My GS pup doesn’t want to be touched - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 357Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

If you recall this thread was created because I recognized he needed to see the vet yet he had not accepted me to the point of letting me touch him. In the end I came to believe that forcing the collar on would not be as bad as the possible effects of delaying the vet visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowacky View Post
If you recall this thread was created because I recognized he needed to see the vet yet he had not accepted me to the point of letting me touch him. In the end I came to believe that forcing the collar on would not be as bad as the possible effects of delaying the vet visit.
You are correct. But you only need one collar (the flat one) and you only leave the leash on when you are with him. You just went a little overboard on the collars and leashes.

Now that it's on him, work on tethering him to you and see how that goes. Work with him while he is in drive and reward any touches with food. Touch him, give food. Play tug, touch him with one hand while tugging with the other, and tug some more.
Aly and Sabis mom like this.

post #103 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:53 AM
Crowned Member

Keep the faith and don’t let your pups history get in the way of your success. We have trained a feral kitten that was 6 months old. Actually my daughter did most of it. It was during the most brutal winter and a fox was around getting some of these cats. We were waiting for months to get this kitten as we found her home for her sister months prior. This older kitten was really feral. The kitten was handled daily (with gloves at first)a little at a time slowly increasing. The kitten wanted nothing to do with us. I had my doubts as this kitten was older and really feral and but boy what a turn around. It took two - three months to get this kitten to become comfortable and trusting of people. Really turned into a nice cat and was able to a find a home with a friend who had a little boy. Such a great cat and really good with the little boy always get updates.

Even though you have had shepherds in the past, it’s a good idea to get a reputable trainer familiar to come to your home who has experience with gsds if possible. It would be helpful. Again important to work with your pup daily. The trust will build when you show him
their is nothing to be worried about when getting out of his comfort zone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

We made it through the night with both collars and leashes in place. As I suspected the flat collar was too loose and he pulled it off. Had I not had the choke chain on he would have been free and no progress would have been made. Now I’ve had a chance to tighten the flat collar. He continues to fight the collars but has shown no inclination to bite as yet. He has refused food and water since the collars have been on but I know he will drink when he relaxes some. He knows he is caught now so he is not running from me. I’m able to check the collars and pet him. I’ll just keep my contact with him brief and allow him to calm afterwards.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #105 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Crowned Member

Dog have been choked with getting choke chains caught and panicking and choked to death. Collars and leashes should be in when supervised only. If your must keep a flat collar on only a break away collar would be the safest. Especially a pup who is way past his comfort zone. It may be a good idea having help with bringing the pup to the vet. There are vets that come to the house. Again I advise an experienced trainer guide you through so you can help your pup in the best way.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-accident/amp/

https://www.animalbehaviorcollege.co...ion-by-collar/
Jax08 and car2ner like this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 07-08-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #106 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Dog have been choked with getting choke chains caught and panicking and choked to death. Collars and leashes should be in when supervised only. If your must keep a flat collar on only a break away collar would be the safest. Especially a pup who is way past his comfort zone. It may be a good idea having help with bringing the pup to the vet. There are vets that come to the house. Again I advise an experienced trainer guide you through so you can help your pup in the best way.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-accident/amp/

https://www.animalbehaviorcollege.co...ion-by-collar/
OP has been given advice over and over again, and goes and does the opposite of what was advised. OP was told not to keep the collars and leashes on overnight by many members, and that 2 collars and leashes are overkill.

OP says that he/she has experience with GSD’s and animals, but everything he/she posts shows someone with little knowledge of the breed, or animals all together.

Using the house to pee and poop at will because the OP was to afraid to collar and leash the pup to take him outside to go. Says the pup doesn’t seem to have worms. Is going to take the puppy on a walk this morning, when the pup is not vaccinated. The pup had one vaccine to date, and has missed the next two vaccines. Says that he wants to wait another month before trying a collar/leash to build trust first, and wait that month for a vet visit.

It just doesn’t add up to someone familiar with the breed, or dogs in general. I’m beginning to wonder if OP is just making the whole thing up 🤷‍♀️
post #107 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Jchrest, what an absolute load of garbage you have posted! The dog is doing just fine although he is not happy being controlled. The collars are on him and I can get him to relax and move with the leash. He also allows me to touch him. This is a lot of progress since he also got the collar about 12 hours ago. I approach him calmly and take the leash. He quickly quits fighting the leash and will take a few steps with me. When he does that I praise him and end that session.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.
post #108 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowacky View Post
Jchrest, what an absolute load of garbage you have posted! The dog is doing just fine although he is not happy being controlled. The collars are on him and I can get him to relax and move with the leash. He also allows me to touch him. This is a lot of progress since he also got the collar about 12 hours ago. I approach him calmly and take the leash. He quickly quits fighting the leash and will take a few steps with me. When he does that I praise him and end that session.
You can think what you want, my concern is for a puppy that isn’t being handled properly. You’ve been given so much advice by members here, and you go off in a completely different direction.

Someone familiar with raising any pup would know that peeing and pooping inside is a huge no no. And YOU allowed it because you were too afraid to put a collar and leash on him. You haven’t potty trained him, and he’s 18weeks and 50lbs! You said he doesn’t like you holding the leash because he doesn’t like being controlled. No dog likes being controlled. But that’s what responsible dog owners do. They control the dogs behaviors through proper training and reinforce that training.

I really don’t care either way of what your personal feelings are towards me, I care about the heath and well being of a pup who has been allowed to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. Because he is not going to be a puppy forever. And you’ve already complained about him being hard to handle because he is 50lbs, and doesn’t like you in control of him. I’m seeing a 100lb full grown adult being a MUCH bigger problem if you’re letting him control you as a pup.

I have 20-25yrs of fostering and rehabilitating dogs of all breeds. I’ve taken in dogs that no one could control because the original owner was a lot like you, and afraid to make the right choices for their dog. Two of those dogs I kept, and still have them.

My now 9ish year old shepherd was 2-4 when I got her. She was used as a breeding bitch, and was chained to a chain link fence. The only human interaction she had was when she was fed, and when a male GSD was brought to her for mating.

She tried attacking me multiple times a day while being tethered to me. She had never been around a person long enough to create a bond, and saw humans as the enemy. It took months until she would trust me, but I never gave up, even after having my arm torn to shreds by her in the first few weeks. But you know what? She was collared and tethered to me as soon as she came in the door. She was vetted the day after. You do what you have to do to ensure your pup or dog is properly cared for, and that includes potty training, vet care, and at minimum, basic training commands.
post #109 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

J, I’m aware this is about the pup and not between us. But let’s straighten out the facts. I did allow the pup to be loose in my house for a month knowing that was a bad habit I was teaching him but I had hoped to get his trust before putting on a collar and leash. Through this forum I decided that the collar must go on whether he was ready or not. I did worm him and the vet will likely start all over on his shots. At this moment he is doing pretty well on the leash. He fights it initially but quickly gives to it. When he does give to it I praise him and end that session. I now have my yard fenced. I regret there was not a fence when he first got home. But right now he gets it that I’m in command, I have never been afraid of him ... just hoped to gentle him some. That didn’t work in total but the dog has learned I mean him no harm and although he doesn’t like the leash I believe he respects me. I think there has been no harm done. Now that he has a leash on I can work with him.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #110 of 327 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

I would suggest that you make it more than just praise. Will he take food from your hand or is he still to anxious to do that? I would have a party with him. Very excited. YES YES YES. Feed feed feed. The more you do that, the quicker the adjustment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page