German Shepherds Forum banner

Female 4 Month GSD - Always showing Belly

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JonRob 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone else had a GSD that did this. My female puppy always is on her back, showing her belly to get rubs. No matter what is happening if you walk up to her she will flop on her back and want her belly rubbed. She sleeps this way as well. Its cute... but is this normal? Her legs are always open as well which makes me worry about her hips.

Just wanted others opinions... thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Much better than when my oldest went through the stage of peeing when anyone walked up to her.:wink2: Enjoy this cute little puppy age, it flies by quickly.

#5 ·
My dog Scarlet will be 3 in August, and still flips over every chance she gets to have her belly rubbed. I put it on cue. Now I say “slap your tummy” and there she goes, lol.

#10 ·
That is so funny, truly speaks to the breed. Even with all the training, they are stubborn and will do there best to get what they want.

#11 ·
My 9 year old male will always sleep on his back given the chance, with his hind feet propped against the wall, back of couch, or whatever's handy, so he can stay in that position indefinitely. When awake, he positions himself strategically on the stair landing, in the hallway blocking as many doorways as possible for 1 dog, etc. and will immediately roll on his back as soon as someone in the family approaches. We consider the 15 second belly rub to be the toll he demands to let us pass.

Reactions: LRP
#12 ·
That is a very vulnerable position, so she clearly feels very relaxed and safe. If she had bad hips, it would likely hurt to splay out her legs like that. You are very, very lucky to have such a sweet, confident pup. Not to mention drop dead gorgeous. Where did you get her from?

#13 ·
Thank you very much! We were lucky to find a family near us in the Inland Empire (California) that had a liter. They were all long hair and beautiful, healthy large puppies. We got her at 3 months so she had a long time to bond with her parents and her littermates. We already had a 4 month old male who we wanted to have a partner (not for mating, just for company). Both her parents were long hair and beautiful as well, calm when we met them to get her, very good temperaments. That is not always the case with strangers coming into the house to take there puppies away. We have had her for almost 2 months now and she has settled in so perfectly. Both puppies are just the sweetest dogs, we have lucked out! Below are some more pics from when we 1st brought her home to today.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.