My GS pup doesnít want to be touched - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 353Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Unless I misunderstood, I totally disagree with the comment regarding nuisance dogs. I was born an animal lover and my entire lifestyle has always been, and still is, built all around them.

Like another has posted, I strongly dislike a pesky dog. An overly affectionate dog or one that does not respect personal space can be extremely stressful to live with. Not needing a dog to constantly fawn on them is not a sign of character weakness but I would suspect just the opposite. IME, I think people who seek an overly affectionate dog are the ones trying to fill their own empty gaps vs a love of dogs or animals. What an offensive thing to insinuate!
My comment was not directed at you. My comment was not regarding likes and dislikes- we all have likes and dislikes. I did not insinuate anything. I was pretty clear. No one should go around despising animals for the only reason they are not one’s cup of tea. It’s not a strong character trait - it just is not. Despise is quiet a strong word and will get a response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

How did we get from a puppy that isnít affectionate to being a bad person if we donít like all dogs, even nuisance dogs? We all have different ideas of acceptable behaviors and those we canít tolerate. I hated when relativesí dogs would try to climb up my legs with sharp little toenails and ruin my clothing while they did it. The owners would say, just pick them up and they will stop jumping on you. Why would I want to pick up an overly excited out of control dog when I was dressed up? I canít stand dogs that are out of control. Now, my working line is unusually friendly and loves guests as long as itís Ok with me. He barks and does the watch dog thing until I give permission to stop or tell him thank you. Then he wants to socialize. My trainer said to cut that behavior back so heís not so intrusive and we have. Why shouldnít I expect other dog owners to be as respectful of me as I am of them? I intentionally donít own lap dogs for a reason. People have told me my dogs scare them or asked me to keep my dogs away and I do. So, why should I be subjected to bad behaviors from their dogs? This is not about loving dogs. Itís about raising dogs to be good citizens out in the world in in peopleís homes. Why else would AKC have the CGC awards program in place?
tc68, Muskeg, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
post #33 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
How did we get from a puppy that isn’t affectionate to being a bad person if we don’t like all dogs, even nuisance dogs? We all have different ideas of acceptable behaviors and those we can’t tolerate. I hated when relatives’ dogs would try to climb up my legs with sharp little toenails and ruin my clothing while they did it. The owners would say, just pick them up and they will stop jumping on you. Why would I want to pick up an overly excited out of control dog when I was dressed up? I can’t stand dogs that are out of control. Now, my working line is unusually friendly and loves guests as long as it’s Ok with me. He barks and does the watch dog thing until I give permission to stop or tell him thank you. Then he wants to socialize. My trainer said to cut that behavior back so he’s not so intrusive and we have. Why shouldn’t I expect other dog owners to be as respectful of me as I am of them? I intentionally don’t own lap dogs for a reason. People have told me my dogs scare them or asked me to keep my dogs away and I do. So, why should I be subjected to bad behaviors from their dogs? This is not about loving dogs. It’s about raising dogs to be good citizens out in the world in in people’s homes. Why else would AKC have the CGC awards program in place?

What are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Not being able to dislike dogs we don’t like. When a dog misbehaves, I don’t like it very much. I’ve personally had it with small loose dogs charging my big dogs and owners getting angry with me or laughing while refusing to control their dogs. So, no, I’m not a fan of most small breeds, except for herding breeds. What did I miss?
post #35 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:
Not being able to dislike dogs we don’t like. When a dog misbehaves, I don’t like it very much. I’ve personally had it with small loose dogs charging my big dogs and owners getting angry with me or laughing while refusing to control their dogs. So, no, I’m not a fan of most small breeds, except for herding breeds. What did I miss?
You may interpret my comment however you like. To me there is a big difference between not liking something and despising or loathing something. What am I missing?

post #36 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

I think some people triggered at the word despise while others triggered at the character assassination for not liking in your face or nuisance kind of dogs.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #37 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Not being able to dislike dogs we donít like. When a dog misbehaves, I donít like it very much. Iíve personally had it with small loose dogs charging my big dogs and owners getting angry with me or laughing while refusing to control their dogs. So, no, Iím not a fan of most small breeds, except for herding breeds. What did I miss?
I have read many threads on this forum regarding people complaining about off leash dogs. When you cut to the chase, it often comes down to people not giving a hoot about a dog being off leash but about the dog not having the manners to stay out of another's personal space coupled with owners who don't care to do something about their dog's intrusion. Just a wild speculation based on observations, maybe most GSD kind of people appreciate a dog that is less needy / clingy with a sense of independence with the ability to self entertain at our feet, in the next room, or in the backyard. Then again, maybe it is just me and what I like about German Shepherds.
LuvShepherds likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #38 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Administrator

ADMIN comment, responding to the reports on this thread -

Guys, it’s a holiday weekend - please be decent.

We should be able to talk about different types of dogs without getting nasty toward someone who prefers what you yourself don’t.
post #39 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
You may interpret my comment however you like. To me there is a big difference between not liking something and despising or loathing something. What am I missing?
What you are missing is the time stamp. Our two posts were sent within a few minutes of each other. I was writing my reply when you posted, then it looked like I was replying to you when I was answering the general comments above and hadn’t even seen your post. Let’s back up and go to the original post about affection. I have been offline with guests and haven’t been keeping up.

To everyone: I think affection in our breed can be confusing. My first GSD as an adult was a family dog who adored children. She adored my spouse. I was busy, working, raising kids, taking care of the house and didn’t have as much time for her as everyone else did. So, she was pleasant to me but adored them. I could have assumed she didn’t like me as much or was not as affectionate, but in the end it didn’t matter. The funny part was because my interactions with her were limited, I mostly walked her and trained her. I worked part of time from home, so we were together even when I was ignoring her. So, she ended up being more aloof with me but also much better behaved.

My WL is very affectionate but it took the first two years of rewarding behaviors I wanted before it became automatic. He didn't like restraint so he pulled away from hugs. Now he doesn’t. This is a very responsive breed to consistent training and handling. Behaviors can be taught, especially in puppies.
Sabis mom, Jenny720 and bnormal like this.
post #40 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I have read many threads on this forum regarding people complaining about off leash dogs. When you cut to the chase, it often comes down to people not giving a hoot about a dog being off leash but about the dog not having the manners to stay out of another's personal space coupled with owners who don't care to do something about their dog's intrusion. Just a wild speculation based on observations, maybe most GSD kind of people appreciate a dog that is less needy / clingy with a sense of independence with the ability to self entertain at our feet, in the next room, or in the backyard. Then again, maybe it is just me and what I like about German Shepherds.
Maybe I like dogs and not the owners. Maybe off leash doesn’t bother me as much as bad behavior. I will think about that more before making up my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page