My GS pup doesnít want to be touched - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 391Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowacky View Post
But shoving him out of his comfort zone to make progress seems contrary to almost all the advice I’ve received. At 18 weeks now he’s strong as a bull! Shoving him out of his comfort zone could only mean trapping him and getting a collar and leash on him. That could be very difficult and I sure think it would set back the progress I’ve made.
There are some things you have to just do, and let them get over it. Prolonging it isn't the answer. I'd put a collar and a drag line on and then just leave him loose with it for a while. Keep an eye on him so he doesn't chew the line. Also, heart worm is prescription only. They draw blood before they'll start him on it.

Edit: Jax gave a good explanation and plan. Basically with the leash and collar you'll have opportunities that will be a lot more effective then the idea of having to "trap" him.
Jax08 and dogfaeries like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve Strom; 07-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

It’s the whole idea of how much damage to our trust and how long would the negative effects of getting trapped last? Since I’ve only had 5 weeks to win him over don’t you believe I should be patient for another month or so before forcing him?
post #63 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
But shoving him out of his comfort zone to make progress seems contrary to almost all the advice Iíve received. At 18 weeks now heís strong as a bull! Shoving him out of his comfort zone could only mean trapping him and getting a collar and leash on him. That could be very difficult and I sure think it would set back the progress Iíve made.
That's ok. They never learn to deal with stress if you don't let them have stress. If you leave him in his comfort zone then you are never going to get anywhere with him. Push him a little and show him that it's ok.

I would start with the food bowl thing and touching him when he's playing tug first before you tried to lasso him. And make sure you touch him all over. Start slow with your hand close to him. Then start moving it over him. Then start touching him. I bet you can touch him without him shying away within a week.
LuvShepherds and Sabis mom like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I heard from his sister’s owners, They put a long leash on her and would slowly work up the leash and pet her. They said she got used to that.

It just seems that you have one chance to do it slowly. I’ll resort to forcing him but I’m going to try patience first.

I’ve read so much that I should wait for him to show he trusts me.
post #65 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

I think the advice you got was terrible. I would have been holding and feeding him constantly as a 12 week old when I could still physically handle him.
dogfaeries, Aly, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.

post #66 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I heard from his sisterís owners, They put a long leash on her and would slowly work up the leash and pet her. They said she got used to that.

It just seems that you have one chance to do it slowly. Iíll resort to forcing him but Iím going to try patience first.

Iíve read so much that I should wait for him to show he trusts me.
Do this when he is in drive playing with the ball and he will be far more tolerant. You may just have some genetically shy dogs on top of the imprinting.

post #67 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I can literally hold his food in my hands and he will eat. He follows me everywhere. He plays tug. He just doesn’t want me to touch him.
post #68 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

I understand all of that. I'm saying to use that drive he has for food and tug to teach him that you touching him is ok. Tug tug tug, you touch him, be excited and tell him yes good boy and tug more. You touching him GETS more of what he wants.

I firmly believe that if you do not do this and show him it's ok that this behavior will never change. He IS interacting with you so he's not shying from you. He just doesn't understand that you touching him is a good thing.
Aly, Sabis mom, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.

post #69 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Last thing, then I’ll leave you to your decision to wait another month before vetting.

Internal parasites are unlikely to be seen. Roundworms are really the only ones that can be seen, and that’s when they’ve reached maturity, and they look like spaghetti noodles. I’ve had a foster pup that the shelter said was wormed, and didn’t need it for another 2 weeks. 2 days later, I woke to a bloody crate and a panicked puppy. His worm load was so heavy, he ended up with a anal prolapse. His intestines were literally hanging about 8 inches out of his rear. To the emergency vet 1 1/2 hours away. They reinserted the intestines, and showed up how to do the same. When the regular vet opened, we called to schedule surgery. Every time he pooped, he pooped out intestines, and we would have to reinsert until he went into surgery.

Not saying that’s going to happen to your pup, but no one but a vet with proper equipment can see the internal parasites, they are invisible to the naked eye.

Going potty inside the house?!?! For a month?!? I don’t envy you trying to retrain the pup that potty inside is off limits. Some of those parasites I was talking about? Those can infect a human via pet transference. You’re increasing your risk, as well as the pup, by letting him potty inside.

I’m sorry, but it seems like you are putting your fears onto your puppy, and not taking actual responsibility for him. You need to get over the “what if’s” and vet your dog.
post #70 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I’ve just received a suggestion that sounds smart to me. That’s to ask my vet for a tranquilizer. Then when the dog is droggy I’ll put on the collar and leash. Then we’ll see the vet. After that I believe I’ll leave the leash attached. I’ll begin working slowly down the long leash and get him used to my touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page