A mute, doesn’t bark. Friendly giant! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

A mute, doesn’t bark. Friendly giant!

Basically the title says it all lol. Fenrir is 8 months and doesn’t bark much. To add, he’s never really barked since we got him at 8 weeks. Just wondering when do they usually start to bark? I tried looking it up but of course I’ll find more options to get your dog to stop barking. But in my case, I can’t even get my dog to bark! Lol.
We had guests and strangers come to our door and he just goes up to them and stares through the clear glass. I ask him “Who’s that, boy?” to try and see if he’ll bark. He doesn’t. He basically greets people like my husky with open arms lol. Also, we were out for a walk one day with my kids and this dog ran up to us out of nowhere, I got scared. The random dog was growling at Fenrir’s face and he didn’t do anything. Not saying I wanted a fight to break out. I was just scared because that dog could’ve bit me or my kids. Luckily the owner came quickly to get her dog. Another time, he was out in the backyard with our husky too and a stranger looked over our fence (works for housing) and he didn’t bark at him at all. He gets tons of socialization and he knows the command speak. The only time he barks is when he’s playing with our husky and teasing her with a toy or when I ask him to speak. But he doesn’t bark much either. Only time he barked excessively was when he saw a fire hydrant and a trash bag full of leaves haha. He’s our first GSD and we wanted a family protection dog. So far he’s not doing a great job but we love his sweet side regardless. Just wondering if he’s ever going to feel territorial or show some sort of guarding trait ??? All the other GSDs we know are very protective and what we expect in a GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

The ones who don't bark are the most confident and scariest for the people who don't read dogs well. I wouldn't try to get him to bark at this time. He wil mature. The loudest barkers are the ones who are not confident and they rely on their bog mouth.
ausdland and Custom Billet like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 PM

My GSD was mute until 9 months lol. And suddenly one day, exactly 3 loud ferocious barks if someone steps on the property or knocks on the door. It’ll happen!
Custom Billet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Now that you say that, it got me thinking. Makes sense! 🙂
Just noticed that whenever dogs go up to him, they bark at him lol. So he probably intimidates other dogs. Thanks for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
The ones who don't bark are the most confident and scariest for the people who don't read dogs well. I wouldn't try to get him to bark at this time. He wil mature. The loudest barkers are the ones who are not confident and they rely on their bog mouth.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

That sounds reassuring! We’re moving next month so maybe our new house will trigger something. I guess I shouldn’t worry much about the whole no barking thing since others have a hard time or have to train their dog to stop barking. We’re just excited to move and get him to do personal protection with a trainer 🙂
Overall we do love his friendly, goofy side. He’s not aggressive at all so major plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
My GSD was mute until 9 months lol. And suddenly one day, exactly 3 loud ferocious barks if someone steps on the property or knocks on the door. It’ll happen!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 AM
Crowned Member

An 8 month old dog is comparable to a 5yr old child... I’m always surprised at the high expectations many new owners have of these dogs. Honestly, I’d be concerned if my 8 month old was putting on a show at this age. Even at 2, the teenage years, few dogs have the confidence, maturity and clarity necessary to truly or reliably be protective. Let the puppy be a puppy and figure things out in his own time. Even then, all dogs aren’t big barkers. I prefer it.
wolfy dog, ausdland and CometDog like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I wasn’t concerned at first during the first couple of months but when I started having lots of guests and random people at our door or the side of our fence, that’s when it occurred to me that my pup wouldn’t bark or show signs of being territorial/protective. Our neighbor has a lab and golden retriever. One of them is the same age as him, but female, and she barks at me when I walk along side of the shared fence lol. I’m just saying that every other dog we know barks when there’s someone at the door or near their backyard. So since this is our first GSD and had expectations, i’m not trying to ruin or rush the puppy stage, just simply asking when do they usually start acting protective or being on alert. Ofc after reading all the other comments above, I’m not that concerned anymore since it has answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
An 8 month old dog is comparable to a 5yr old child... I’m always surprised at the high expectations many new owners have of these dogs. Honestly, I’d be concerned if my 8 month old was putting on a show at this age. Even at 2, the teenage years, few dogs have the confidence, maturity and clarity necessary to truly or reliably be protective. Let the puppy be a puppy and figure things out in his own time. Even then, all dogs aren’t big barkers. I prefer it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrirthegsd View Post
That sounds reassuring! We’re moving next month so maybe our new house will trigger something. I guess I shouldn’t worry much about the whole no barking thing since others have a hard time or have to train their dog to stop barking. We’re just excited to move and get him to do personal protection with a trainer 🙂
Overall we do love his friendly, goofy side. He’s not aggressive at all so major plus!

Quote:
Personally to me, it’s a great sign! It means he’s confident and feels safe that you’ll protect him right now. I’d be more concerned if he felt the need to bark incessantly. That would mean issues to me and weak nerves.

I think also our dogs might follow each other on Instagram?! Are you Fenrirandnova??
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
My GSD was mute until 9 months lol. And suddenly one day, exactly 3 loud ferocious barks if someone steps on the property or knocks on the door. Itíll happen!
That is so funny, Shasta does the exact same thing. 3 barks and that is it!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Oh color me jealous! My girls has never gotten over her barking. (Rescued at age 4). She barks when the garbage truck comes, she barks when the neighbors are out, or the lawn service guy is cutting the neighbors grass, she barks when anyone but those that live here come over. She barks if it’s windy and the steel “screen door’ bangs against the other steel screen. She barks if anyone knocks or rings the doorbell. I’m pretty sure the barking only stops when she sleeps. Sigh. Not true, but sometimes that’s how it feels.

Compare her to my Husky/GSD who NEVER barks, and it makes her barking seem even worse. I’ve heard my husky bark once, and it scared the crap out of me, because I thought a stray dog had gotten into our backyard. And his bark is MEAN. I’d happily take the no barking over her incessant barking any day. Yes, she incredibly protective, but so is our Husky that doesn’t bark.

There was a video on Facebook I watched not too long ago. They did a test on a number of dogs. They would have the owner on the couch with the dogs nearby, and an “intruder” would come in the front door and start pretending to attack the owner. All the big dogs ran off scared of the intruder. Like didn’t even hesitate, just left their owner to die. Lol. The only time the intruder was not successful was the case of two small dogs, I think a chi and maybe a corgi? I don’t remember the breeds exactly, just that they were small, and worked together to get the intruder out of the house. It was amazing to watch. I’ve been tempted to have our roomie put on a bite suit and see if either of mine actually protect or run, but those suits are freaking expensive, and I haven’t had any takers on being the intruder yet! Lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page