Another scary reminder to take collars off - Page 19 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 188 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Ya I noticed my shepherd would get frustrated when dogs would nip and get stuck on his collar and he would get angry. The other dog would of course get angry to because his jaw is being yanked around by a 80 pound dog. That would make me mad thats for sure haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkoli110 View Post
I'm sitting talking on the phone to my sister, and the dogs are laying down. Katie gets up, Titan gets up to follow her, and does his usual hanging on her collar routine he always does to bug her. Well I guess from doing it alot, he's loosened her collar up a bit, and his whole bottom jaw slipped in the collar, and when Katie went to move away from him, it twisted around his jaw so it was stuck. He starts howling and screaming, and she starts screaming, I toss the phone and jump up to see what was going on. They were only a step away from me, thank God. Katie is gagging and having a hard time breathing, the collar was basicly strangling her, and Titan is pulling on his jaw and her collar to get out. I grabbed him by the scruff to get him to stop, release her collar, and freed him. It took me a good 45 seconds to get him out of it. During all this he lets his anal glands go so now my house reeks. Scared the crap out of me, now I think we'll have to check Katie's collar every morning to make sure it doesn't happen again! Just glad I was there to see it happen and make sure they each didn't get hurt more. They're both fine now, Titan seems to be hiding in the corner, and Katie is lying next to me.
Wow Nikki, what a scary situation. Believe it or not my GS is named "Titan" too. Although, he is such a big baby the family has started calling him "Poo-Bear". As for the collar, I am not a big fan of those. In fact, tonight I am planning on buying him a tactical vest for when him and I go running. Right now, he is on a collar and leash, but when we are in the house (most of the time) the collar gets taken off and put up until it is time to go potty or recreational play.

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

This is real scary and thanks for sharing. I need to get Max microchipped or tattooed. I know our chihuahua had a collar and some how had his collar caught in his mouth I guess he was trying to take it off. Different story-a mom went in the house and her golden retriever and I think 7-8 year old daughter was outside playing the girl was wearing a scarf. The dog was playing and grabbed the girls scarf tugging it and accidently strangled the girl to death. It was accident but the family needed to rehome the dog to a family member as they were going through much self torment. Just another warning message to people out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Thanks for sharing the experience. I have a similar story that I will share when my account is activated and setup.
post #185 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 AM
Master Member

My dog stopped wearing a collar in the house when I got him micro chipped, one of the biggest reasons I got him micro chipped too. I keep a tagged collar in the car for outings.
Lydilove likes this.
post #186 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogcrew View Post
We live and learn. Glad you were there !
Our golden was strangled by the neighbor's husky.This happened back in the 80's, as I said we live and learn. Our golden was out in the yard, neighbor's husky came along, they were playing, I look out the window and the husky was pulling Lexie.Lexie was limp. I yelled for my husband, who ran out, I watched him pull his jack knife out. I didn't know yet what the problem was. Lexie wore a rolled red leather collar.My husband had to cut the collar. The husky had gotten his jaw caught up in the collar, it twisted.He strangled her.She was gone.I'm yelling, crying screaming. Then I remembered... a few weeks back I read an article how a man got his dog breathing again by picking her up by the hind legs and swinging her around.I had read this article at the time to my husband, and we both chuckled at the thought of swinging your dog by its hind legs.My husband picked Lexie up and swung her around and her gaurdian angel was with her !! We couldn't believe it ! Off to the vet, she was fine, just scared.I went home to try to find the article and could never find it, I still had all my magazines from the month.
Anyways, after that experience no more collars on my guys while they are playing or left alone together..I do many things different with my guys now than I did 25 years ago.
If you crate a dog, the tags on the collar can get caught in the mesh.
When I first got my dish washer, Matey was a good one for licking the plates as I was loading(yes its gross...it was short lived). I came in from her walk , I was in a hurry, didn't remove her collar right away.Started to load the plates, turned my back for second, heard crash, boom bang ! Her tags got caught in the lower basket, she panicked, pulled the basket out, sent corelle wear dishes smashing and splintering all over the floor.
Yep, we live and learn.
I still have to catch up on this thread but stopped to comment how awesome that story was. What if that article didnt exsist??? Or did for just a second, long enough for yall to gain the info then poof! lol crazy but cool. glad everything ended up okay!
Lydilove likes this.

Jupiter Rising!
post #187 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Ya I saw my shepherd would get disappointed when puppies would nip and stall out on his neckline and he would get furious. The other puppy would obviously get furious to on the grounds that his jaw is being yanked around
post #188 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:03 PM

My very first experience with a GSD was with my friend's puppy, a beautiful girl named Bounty. I fell in love with the breed immediately. When Bounty was seven or eight mos. old she had her neck broken when a much larger shepherd she was playing with got his canine tooth caught in her collar. He snapped her neck when he tried to shake free. I was about 7 at the time.

I don't keep collars on my dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page