Barky McBarkface - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MineAreWorkingline

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Barky McBarkface

This is in regards to a specific behavior. Note that because our dogs don't get along, we keep them separated. When I'm home, my Jupiter is always in the room with me with the door closed.

When my wife wakes up, she takes the other dog out and feeds her. To alert me, she calls across the house.

Jupiter has developed a habit of barking loudly at this point, a behavior which bothers my wife quite a bit. He doesn't bark at her when we're in the room together, nor does he show any aggression or fear toward her (that I can determine).

Any ideas on how to stop the response barking? Presumably, he knows her, since she feeds him when I'm gone and we sometimes watch TV together. Jupiter is nearly seven months old now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

Your other dog and a six month old puppy must be separated for not getting along? IMO, that doesn't seem right. Your puppy should still have his puppy pass at that age. It seems to me that your puppy is using your wife's call as a cue to signify the other dog's presence and is reacting in fear.
tc68 likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense. Unfortunately, Jupiter never got a puppy pass and she tried to kill him when he was small. Now, he's bigger and badder than the other one and has attacked her twice. He does ignore her when there is a doggy gate between them, though, and he gets along well with almost all dogs at the dog park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
When my wife wakes up, she takes the other dog out and feeds her. To alert me, she calls across the house.

Jupiter has developed a habit of barking loudly at this point
hmmm...just guessing...but my suspicion is that your dog knows somehow that the other dog is being fed (they have incredible hearing**) and that is exciting/frustrating for him?

**Walking my dog...he pauses and stares intently at the house we are passing. I'm like, what?? A few seconds later, door opens and somebody comes out. He HEARD them walking inside their house! That is why I am sure that your dog knows the other dog is being fed...maybe he wants food too?

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page