Irritation Behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Irritation Behavior

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no animal behaviorist so I'm wondering if I can pick the minds of you all who have read into/studied animal behavior.

Pecking Order: Emma > Ella > Guinevere

Backstory info: Emma has the most confidence however Ella will test Emma time to time. Guin is a pushover for the most part. From what I heard when I got Guin, she was picked on by the other dogs she was with.

The behavior situation: If Emma is laying down, and Guin decides she's going to walk past to come get love or get on the couch, Emma gets grumpy, immediately gets up and goes after Guin's hind legs. I know how to stop/prevent this behavior. I would just like other's perspective as to why it happens though. If Ella did the same thing it's unlikely Emma would go at her. I assume this to be because Ella will not put up with it while Guin will do nothing about it. Emma did not do this before we got Ella. I'd also like to note, while it's an aggressive behavior, she's never "rough" with her just pushy and noticeably irritated, but I know it's not playing.

I've also noticed Emma has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). If say, I'm going outside, and the other two dogs are allowed to go and she is not, she looses her doggy mind (whining, barking, trying to push her way to the other two dogs). I get that, but she's always worse when we do something and she's the last in line.

As I said, I know how to fix this issue, I'd just like to understand the behavior behind it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Well, what I can say is "of course!" to all the behaviors.

Basically, Emma's trying to keep the group in line and what the heck's going on that you have the audacity to take others out and leave her! The scene is order by rank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Well, what I can say is "of course!" to all the behaviors.

Basically, Emma's trying to keep the group in line and what the heck's going on that you have the audacity to take others out and leave her! The scene is order by rank.

Yeah, that's the idea I'm getting as well.

A lot of times I will take them out one at a time to work with them on particular things without the hassle/distraction of the others around. I usually train them all together but sometimes I need to focus on them individually.

I also work with them on going out the door one at a time so I put them in a stay and individually call their names and expect them to wait patiently until their name is called. Emma doesn't like to be last haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Master Member

Most dog owner's probably don't need a study to support their beliefs but here is a good explanation for your dog's behavior.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...t-jealous.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Most dog owner's probably don't need a study to support their beliefs but here is a good explanation for your dog's behavior.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...t-jealous.html

Good article link. Super interesting, thanks for sharing!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graychamp View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no animal behaviorist so I'm wondering if I can pick the minds of you all who have read into/studied animal behavior.

Pecking Order: Emma > Ella > Guinevere

I've also noticed Emma has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). If say, I'm going outside, and the other two dogs are allowed to go and she is not, she looses her doggy mind (whining, barking, trying to push her way to the other two dogs). I get that, but she's always worse when we do something and she's the last in line.
Treat them based on the pecking order. Emma always goes first. She gets more privileges, maybe gets to do things alone with you while the other two don't.

I wonder if Emma will lose some of the grumpiness if you do this.
Findlay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page