Dog fight while my puppy was on leash. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I’m furious tonight! Mostly just upset though. I was walking my 10 month old on leash with my parents dog and my sisters. Our dogs were BOTH on leash. Suddenly a dog runs from a garage and attacks my dog. I saw it coming and starting moving away. But not fast enough. Unfortunately my ten month old did get some puncture wounds in her cheek. She just tried to run though and didn’t respond aggressively. I’ll take her to the vet tomorrow AM. I messed up. I should have dropped her leash but I wanted to be able to push the dog away. And it was near a street so I didn’t want my dog to run into traffic!

But seriously where is safe to walk your dog? I’m so frustrated. This isn’t the first time she’s been attacked. Should I start carrying pepper spray? A large stick?! It was in the suburbs! What do you all do to do this? The dog tried to come after my dog again and I kept putting my body between my dog and it. The owner had zero control.

Should I also drop off the vet bill or just write them a letter so they keep their dog off leash and it doesn’t happen again?

Last edited by germanshepowner; 06-20-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

1. Depending on the depth of her puncture wounds - if surtures or drains are necessary, waiting til the morning to see the vet may not be ideal seeing as tho the edges of the wounds will start to heal right away, resulting in the need to create a larger wound in or do mend live tissue.

2. Personally, I would not have dropped the leash. Your girl showed you that her response was to flee, which, near a busy road... could have ended up fatal for one or both dogs.

3. There is no rule book - you do the best you can in the moment with the resources available. Carry what makes you feel comfortable and more secure, but know that it may not always work given the specifics of the encounter. I have had to break up as well as prevent dog fights. Pepper spray can get tricky.... I’d probably recommend an air horn over pepper spray. Best weapon I’ve used to date was to assume negative intent the moment I saw the other dog charge, positioned myself while holding my dog slightly behind me and issuing a flat footed full force blow to the dogs head.

4. I would not simply drop off the vet bill. I would report them to animal control and take their lead.... you will need to verify vaccinations, etc. I would still make contact tho... gauge how reasonable they are, see if the offer to pay the bill.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 06-20-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
1. Depending on the depth of her puncture wounds - if surtures or drains are necessary, waiting til the morning to see the vet may not be ideal seeing as tho the edges of the wounds will start to heal right away, resulting in the need to create a larger wound in or do mend live tissue.

2. Personally, I would not have dropped the leash. Your girl showed you that her response was to flee, which, near a busy road... could have ended up fatal for one or both dogs.

3. There is no rule book - you do the best you can in the moment with the resources available. Carry what makes you feel comfortable and more secure, but know that it may not always work given the specifics of the encounter. I have had to break up as well as prevent dog fights. Pepper spray can get tricky.... I’d probably recommend an air horn over pepper spray. Best weapon I’ve used to date was to assume negative intent the moment I saw the other dog charge, positioned myself while holding my dog slightly behind me and issuing a flat footed full force blow to the dogs head.

4. I would not simply drop off the vet bill. I would report them to animal control and take their lead.... you will need to verify vaccinations, etc. I would still make contact tho... gauge how reasonable they are, see if the offer to pay the bill.
Yeah, I felt that too.. I knew she would flee since she’s young and I’m supposed to be her protecter. 😞 That’s why I held on but there weren’t cars so I have some regrets.

My family knows the owner and they say the dog is usually nice so I’m somewhat hesitant to report it. But I also do NOT want someone else’s dog to just be walking by and get attacked. My girl is 70 pounds but it would have done more serious damage to a small dog especially. The puncture wounds are small thankfully for my girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

You should be able to report this but ask to just have it on file and here their suggestion as their could be more complaints recorded.. I did report and file an incident with a neighbor up the street. It's best to have it on record in case another incident occurs plus you're establishing reasonable communication with the ac.

You can approach your neighbor from a standpoint that you're only requesting responsibility to damages that their dog did as you would do the same if the roles were reversed. Or something like that. You can also let them know that you did report it but just to have it on file as a responsible owner. It may soften the blow and make them aware that their usually friendly dog can't be trusted to always be friendly.

I've found that reporting is imperative for the record. diplomacy is often useful. And protecting your dog from a legal standpoint important. Neighbors are neighborly when it suits them.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 06-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Master Member

Halt is a good pepper spray that sprays a 12' stream so you are very likely to stop a dog before he gets near you. The postal service uses it. It won't cause permanent harm to the dog and you don't have to drop the leash which could endanger your dog. Plus, it would help eliminate any anxiety you have because this has happened to you multiple times.
Mudypoz and CactusWren like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

When Shadow was a tiny baby a Golden retriever jumped over my fence to attack her, fortunately old Sabs was close enough to intervene. When she was about 4 months the Rott in the junk yard down the street got loose and attacked her. I was able to get her away from it. When she was about 6 months old the junkie next door let his BC loose and it attacked both of us, climbing over me and into my car to do so. At just over a year old the BC up the street got loose one night and attacked Shadow on our walk while I had her muzzled.
Both of us were terrified to go for a walk and it is a horrible feeling to be tense and anxious when you are trying to enjoy your dog.
Because I failed her Shadow remains to this day wary and aggressive toward other dogs, so I guess my caution is be very careful how YOU respond. Carry whatever you need to carry to give YOU confidence. I agree that getting your dog behind you when a dog charges is important, sadly it isn't always possible. I have found that my feet work well and I have no qualms about stomping a threat. The bad part of pepper spray is that it's a spray, and wind direction may make it more of a problem for you then the attacker. Air horns work well as do big sticks.
I hope your girl is ok and I wish you the best. Do make sure she is taken out with other dogs that are normal to prevent any social anxiety and do hand them the bill.
Is it safe to walk your dog? My experience would say no, not around other people.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Please report this to animal control. I took FIVE different reports by other people before anything was actually done about a dog who got loose and ran up to me and bit me unprovoked.
Stevenzachsmom, RoseW and Mudypoz like this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
The bad part of pepper spray is that it's a spray, and wind direction may make it more of a problem for you then the attacker.
Halt produces a stream rather than a spray. It is like a hornet repellant vs. mosquito repellant, and because it reaches up to 12' away, the chances of the handler or his/her dog getting capsaicin in their eyes is unlikely.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
When Shadow was a tiny baby a Golden retriever jumped over my fence to attack her, fortunately old Sabs was close enough to intervene. When she was about 4 months the Rott in the junk yard down the street got loose and attacked her. I was able to get her away from it. When she was about 6 months old the junkie next door let his BC loose and it attacked both of us, climbing over me and into my car to do so. At just over a year old the BC up the street got loose one night and attacked Shadow on our walk while I had her muzzled.
Both of us were terrified to go for a walk and it is a horrible feeling to be tense and anxious when you are trying to enjoy your dog.
Because I failed her Shadow remains to this day wary and aggressive toward other dogs, so I guess my caution is be very careful how YOU respond. Carry whatever you need to carry to give YOU confidence. I agree that getting your dog behind you when a dog charges is important, sadly it isn't always possible. I have found that my feet work well and I have no qualms about stomping a threat. The bad part of pepper spray is that it's a spray, and wind direction may make it more of a problem for you then the attacker. Air horns work well as do big sticks.
I hope your girl is ok and I wish you the best. Do make sure she is taken out with other dogs that are normal to prevent any social anxiety and do hand them the bill.
Is it safe to walk your dog? My experience would say no, not around other people.
This is exactly how I feel. It sucks to be anxious walking your dog with what should be a peaceful time. This has now happened to me several times and it really sucks. I tend to react very calmly in tense situations so my dog has thankfully realized attacks aren’t a big deal and brushed them off. Today she’s back to normal. But I feel like the worst dog owner for not kicking the dog or yelling at the owner. It just happened so quickly.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Please report this to animal control. I took FIVE different reports by other people before anything was actually done about a dog who got loose and ran up to me and bit me unprovoked.
Ok that’s where I’m leaning. My dog will be ok I’m sure but I was more worried about some smaller dog just walking by. It’s not as if this was a reprimand for my dog either! It was a rush attack out of nowhere. And she has puncture wounds. It’s not like it was a correction or warning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page