My GS pup doesn’t want to be touched - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 391Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
None of my dogs are overly affectionate. They like to be near me but not on me. I think that is fairly typical of the breed.

What have you been doing to form a bond that you both enjoy?
This is my experience as well. The only time any of them really climb on me is in the morning. They'll come over periodically if I'm sitting for attention but always lay on the floor near me. All the shepherds I know, mine and my friends, are like this. Seems pretty typical.

I'm more concerned of the statement that the dog "won't let me" touch him. That is not typical. I hope the OP better explains is it that he "won't" be touched or he's not craving contact and attention like a Doberman would. Now THAT is a velcro breed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
This is my experience as well. The only time any of them really climb on me is in the morning. They'll come over periodically if I'm sitting for attention but always lay on the floor near me. All the shepherds I know, mine and my friends, are like this. Seems pretty typical.

I'm more concerned of the statement that the dog "won't let me" touch him. That is not typical. I hope the OP better explains is it that he "won't" be touched or he's not craving contact and attention like a Doberman would. Now THAT is a velcro breed.
There have been several threads here where people posted pictures of their dogs laying on their feet while they played on the computer. It is a common joke, velcro on the foot, so to speak.

I don't know where people get any dog that doesn't crave to be touched. They are the exception with almost any breed, in my experience. Most of them have some velcro in them. But maybe that's just me.
post #13 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm97 View Post
There have been several threads here where people posted pictures of their dogs laying on their feet while they played on the computer. It is a common joke, velcro on the foot, so to speak.

I don't know where people get any dog that doesn't crave to be touched. They are the exception with almost any breed, in my experience. Most of them have some velcro in them. But maybe that's just me.
Dude...I'm not engaging. This thread is not about you or your dogs. You aren't the only one on this board to own this breed and others can share their experiences without you hijacking the thread to continuously argue your experience and opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

When I want it, its affection. When I don't, its pestering. That's what obedience is for. Or sometimes the kennel cause I'm lazy.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Dude...I'm not engaging. This thread is not about you or your dogs. You aren't the only one on this board to own this breed and others can share their experiences without you hijacking the thread to continuously argue your experience and opinion.
Back at ya. Here's a clue. If two groups of people report wildly different experiences with the same breed, it's probably the person.
post #16 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowacky View Post
My pup is 17 was old now and I’ve had him for 4 weeks. He’s very calm and follows me everywhere. He will play with toys. He’s perfect in every way but he will not let me touch him. He was not socialized at all by the breeder.

Should I continue to wait for him to approach me? I understand he will lick me or put his head on my lap when he trusts me. How long could this take and should I do anything to accelerate this process? He needs a vet visit but he has not had a collar or leash on him to date.

Back on topic....

He was 12 weeks old when you got him? I originally read that as 17 months old? But he's 17 weeks?

What does "not socialized at the breeders" mean? What did the breeder not do that you think they should have done?

What do you mean he won't let you touch him? At all? He's not pushing you for attention? You say he follows you everywhere, which is engaging with you so he's not avoiding you.

Is he struggling when you try to hold him? Perfectly normal reaction. They want DOWN. Is he trying to bite you when you try to touch him? Again, perfectly normal. How are you playing with him?

After reading your post again, I'm not really sure what you are expecting from a puppy in terms of being touched and held.

And get that collar and leash on him. He needs to get used to that.

post #17 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Back at ya. Here's a clue. If two groups of people report wildly different experiences with the same breed, it's probably the person.

What you have described is more of the lab/golden behavior or personality. I despise a dog that is all over me. Needy, nagie, attention craving. Not for me! I like the aloofness of the breed. To me, velcro dog is more of where I go he goes...but never literally stuck to me. If a dog is that sticky, it is a bad thing for me. Don't forget, the breed was used for herding, they needed to be able to work on their own, not stuck to their masters butt.

My boy Remi did not like to be held at all. Did not want to be fondled or smothered at all. He would be laying down, I would go lay next to him and he would move. This was as a tiny pup. Very "independent", maybe that's not the best way to describe him. They say not to let the dog go up and down steep stairs as a puppy. Well, at 3 months, he refused to be picked up and carried downstairs. He started to get really annoyed...so we stopped. Even now, he comes over, gets some attention and leaves.

To the OP, if your dog really won't let you touch him, you need to build trust and engagement. Do force it, some dogs just aren't cuddly. You should be able to pet the dog, brush him, etc. If you are unable to do those basic things, you will need to follow the good advice that you are getting.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I agree. Clarity would help. I have a female here that adores me. She loves when I pet her but don't try to hug her as she will buck like a wild bronco. She is not a "huggy" kind of gal. I wonder if that is more what the OP is talking about.
Jax08 and LuvShepherds like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #19 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I've had what I would say are wildly different experiences with the 3 German Shepherds I've owned, but others may not view them as all that different. I think its mainly how the op chose to describe what they're asking about, so like Jax and Mawl mentioned, some context is important. Not to sidetrack this, but I thought you had mastiffs? Or did I mistake something you posted?

Doc

post #20 of 375 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post

..... Very "independent",...., he refused to be picked up and carried downstairs. He started to get really annoyed...so we stopped. Even now, he comes over, gets some attention and leaves.
SO much depends on the breeding and genetics. Exactly my young girl. She had other things to do. Did not want to be restrained. As she's matured, I can flip her on her back and clip her nails while she lays there like a noodle until I tell her I'm done. At 12-17 weeks? She was busy chasing the cat and imaginary butterflies and unicorns and she has a high amount of suspicion due to her genetics. She had to mature and learn to trust. BUT she never avoided us touching her. She was just busy and would settle on the ottoman at night while we watched TV. Now at 10 months she comes out for attention but then will go lay in the other room or kitchen instead of with us. My male is usually on the floor in front of the ottaman. I wonder if working lines are more prone to this behavior than other lines and breeding? Just more independent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page