Correcting the breaking of a down/stay - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
How old is your dog? Crating him is not allowing him to learn or figure out anything. What kind of collar are you using? Have you worked a lot on just downing him outside and walking away a short distance and coming back and rewarding him with food? Reward for the initial down, walk away about ten feet, come back and reward with food if he holds the down and repeat that several times and be sure to have a release command and offer food and praise after the release. Reliable obedience takes a ton of repetition. Re: the door, set it up when you know some friends are coming over. Tell him place, (I would use down) and keep the leash in your hand and tell your friends to come in. If he starts to break the down, quickly pull down on the leash and tell him down. You can reward with food and praise. I like to include the command in the praise such as, "good down." Have your friends come in and sit down and when you think he has held the down well enough, give the release command. You can also teach him to look at you before the release command so he is focused on you.
Hi Chip. Rex is 15 months old.

I do this all the time, short and long distances outside. He does not break the down.

"Have you worked a lot on just downing him outside and walking away a short distance and coming back and rewarding him with food? Reward for the initial down, walk away about ten feet, come back and reward with food if he holds the down and repeat that several times and be sure to have a release command and offer food and praise after the release."

Collar is flat. In process of getting the prong.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Master Member

He is definitely not too young for a prong collar. I would get a good Herm Sprenger prong with smaller prongs like 2.5 or 3 mm. You might have to buy extra links to have the collar be large enough. The smaller links give a sharper correction.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
He is definitely not too young for a prong collar. I would get a good Herm Sprenger prong with smaller prongs like 2.5 or 3 mm. You might have to buy extra links to have the collar be large enough. The smaller links give a sharper correction.
Ok, I will see to get that one. I forgot to add, I have a slip lead with a limiter.

After I opened the crate today, he stayed in the down. Stood up once and I verbally corrected him and he down again. So the crate door was open before I released him and he was in a down while me and my friends were sitting and chatting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page