czech 8 month old czech puppy cant settle in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 31Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

czech 8 month old czech puppy cant settle in the house

I have an 8 month only 100% czech puppy who just can't seem to settle in the house. I work from home and have clients that meet at my house and have cancelled all my appointments due to this. I take her to the park twice a day and am working with a good trainer. He says the czech dogs are not good at settling til they are about 9 years old, lol. I have only had her a couple weeks and alot more work than I had anticipated. Sometimes I wonder if I should have not gotten a czech line but I really would like to make this work. Any ideas, I need to be able to crate her and not have her going crazy in the crate -- barking , whining, etc. . Its not just the crate, she runs around the house like a maniac, lol -- grabs things off counters, out of my hands. etc. She is a sweet dog but I just need her to have an off switch. Is this possible with a 100 percent czech shepherd?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hannah4.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	521013  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

Questions:
How do you respond when she acts like that? Do you crate her during the day? What mind exercise do you give her? Do you take her places? Where is she when you work?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I honestly have not been able to work much since I have had her. I try and ignore her when I crate her but the barking gets too be too much so I let her out after a certain point -- could be a mistake but I do not want neighbors complaining either. Would an ecollar work in this situation - like on vibrate and say "quiet" everytime she barks. The main mental stimulation I do is basic obedience-- even when she sits, she cant sit still - has to be licking my hand or something, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

No ecollar. Itís not needed and will not give you the result you want. It will build frustration. Try this exercise on teaching a puppy to be calm and quiet. His dogs get a lot of exercise before he works with them. A tired dog is a sleepy dog. You also need to train her to be quiet in the kennel. I also have Czech dog and he is very quiet. I have an oversized wire crate in the main part of my house for daytime. When he was a puppy, he spent some time in the crate with toys and treats. I turned the crate into a dream playground. If you are anxious, your dog feeds on that.

Sabis mom and Mei like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

OP, if you cannot live with this pup without losing your job, maybe you have to realize you took more on your plate than you could chew. Have you considered giving her to a more appropriate home before bad habits have ingrained?
I have a feeling that if you have to give her what she needs, you don't have time for a job because she IS your job right now.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

My dog is half Czech and was very wound as a pup. I'm semi retired and tried to wear her out with exercise, she wore me out. Real world and sport obedience training is your best bet. Your pup needs much more than physical exercise; she needs mental exercise, engagement with you, clear firm boundaries and discipline. You have to be the leader to your pup. Cover the crate with a blanket to reduce visual stimulation. Ignore her or teach her to shut the **** up when she's in her crate. You have to be firm and consistent. I started using an e collar at 8 months and it wasn't fair as my dog didn't understand what I wanted of her and she was too immature. Training, patience, leadership, consistency. My dog didn't start to mature until she was 2.5-3 yo if that tells you anything. I helped rehome a beautiful, spun pup that looked like yours over a year ago as the owner was in way over her head. I hope you don't have to do that but if you do it shouldn't be hard as she is beautiful.
Sweet Stella likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

You have only had this dog for a couple of weeks. Right now she wants to go home, where ever that may be. She does not know you, your home and has no bond with you or any reason to try to work with you. She was most likely bonded to somebody before she came to you and she is most likely missing her person. This breed is known for its loyalty.

Take some time to take her for some long hikes in the woods. Let her sniff, let her be a dog, build a bond with her. Do fun things that she enjoys. After she has had time to settle in and to bond with you a little, then you can start training her. It always concerns me when somebody refers to a working dog as "sweet". I am not saying that some of them aren't but I am saying I have to wonder what are the expectations.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

^ This.

Also it sounds like you have a high drive working dog that will benefit from a job or sport. She may need more than just an active home, mine did.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Did you adopt your dog as an older puppy? If so, she might have learned bad habits at a previous home. MAWL’s post reminds me about our Sniff Walks. We don’t try to go anywhere, we just start outside someplace different or new and we sniff. He walks around and smells things. I watch him smelling. He doesn’t care if he gets a purposeful walk. His goal is to smell as much as he possibly can. Then I bridged his natural talent into tracking and separately, to scentwork.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Master Member

I think almost any dog can be taught good house manners and how to settling inside. It sounds like this dog need clear boundaries and direction. Some dogs are good at setting their own boundaries and self adjusting to their owners routines and life style. Others need an owner to step up and take the reins right from the start or else they will just do whatever they want.

Collared Scholar is opening up a new course for pet owners that will cover life skills and manners. Might be worth checking out: https://collared-scholar.mykajabi.com/a/14728/ZGTu8KNZ

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in