Is my dog manipulating me? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Took this a few minutes ago. She's such a cute derp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	derp.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	526163  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:49 PM

Oh a picture! Thank you! It's always lovely to see a face to the story.
Try and stay positive. She responded to your sadness, so you have the bond. That's the most important part.

My first rescue was a junk yard dog around me after our bond formed. I think rescues respond that way sometimes because they found their person and will throw down to keep them. I think mine was afraid to lose me at first. It took a while to reel mine back and she's been an amazing best bud to me through tons of life changes. I know it can be stressful but hang in there and try to focus on the positive. Seems to me, you're doing a great job.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 PM

She’s adorable!

I think new-to-GSD people get bogged down with obedience. Big strong dog needs to be under control. It would seem to make sense to get the dog up to speed on commands, but in fact you’ll have so much better obedience (and a happier dog) when you work on establishing a relationship first. Seriously that relationship is everything.

I am sooooo silly with my dogs. I make up stupid games with them (I slap Scarlet’s feet, she slaps my hands, or I hide and then sneak around so she can hear me, and she sneaks around trying to find me. I’m sure we look ridiculous, because we are both moving so slow. She thinks it’s a great game). She doesn’t like to play ball, but she’ll play fetch with a teeny tiny cat toy, the smaller the better. I have silly conversations with her. All this goofiness bonds us.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

I agree with those suggesting you take things a little slower.
I think it's great that you are able to take her to work with you. It sounds like she is comfortable being in her crate. If you have to work an extra long day and don't feel comfortable leaving her home so long maybe it would go better if you had a crate in your office. If it's a wire crate getting a crate cover might be helpful as well. She can be in her den safe. Hopefully she'd become comfortable with people coming in and out of the office knowing she is safe in her crate. Crating her in the work place also keeps coworkers safe as well. Just a possible option for the future.
Sabis mom likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 PM
Banned

We’ve all been there, no one is perfect. I got my behind handed to me when I decided to keep my foster permanently on here. For good reasons. My relationship was rocky, I was facing major surgery, the one and only breeder pup I’ve ever had broke her jaw at 9 weeks, and was steadily losing weight after it healed. Basically I couldn’t have chosen a worse time to add to our pack. Reading all the replies on here had me doing a mental tango, and I broke down after one crappy therapy session with DH. Found homes for all the dogs but my first dog, because I was so stressed out I just took everything the wrong way. Positive comments about what a bad time it was to add to the pack read like an attack to me. Looking back, it’s easy to see that my frame of mind at the time was making me read things the wrong way. I was so “in the moment” that I should have seen the mental breakdown coming, but I didn’t.

We (DH and I) decided together to make what we have work, no matter what it takes. It’s not always perfect or fun with 4 dogs in the house, they don’t always behave great or get along, they push me past my physical limits sometimes, and sometimes I just have to say eff this, and crate them or let them swim to get a break from the nonstop following me around. It’s easy to get so wrapped up and involved that you crash. In the end, they are dogs. We humans stress about stuff dogs don’t even care about. Give yourself a mental break, it’s not going to matter to your dog!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai555 View Post
And....the dang dog knew something was up and came right up to me and snuggled me until I felt better. She knows I don't like licking or being pawed at but she licked the tears off my cheeks and pawed at me and dammit if it didn't make me feel better.
Aw, she is a good dog!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Aw, she is a good dog!
Honestly...your dog sounds awesome and reminds me of my childhood dog, Duke, who we suspected was a husky/GSD mix. We got him as a puppy from the pound in Phoenix, but he was an outside dog for the first half of his life--we played with him and took him for walks, but otherwise he was out in the backyard. He was never properly socialized with people or dogs, and became quite aggressive to strangers as he got older. (I was 4 years old when we got him, so I take no responsibility for this!)

He actually ended up biting the neighbor girl while out on a walk when I was about 6-7 years old. It was a pretty bad bite on her forearm. My folks took him back to the pound, but he only lasted about an hour because we all were really sad so we went back and readopted him. We then got him neutered soonafter, which actually seemed to solve some of his aggression problems--he became pretty chill (and admittedly a little overweight). He was never exactly social, but he never showed any aggression to anyone ever again. We never once had him work with a trainer, and I'm pretty we didn't do much right when it came to training him ourselves.

Still...in hindsight, in my mind's eye, he was the perfect dog; he lived to be 16! He was so smart, but he had HORRIBLE recall until he was too old to move very fast, and definitely had that husky independence streak. Of course, I only remember the good things about him (and rarely think about the barking, the digging, the never coming back when we called him, the stubbornness, the prey drive with cats, how he always wanted to dominate every other dog he met), and can't help but compare everything Willow does to that childhood dog, which isn't fair to her.

So anyway, your comments in particular, and my memories of Duke, make me hopeful that Willow will come round with her fear aggression issues. And even if it takes a while---Duke had his problems, we didn't know what the heck we were doing, but he had a good life and we loved him until he died. So just because Willow might have issues doesn't mean we can't make it work. :-)

Last edited by banzai555; 10-12-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Adding a picture of Duke because I can't help it. :-)

I used to tell everybody he was a dingo, haha. Looking back at the pics, I have no idea...his feet are kinda heeler-ish but his head sure says GSD and/or husky (especially the eyes, of course). And who knows where that brown body color came from! He was about 70 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duke.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	526215  
Sabis mom likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai555 View Post
Honestly...your dog sounds awesome and reminds me of my childhood dog, Duke, who we suspected was a husky/GSD mix. We got him as a puppy from the pound in Phoenix, but he was an outside dog for the first half of his life--we played with him and took him for walks, but otherwise he was out in the backyard. He was never properly socialized with people or dogs, and became quite aggressive to strangers as he got older. (I was 4 years old when we got him, so I take no responsibility for this!)

He actually ended up biting the neighbor girl while out on a walk when I was about 6-7 years old. It was a pretty bad bite on her forearm. My folks took him back to the pound, but he only lasted about an hour because we all were really sad so we went back and readopted him. We then got him neutered soonafter, which actually seemed to solve some of his aggression problems--he became pretty chill (and admittedly a little overweight). He was never exactly social, but he never showed any aggression to anyone ever again. We never once had him work with a trainer, and I'm pretty we didn't do much right when it came to training him ourselves.

Still...in hindsight, in my mind's eye, he was the perfect dog; he lived to be 16! He was so smart, but he had HORRIBLE recall until he was too old to move very fast, and definitely had that husky independence streak. Of course, I only remember the good things about him (and rarely think about the barking, the digging, the never coming back when we called him, the stubbornness, the prey drive with cats, how he always wanted to dominate every other dog he met), and can't help but compare everything Willow does to that childhood dog, which isn't fair to her.

So anyway, your comments in particular, and my memories of Duke, make me hopeful that Willow will come round with her fear aggression issues. And even if it takes a while---Duke had his problems, we didn't know what the heck we were doing, but he had a good life and we loved him until he died. So just because Willow might have issues doesn't mean we can't make it work. :-)
The dog I have now is rotten. Seriously. She sucks. More issues then National Geographic. But I love her anyway and we make it work.

My favorite dog from my childhood was a dog named Dog. By most standards I suppose he was terrible, but we were both strays and he was my best friend.

No dog is perfect, they all have issues. So do we. Sometimes you just need to pick your battles, decide which hill you want to die on. My biggest thing; decide what you can live with and what you can't live without. I would be lost without Shadow, so I decided that all her weirdness and jackassery was a small price to pay. She will never like other dogs, she will never be ok with random strangers grabbing at her, she will never think I am more important then the scent she is tracking. But she will always be ready with a grin and a frisbee when I am having a crap day, she will always wake me up by rolling on top of me, she will always need me to watch her eat her food and she will always be happy to watch TV and cuddle.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Master Member

Duke could pass for a dingo! He looks very cool. :-) I hope my dog makes it to 16!

I agree with @Sabis mom...having a dog is having a Relationship. It's messy and not perfect (because no living being is perfect...). You kind of figure out what their unique quirks / strengths are and learn how to deal/live with them.

I think your dog sounds like a good dog. She can be crated 8 hrs and is OK! She has empathy with you. She is a bit fearful/nervous currently, but she hasn't been with you long and is learning her new routine/environment. If she's allowed in your office and you have your own separate office, I'd bring her in with me a couple of days a week, and take her for a walk around lunchtime, and teach her how to settle quietly behind my work area (no need to get petted by or interact with visitors at all). Like Springbrz said, a crate there could work too. Observing people come and go, just being around things, will be good for her. Hopefully she hangs out quietly (like my dog does when I work from home)...and will let you concentrate! Anyway I would try things more like that- life things, just being with her a lot and getting to know her (especially, what are the triggers for her aggressive or unacceptable behavior) and then you can train/work with her.

As time passes, you learn how your dog thinks...for instance, my dog and I recently exchanged a glance of amusement! We were passing a neighbor's yard one night and their fluffy small white dog was out. She was snuffling and huffing on the other side of the bushes. Just as we passed the boundary of her yard, she began to bark ferociously at us. Rumo looked at me and I looked at him and we were both thinking the same thing:"Now that we're past and safely out of range, she wants to show that she's a Big Fierce Dog!" We were both amused, I could see it in his expression.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page