Trained 14m GSD with 18m toddler? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck94!
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 2 Post By Thecowboysgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Trained 14m GSD with 18m toddler?

Guys we have been connected with a wonderful dog. He has basic commands down to a tee through work with a professional handler. He comes from a home with a cat and a 6 year old child. We have an 18m toddler. My concern is being able to work Gsd enough. Handler reccos being alone with him while I walk him so I’m not distracted by my toddler so he gets attention and quality time which i appreciate- but does that mean no family walks??? Or Does every walk have to be with toddler in stroller? Will I be able to take toddler out of stroller on walks and GSD get used to these slow times during the walk? I guess in general what would this look like with a toddler if anyone has experience- excited toddler who wants to hug- he knows to be gentle but really wants to hug the dog. We do have a yard . I grew up with a German Shepherd but I’m sad to say they were hardly ever walked for a number of years as my dad was raising three kids alone.thank you so much for your insight and experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Master Member

It's up to you on how you want to do it. You could do just a walk with your GSD in the morning before work, and then a more leisure family walk in the evening.
Aly likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Knighted Member

That sounds like a good question for the trainer and current owner of the dog. The answer probably depends a lot on the indiviudal dog (it's energy level and behavior) and the confidence/skill/experience level of the handler.

If the dog is a heavy puller or reactive on leash (lunges, barkes, hackles at dogs or people, ect.) then it may not be wise to walk him with a toddler. That's just a lot to safely manage.

I'd probably walk him alone for a while (or when there's another person with you to manage the kids) so that you can get a feel for the dog, his temperment, how he reacts to things, and how to work with him.

I walk our GSDs (well, I'll choose one of our two) with our two-year-old and four-year-old sons all the time. This was much easier when I could put the kids in the double stroller. Now they prefer to walk, which makes things a bit more challenging. Although I go on easy outings with just myself, a dog, and the kids, I am the most at ease when I am with another person who can help corral the un-leashed members of my family.

So, yes, in answer to your question, I think you should be able to go on family walks if the GSD is trained and non-reactive, especially if someone else comes along to help you. I just wouldn't count on it as the dog's primary form of exercise, especially if he's young and active.

My GSDs have been nothing but patient, but even so I try to discourage the kids from hugging/groping at them; that puts the child right at face level, a dangerous place to be if the dog were to bite. Most dogs don't like to be hugged (and even if my dogs tolerate it, the neighbor's dog might not), and I just prefer for them them to interact in other ways.

When the boys want to interact with the dogs, I help them to pet or scratch them in appropriate places, or I will give them a soft bristled dog brush and help them to groom the dogs along their backs and sides. If we're out on a walk, sometimes they want to help, so I'll hold the leash up front and let the kids hold the back of the leash where they can't put any tension on it. If we're training, I'll sometimes let the kids give the treats (don't do this if your dog isn't gentle around food), or I'll let the boys give the commands while I'm standing nearby to give the hand signal so they obey. I tend to not let the kids touch the dogs' paws or ears because they're just sensative areas. I also put the dogs away when I feed them or if I give them high value treats/toys.

Good luck in your dog-search. Sounds like you have found a wonderful family dog. Be sure to keep us updated and to post pictures.
IllinoisNative likes this.

Last edited by sebrench; 09-18-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

Why is the current home getting rid of the dog?
Aly and LuvShepherds like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page