German Shepherds Forum banner

Question about bitch-behavior

685 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
I have Hepsi who was 8 years in March in with Kaiah who is about 10 months old, and Cujo2 who was six in January. Cujo2 is fixed. They have an indoor/outdoor kennel. And have been together since Babsy passed in May. Before that Cujo2 and Hepsi were kenneled together and Kaiah was with Babs.

So the two bitches were not put together right off the bat, but they seem to be fine together.

This week, I've noticed that when I put them in the yard to clean their area and others, I have a half-doghouse out there, so just the top, which has half the opening, and Hepsi has been squeezing under there and staying in there. That doesn't bother me particularly. When I call she generally comes out.

Add the toy. I've been throwing a lot of Quinnie's toys to the girls in the house, Usually toys are kept away from the dogs except when they are inside and I can supervise because Karma is a serial toy murderer, and so is Joy. Well, anyway, some love their toys and do not gut them immediately.

Hepsi has decided that one of the toys is her puppy. She took it out into the field and squeezed into her "den" and left it in there, and made the mistake of telling her to go and get her toy, since I saw her take it out there. She squeezed back in the den and got the toy, I saw it in her mouth, but then she wouldn't leave the den. Finally I got her and she brought the toy in. That is when I noticed that she may be thinking this is her pup or something.

She's never been bred. But she won't put it down to eat or anything.

Isn't 8 kind of old for false pregnancies and weird bitch-behavior?

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea, but I had one dog that loved one stuffed animal too. Is there a way she can keep it or will the other want it?

Reactions: selzer
#3 ·
That does sound like a false pregnancy. How long ago was she in season and does she have milk? I know of one dog who claimed a phone as her puppy. It wold be a reason for me to spay Deja if she had to got through this. I would not put her in with another female anyway, especially now.

#4 ·
My 6 year old is the only un-spayed female I've owned so not that experienced with their behavior, but...When she's in heat she collects rocks and moves them from points A to B in the yard. She makes a pile and then lays down with it. Rinse and repeat multiple times a day. (not small rocks either, she's been known to move bricks) If I move one of the rocks she'll run over and move it back to where it was. She started doing this when she was about 3. Never does it any other time. I'm guessing it's a hormone thing?

#5 ·
Shadow will be 9 around October 1. She has Lambie who is her puppy always, she gets very distressed if she can't find the darn thing and she is very protective of it. At various times in her cycle she adds a ball, a dragon, a bear thing and some creature not yet defined. I just compliment her on her beautiful pups and carry on. If there are people around and she is stressed she puts them in my lap. Apparently I protect them.
The only thing I would worry about is if your other dogs get it she may react. I was told it is normal and as long as there is no aggression or real stress to let it be.

#6 ·
She deliberately left it in the yard today. And she went in the house and right to the food bucket. So she is eating. I think she is afraid to let it down with Cujo2 and Kaiah in with her, because they may get it. So she left it in the yard in the den where they (and she) can't get to it.

I wonder what they are thinking, but at least she is eating.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.