to think of them getting caught somewhere.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Knighted Member

SO SO glad you were there and could help!!

Accidents like this happen so much more than people realize. It happened to my two- playing and Sasha got caught in Penny's collar. Someone was home and able to assist but Penny's eyes almost got squeezed out of her head! It was really scary!

So yes never leave the collars on, but if you insist that they wear one buy a breakaway collar- they break apart if hung up on something. And microchip- better than a collar anyways.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #35 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Knighted Member

OH MY gosh, your poor Penny, look at that scar! Is that permenant? How scarey.

I have had dogs my whole life and nothing ever happened with collars but I never had two big dogs at the same time like I do now.

They always are rough housing and grabbing each others necks.
They are right back at it today and now WITHOUT collars on. Looks better too with no collar. They both are micro chipped.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #36 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Thank goodness everyone is ok! I showed this to Philip last night. He used to think I was crazy for insisting the dogs don't wear their collars in the house. I'd try to tell him if they were playing and got stuck and we weren't home... etc etc etc...Of course that was before we lost Magnum. He finally believes me now and won't fight me on it, or leave collars on Mya or any other we adopt in the future.

mommy to:
Abby and Cambrin ~sugar gliders~
Taylor and Brandon~actual children~
Mya ~GSD~

and Magnum*Marley Ain't Got NUttin on Me* RIP sweet, darling boy, gone too soon, always in our hearts.
post #37 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Heidi W Is that permenant?
Her faced had to be shaved at the vet so they could clean the punctures made by Sasha's teeth. All the hair grew back and you could never tell now. The biggest concern that day was her eyes- they were huge and blood shot from her neck being squeezed.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #38 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Knighted Member

I am really glad she is better, my Dh was not aware of the danger either and I showed him my bruise on my hand from trying to free his teeth. Well I learned a valuable lesson.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #39 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks for posting this, because it made me realize I need to be careful when Bianca plays with her friend Calvin... Today they were at the park and I think Bianca's tooth got stuck on Calvin's collar for a second when she went to play-bite him. Calvin also chews on and play-bites Bianca's neck a lot so he could possibly get caught as well.
Although, I'm not sure what I can do about that since Calvin is not my dog and we can't really let the dogs play collarless in the city park... I guess I can put Bianca's breakaway collar on and maybe ask Calvin's owner if she can put his harness on instead of his collar when they play.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #40 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Master Member

I've had dogs for 30 years and just had the first bizarre collar accident a couple nights ago. Coco sleeps near the window in my bedroom, her collar got caught on an iron plant stand that held a VERY large, VERY heavy plant in clay pot. I woke up to the crash. Plant down, pot broken into many pieces, and Coco still attached to the plant's stand was clanging all around the room tripping and slipping and in a total panic. Thank God I was home to assist. I removed the stand from her neck & luckily the enormous plant didn't harm her when it fell.
My dogs have always worn collars and even after this incident, it didn't occur to me to remove the collar indoors! I never imagined such a weird accident could happen. I'm going to get breakaways. Thanks for this caution.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page