Crate or Bedroom?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Crate or Bedroom??

My GSD is 1 year old and has been crate trained since we've had him and does great with it. The crate is in its own bedroom so I got the idea to just let him have the whole bedroom since he isn't destructive and is house trained. But, he barks and whines and just doesn't sleep as good when he has the whole room. So does he not like all the extra room? We would just leave him out in the whole house but he wants to be in bed with us and his 85 lb stomping on your sleeping body isn't pleasant I know this from camping season. So should we give him more time (it's been about 2 weeks) or go back to the crate? The crate is plenty big, I have been in it with him, I just hate locking him up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Many dogs feel calmer and more comfortable in their den(crate).I would put the crate back in there and leave the door unlocked.
Sabis mom likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Why not put his crate in your bedroom? He gets to sleep with you but in his own space. Plus, you won't trip over him in the middle of the night if you get up to use the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Mei
Master Member

Mei will relax on the bed but when she wants to sleep it's in her crate. She prefers that over the bed. It's her woman cave! If you try and lay next to her on the bed, she hops down and goes into her cave lol.

Why not just move the crate into your room?
Here she is super young. I used to keep a sheet over it for more of a den feeling.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018

Last edited by Mei; 04-20-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Shadow is my fourth dog that will open her crate and put herself in it at bedtime. Some dogs really prefer to have their own den to sleep in.
Sabi would randomly take over Buds crate and refuse to let him back in.
I would just let him have his crate. No need to lock him in, just let him use it. Also keep in mind that some dogs really react to disruptions in routines.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM

He likes his crate, leave him in it. Even my 3 yo GSD prefers to sleep in her crate at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page