Sports/jobs for dog with very high prey drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Is there any sports that’d be great to utilize a strong prey drive in? Kuru has quite the drives that seem to heighten by the day and I would rather use it and control it completely rather than attempt to train it out and go against her instinct.
She doesn’t possess strong protective drives ( yet, she’s still a puppy ) and doesn’t really bite toys or else I’d get her into ipo as she has the nerve. I’m not much educated on many other sports as I’ve only worked with ipo, some agility and Dock diving. I wanted to maybe try herding but I know she’ll defiantly rather eat the sheep lol.. she definitely has the ‘ see, Chase, GRAB, KILL ‘ thing going on. any suggestions?
She’s in scent detection right now and enjoys it but I’m wondering if I can do something else with her as well. She really enjoys chasing.. lure coursing maybe?

* and no, I’ve never let her kill anything and I keep on top but I must say there’s been a close call with a bird or two when she was younger and lacked training. *

Last edited by Kennaandkurama; 07-12-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 AM
Crowned Member

How old is she and how are you playing / interacting with her and the toy that she isn’t interested in biting it.... no chase or grab at all? Have you tried a flirt pole?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

She’s 6 1/2 months. She will go after a flirt pole like crazy, but doesn’t really like tugs as much as say my malinois did.. she will chase it around and bite it but not long, nothing I can work off yet

Ive managed to get her tug liking up significantly though in the few months I’ve had her, and she’s biting much more.
At first she would not go after it, maybe got a bite in if I got lucky. When she would I’d shake around for a moment and let her have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennaandkurama View Post
At first she would not go after it, maybe got a bite in if I got lucky. When she would I’d shake around for a moment and let her have it.
I don’t know your training experience and obviously I don’t have eyes on the situation but one thing that I had to learn and that I see incredibly often is people who don’t actually know how to play/use a tug. Seems self explanatory and a “soft start” generally isn’t needed for a breed like a Malinois, but the actual battle of tugging and the way it looks “on tv”.... comes much much later when it doesn’t already come natural to the dog.

To create the drive, the dog needs to win, A LOT. And they need to feel like they really won... not that you simply released the toy or gave up. At the slightest bit of pressure/resistance, let them win! As they start to work harder to win, increase the pressure and praise wildly to keep them engaged and wanting to return. They should be teasing you and pushing into you to keep the game going... not the other way around. If they growl they win, if they paw at it, they win, if they seem like they’re gonna shake it adjust your grip and let them shake it right out of your hand, etc etc..... let them initiate the shaking/thrashing. I don’t introduce outs at the early stages and I don’t combine games of fetch and tug at the same time.

Pardon me if I’m preaching to the choir.... like I said, I just see mistakes in this area so often. I also hear ppl with the old mindset that you should never play tug or let a dog win because it creates dominance yada yada yada...

Anyway, back on topic...
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

Last edited by Fodder; 07-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Crowned Member

You can direct that drive into anything and use the prey drive to train and reward. Obedience, dock diving (I'm going to do this with Seger next year once he's retired from IPO), agility!! (So much fun)
Katsugsd likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 AM

What Fodder said, sometimes it isn't a natural thing for a dog to play tug. Heck, my shiba inu plays tug way better than my other two. He re-engages quickly when he wins, flipping his head with the toy in his mouth like "grab it again, lets go!" He played it from the get go, though. Katsu is getting there, and Steel is too - right now we're playing more fetch (Frisbee). I'm doing lots of letting them win. Steel, I let him win then pull out a 2nd tug to get him to re-engage. He'll drop the first and come for the 2nd. Rinse and repeat. Super short sessions, and usually at the end, he'll bring up the first in his mouth. Lots of praise/pets while he's in possession of the tug. I've made enough conflict with him in daily living that I'm trying to undo now.

Lure Coursing/FastCATs definitely!
High prey with good hunt - Barnhunt if it's around you (Steel goes crazy for this game).
You could try one of those DiscDog/UpDog games if she'll chase a Frisbee - she may be too young to jump right now, but rolling it on the floor is a good start.
Just about any sport can harness prey drive. You just got to learn how to manipulate it.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
To create the drive, the dog needs to win, A LOT. And they need to feel like they really won... not that you simply released the toy or gave up. At the slightest bit of pressure/resistance, let them win! As they start to work harder to win, increase the pressure and praise wildly to keep them engaged and wanting to return. They should be teasing you and pushing into you to keep the game going... not the other way around. If they growl they win, if they paw at it, they win, if they seem like they’re gonna shake it adjust your grip and let them shake it right out of your hand, etc etc..... let them initiate the shaking/thrashing.
^ This. If she's going for the flirt pole you shouldn't have any trouble getting her to go for a tug, she has the drive. What kind of tug are you using? At her age, I'd start with something fairly soft, thick braided fleece is great for puppies. Once she's really into tugging you can introduce something firmer.

A long time ago I got a firehose tug for my dogs and they were just not that into it. I tried a braided fleece tug and they loved it. And once they grasped the concept of tug we could play with the firehose one too, it was just too hard for them to be interested in at first. Linen or suede tugs are softer to the bite too, much better for puppies.

One thing I do differently from Fodder is that I do sometimes combine fetch and tug. My puppy was already a great fetcher and really liked to tug, so I'd toss it and encourage her to bring it back to me to tug some more. But even now (18 months) I let her win a lot, she yanks it out of my hands and comes right back for more.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

^ very good point bringing up the type & materiel of the tug
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips! She does do exactly what you mentioned with the winning thing, and that’s how we’ve progressed and encouraged that behavior. I went about it how I was taught, which is a little different than mentioned, and it seemed to help but I’ll focus more on what you guys were saying to give it a go! I’m relatively new to working dogs, having only 4 years experience. Kuru is my 2nd puppy and I’m still learning myself. Once again thank you!
And when I meant tug I meant something she could tug on. It had a squeaker which she loves and everything. Not the same thing but same idea? Lol. My apologies for some poor explaining.

Last edited by Kennaandkurama; 07-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Also, with tennis balls... or anything I throw.. she will chase them down, retrieve a couple times, I’ll reward her, I’ll throw it again, she will chase it.. till it stops, and wont even bother picking it up. This process has gotten a few throws longer each time. I think we are up to about 7... lol. I did get a ball that squeaks and she highly favors this one as she squeaks it in her mouth.

One time though I got two of her favorite toys and threw them continuously, the second she’d bring one back I’d get her focus on another and have it set sail. She loved it, and did it about 15 times before she got tired and laid down to chew one. Does that help any? Should I try it more?

Edit: please reply in pm actually, and anyone else with advise please pm me! I’d love to learn more and different methods of training so we find the best one that works for us!

Last edited by Kennaandkurama; 07-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page