Puppy loves water so much,knocking water bowl over - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Puppy loves water so much,knocking water bowl over

I have a 5 mos.old GS mix who loves the water.* I have always kept two bowls outside for my 10 yr old mix girl with no problems.* Since we've gotten our new pup, she will step in the water and pick up the bowl and spill them.* She loves to swim and we take her to a creek to swim some and sometimes to a lake in our area.* I even bought her a kids plastic pool that she could play in the yard.* I ended up having to get a big tub to put water in for their drinking water because she keeps knocking the water bowls over.* Last week she got an ear infection (the vet says because of all the water in her ears - says I'll need to clean them each night.* When she got the infection, we picked up her kiddie pool and drained it so she wouldn't get water in her ears while they are healing.* Well guess what, she figured out how to climb in the tub of water (their drinking water) and swim in that.* My concern is its real hot in our New Orleans area right now and we leave them in the yard some parts of the day and inside other parts of the day.* Right now, someone is usually home with them most of the day to check if they have water.* But in a month or so, they will be home by themselves more often and will have to stay outside more.* I am concerned about her draining all the water and then having nothing to drink.* Any ideas.* I never catch her doing it, so I can't correct her.* I guess I need to set up the pool again with water and maybe she'll leave the drinking water alone or drink the pool water. I'm glad she loves water, but whatever kind of bowl I put out for her to drink in (even the one inside, she steps in it to play.

Annie 10 yr old Heinz 57 (some terrier)
Gypsie 7 mos.old GS mix
Box Turtles (2 female, one male)
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Master Member

Re: Puppy loves water so much,knocking water bowl over

you could get an attachment for your outdoor faucet , they learn to lick it when they are thirsty..
here are some others i found when googling..couldn't find the one i was talking about, but they do exist

http://www.completepetmart.biz/cowad...FdFL5QodSFbY_A

http://www.officialdoghouse.com/site...31/page/629550
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Get a bucket with a handle and attach it to a post or fence:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Master Member

found it!
http://www.officialdoghouse.com/site...product/U-1729
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

That looks like a great idea. We don't have a faucet in our backyard, but we have a closet with a water heater. My husband is handy and could run a faucet out there. Thanks. For now, I'm going to try the bucket hanging up until he can run the faucet. Thanks Again!

Annie 10 yr old Heinz 57 (some terrier)
Gypsie 7 mos.old GS mix
Box Turtles (2 female, one male)
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Bucket works great! I have to do that for my dogs when they're in the pasture. If I fill up a water trough to the top, it'll be bone dry by afternoon. The dogs love to jump in and lay down in it, soaking the water into their coats. So I fill up a bucket hanging on the fence at a height that they can't step in it, but they can easily drink. That way they have water all day, even if they've sucked up the trough water.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Chum bowl. Stainless steel version of buddy bowl. Spoils all the fun. I think they make stainless steel version of the flat back bucket, too. (I don't like to use plastic.)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Master Member

My 7 week old puppy is crazy about her water bowl too. She will lay next to it and now she has decided she likes to play kick the bowl around with her paws.

I have begun to tell her no, and take her away from the bowl...I hope the correction works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page