Anxious dog / how to help with anxiety relief? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 2 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Anxious dog / how to help with anxiety relief?

Hello Forum! New member here!
Adopting a female shepherd directly from her very loved owner. Personal reasons they must separate.
We are trying to transition the adoption. First day she was super anxious, almost melancholic, not aggressive which is great cos she is a wee bit intimidating to the eye... tried to keep her entertained.... no interest...Then the crying (howling) began; didn't want to play or go out. Sat by the door looking out waiting!!! Took her for a walk, half way through the walk noticed that she started feeling a wee bit happier looking back to see if I was behind her, then as soon as we got back she was pacing looking for her owner.
She is coming back tomorrow for a week long stay. I am excited but also anxious cause I was very sad to see how unhappy she was.
Any tips? Suggestions? Please, I would gladly welcome all recommendations.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

It takes about a month to fully transition from one home to another but every dog is different. Most of my fosters bonded to me the minute I started feeding them. Because she came to you then went home, it might confuse her next time. Just treat her, exercise her and love her and she will adapt. Dogs can be much more willing to switch owners than we think they are. You may not see her full behavior until she has been with you a while.
Sabis mom, car2ner and Ranyta like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:55 PM

indeed, I can only imagine how confusing it is for our dogs who don't understand why they were dropped off and not picked back up again. Over time, she'll realize she might as well have a good time with you. In the meantime keep things really low key at home. No visitors or outings at cafes and such. Those will come later.
LuvShepherds and Ranyta like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page