Trail manners - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 PM
Administrator

In busy state parks or on weekends, as soon as I hear someone (or the dogs hear something) I step way off the trail and sit them. Even if that puts us in tall weeds or balanced on a rock or something.

I’ve had a few too many unpleasant run-ins, so I’ve adopted the overly cautious preventative approach. A lot of trail runners mouth “thanks”, and it also gives me the moral high ground when others go past with an out of control dog of any size.

Remote areas, I just keep walking. Everyone out there tends to have decent dogs and common sense, and after a sniff the dogs go their separate ways.
Saco and xthine like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

I always move my dogs to the side for runners, cyclists, etc., too. Nobody needs to encounter my dogs unless it is okay with them.

I belong to a couple of hiking and camping groups. One thing I see in the forums on the increase is people with out of control aggressive dogs on the trails. They refuse to muzzle their dogs and IMO subject other people and dogs to danger. If you say something in the groups about them prioritizing the safety of others or leaving dangerous dogs that they admit they can not control at home, they become quite violent. It's scary to think that out of control aggressive dogs can be out on remote trails in the hands of people that need anger management therapy.
LuvShepherds, Saco and xthine like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:51 AM
Elite Member

@xthine I don't have any advise I just want to say that Josie is beautiful and I love the doggles.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Unread 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
@xthine I don't have any advise I just want to say that Josie is beautiful and I love the doggles.

Awww thank you Springbrz!
-------

Thank you so much everyone for the responses! It's good to learn about different scenarios and different things that we can try! Will be keeping an eye on this thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Josie --- 10/18/18
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Unread 11-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm another one who moves to the side and puts the dog(s) in a sit stay -- it's not only safer and easier, but I feel like the one with the big, scary breed has to take the high-road in encounters, so as not to scare people with little dogs, kids, etc. who may be afraid of big dogs. I figure most other dogs may not have the training to even manage a sit-stay, so we can be the one to step aside.
car2ner likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

If people have dogs I make sure we give them plenty room and do a sit stay. People passing I just make sure there is enough room to pass. I have heard some jingle bells on dogs in trails and on occassion I put them on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 05:56 PM

It really depends. Last weekend on a fairly remote trail we ran into about 8 separate groups. I called in my older female and leashed her every time, but my younger female never bothers anyone and is friendly anyway, so I just let her walk past on her own. It can be very hard to pull off this trail in certain sections, so we just keep moving. No problems, people were friendly and complimentary, and all was well. If someone has a dog, I will go out of my way to get off trail because my older female can not stand rude "friendly" dogs. It's a tough trail so we didn't see anyone else with dogs. It was a great hike and I was so happy with the natural temperament of my younger girl- perfect trail dog- looks to me for direction and comes to me automatically when she sees someone, and then walks right by. It's important that she doesn't run up to people because some of the hikers are older and the footing is already unsteady. We don't see many kids but same goes for them. Nobody has ever complained about the dogs being off leash as long as they are aloof and controlled... in general the hikers are a pretty easy going bunch.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in