My dog attacked my lil dog and killed a chicken - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation My dog attacked my lil dog and killed a chicken

I have question, I have A German Shepherd puppy she’s at least 14 months now to me that’s not a puppy but my boyfriend calls are still a puppy. She was in heat and I have a little Chihuahua that just got out of heat they really don’t get along but when they’re in heat they’re they are best of friends Chihuahua cries for the big pup all time. We had the dogs out back and we have chickens on our land one of the chickens flew into the fence where the dogs were I believe the big dog(shep pup) killed this chicken and then went after my little Chihuahua twice putting my Chihuahua in the hospital with broken ribs and punctured her lung. She had a big gash on the side from where the dogs mouth was on her body for the second time the dog attacked her I was there for second time and Shook really hard. Why do you believe this happened? my boyfriend seems to think it’s the Chihuahua fault as usual I believe it was because fenced in area is the pup backyard, the chicken flew in she killed it got a taste of blood in her mouth and then felt that the Chihuahua was the enemy and attack her not once but twice if you have anything you can tell me it please let me know because I’m really thinking about getting rid of her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMB PUP.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	521439   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMB COCO.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	521441  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 AM

This is a very serious situation I would not allow your GSD to have access to your small dog in any circumstance you really need to think carefully about what you need to do to keep your small dog safe.
crate and rotate or rehome one of the dogs as next time your little dog might not survive an attack.
You say they don't get along so why chance things at all.
crittersitter and Kyrielle like this.

Clay (GSD) 07/07/2012.[CGC]
Honey (mix breed) 26/01/2003
Mai (meow) 30/03/2006

I own two dogs and am owned by one cat

and I love them more than word's can say
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

Because female to female aggression is common and you stated they don't get along but you still allowed them to be loose together.

Then, add to that a prey animal like a chicken that is making funny noises and flying around so now the GSD is in a whole different state of mind.

This is not either dog's fault. This is a human management error 100%.

If you can't manage this and keep both dogs safe then, yes, you should return your GSD to the breeder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM

wow, this dog needs some serious training, exercise and a reason to be..aka work. If you can't do that, for the sake of your little dog, yes, return your GSD. No one wants to see your little one get hurt again.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoscott View Post
<snip>...they really don’t get along...<snip>...Why do you believe this happened?...<snip>
That is why your dog was attacked. It was neither dog's fault. That's on both of you.

As for the chicken, I'm not surprised. Chickens run around, flap, make fun noises and are pretty tasty. It could be that your Chihuahua came to investigate and the GSD became possessive. But that is pure speculation as neither of you saw the first instance or the killing of the chicken. Does the GSD have a history of resource guarding like that? Do they fight over toys, food, or even you/your boyfriend?

Either way, those dogs need to be kept separated at all times. They don't like each other, never seem to get along except twice a year. The attack is very serious as it sounds like your GSD wanted to kill your Chihuahua given the damage inflicted. Dogs that get in a disagreement tend to follow certain rules: do not intentionally break the skin; do not exercise more force than is necessary to move the other dog; immediately obey submissive/pain signals from either participant; once the roles are decided, do not continue the argument. It doesn't matter how large or small the dogs are, they will obey those rules and restrain themselves from excessive force and refrain from purposefully inflicting damage.

Those rules were not followed in this case, and your GSD basically broke every single one. Therefore, this went beyond a disagreement.
Jax08, crittersitter and Mudypoz like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM

Little dogs don't always mix with big dogs. Especially 2 unspayed females. I can understand why the 14 mo old GSD isn't spayed yet but why isn't the little dog spayed? And why do you let them be together when you know they don't get along? For the safety of your little dog, please keep them separate at all times. And get your young GSD some training.
Kyrielle likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM

When I was a teenager my mother's chihuahua bitch got into my GSD bitches' compound and was attacked by one of my GSD bitches.

She died from her injuries.

There had never been a problem before but we can only speculate on what may have triggered the attack.

The point is that my mother's chihuahua and my GSDs' got on with each other but in a split-second, that changed.

Either return your pup to the breeder/rehome, which I'm certain you probably won't want to do or build your GSD an outside kennel and run and crate and rotate when you bring her inside.

It is important that your GSD gets plenty of exercise, both physical and mental and receives obedience training.

You have to realise that dogs and bitches when they fight, they bite with the same pressure whether the other dog is big or small.

I have a GSD bitch and a Lhasa Apso x dog. My GSD is in a secure kennel and run during the day and the Lhasa is in the house. When I bring my shepherd inside in the evening she goes up into her crate upstairs. At 7 pm the Lhasa goes upstairs and my shep comes downstairs.

Do not think for one second that your two will not fight again.

I wish you the best in your decision.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
wolfy dog, Mudypoz and Kyrielle like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Elite Member

Large dogs sometimes see small dogs as prey. The chicken caused your GSD's prey killing instinct to kick in, and when it was frustrated by not being able to get to the chicken, it focused on the chihuahua instead. That's how I'd interpret the events.

Never, ever let these 2 dogs be together again if you want the chihuahua to stay alive.

We sometimes forget dogs are carnivores, with predatory instincts, and not 'kids with fur'!
wolfy dog likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

I agree that the two dogs will likely have to be kept seperate. If that is not manageable, then hard as it is, re-homing one of the dogs may be the best option. You could hire an experienced trainer to evaluate the situation if you were so inclined. Is it possible to make the fence higher so that your chickens can't fly into the dog fence or clip their wings?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Crowned Member

The dogs need to be separated. It seemed like the dog just took redirected out on the chihuahua and escalated. Dogs with a clear head can control the severity of his bite this was no warning bite. It is a management issue. I have a chihuahua and my two gsds get along but like siblings there can be some quarrels it’s why supervision rules boundaries and need to part of life. I don’t leave them alone when I am not home and Topper is crated to be safe. You will always need to crate and rotate. This separation may possibly even cause more of an issue if someone makes a mistake one day and lets them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page