Tedious Behaviour - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Tedious Behaviour

My girl is 3 years old. She went through a stage where she would take a 'dislike' to 1 out of 10 dogs she met but she has been so much better. Last week my daughter took her for a walk and said she was amazing, lots of dogs without reacting at all, impeccable recall until they got to the car park and met a black lab who was minding it's own business and my girl pounced. Daughter was mortified, called our girl back and apologised.
So today my family held a surprise birthday party for me and my brother bought his new 4 month black lab puppy and my girl wasn't having any of it. The pup is a joy, incredibly submissive and certainly not in my girls face. In the end I crated my girl (she loves her crate) but then she just barked and barked unless I was in the room with her. Party and pup in another room. We did get it so that they could be in the same room together, mine on a leash, pup the other side of the room. I have no idea why my girl didn't like this pup. The pup didn't do anything wrong.
Would meeting off territory help? The fact is that at the moment i can't take my dog to any gathering that includes the pup. And I am so disappointed, my girl is a joy but today i could find no excuse for her behaviour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Meeting on home turf is always iffy. My big-boy is pretty good around other dogs as we walk by. We even had our club train in our yard before, with numerous dogs. Our family has brought their dogs and even though we crated and rotated their and ours, they accepted that the others were around. But one day a co-worker came with his new pup and my boy just barked and scared the little guy. It was all of a 5 minute visit. The pup did nothing but it was NOT worth scaring the little guy any more.

If we were going to introduce dogs we generally decide off home turf is the better idea. A pack walk helps dogs see that we expect to share a goal. Dogs might not become fast friends but they do realize that we are "in this together". I hope in time you son's dog and yours see that, too.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Banned

I’ve found that off territory helps with Crios. If the dogs meet in my home, he’s not aggressive with them, but does try all the dominate dog crap with them. If they meet outside the house, he’s their best friend. Doesn’t make a difference with Lyka, she will accept any puppy willingly, but adult dogs, nope, no matter where they are. So we manage her by putting her in our room if my nieces want to bring their dogs over for play time. The pups are both fine, but they are still pups, I imagine this will change as they age.

Sorry about your issues, it’s fairly common in the breed, and management and training to ignore other dogs will go a long way towards helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

Well, both these dogs were short haired black dogs. My eldest was unfriendly to short haired black dogs I thought because the neighbor's black pit mix bitch had said nasty things to her as a puppy (at the fence.) This persisted for several years. But now black dogs are OK, short haired black dogs are OK. So perhaps something happened to your dog with a short haired black dog as the antagonist? On the other hand, maybe mine's dislike was not particularly triggered by the neighbor's dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in