Personality change - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By valleydog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Personality change

(haven't posted in at least 12 years!) Rio is almost two, long hair GSD, still intact. Until quite recently he never met a dog he didn't like. I walk him 1 1/2 hours a day to local college campus, on prong collar. He's great with crowds. When meeting dogs, he's friendly, tail wagging, then suddenly gets growly and obnoxious. Or he'll get like this after we've walked on. He used to like little dogs especially.

He takes agility and herding classes. This week I've been concentrating on obedience commands, which we let slide. My husband says he doesn't do this when he walks him.

Think it could be related to recent two week stay at a play all day in house "kennel"? He's stayed there before. I sure would like to reverse this new trend.

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

One thing I remembered since- about two months ago we walked up to a woman with two small terrier type dogs. Out of nowhere one of them bit Rio quite hard on his nose, bright red blood, still has a scar. He didn't fight back at the time. Maybe related?

Sally
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Any incidents during his stay with the kennel? It will be tough to know what's going on for sure over a forum with what's been said so far. He's maturing, been attacked, reacts differently depending on who's walking him and some reactions occur after the encounter. I would get with a trainer and have them evaluate him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Nigel. I wrote a well known trainer about it today. She's also a friend but no longer lives nearby. Will see what she says.

Sally
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

since this is a new negative behavior and he is in agility and herding classes, I would eliminate any chances of unknown dogs bothering him or allowing him to bother other dogs. i.e. Meet and greet. The reason for it, you need him to stay stable towards other dogs while in close proximity of other dogs in those classes, you don't need him to be friendly to every dog while out and about. He probably loves the classes and probably has changed his attitude while walking about around campus. That bite could have triggered it but the change may have come on its own due to maturity.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We met with a trainer who'd worked with him as a puppy, practiced some obedience things, especially doing touch where you back up and he comes to face you and sits for a touch and treat. It's worked REALLY well. He was easier to handle at agility, great at herding, and hasn't had any incidents on street. I did take a detour when I saw a barking white and fluffy approaching. The touch thing even worked with a squirrel chattering! Treating with pieces of cheese dogs. Happy to report progress.
Clare, Nigel and dogma13 like this.

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page