I need serious/sound advice for the experts here - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I need serious/sound advice for the experts here

Hi everyone,

As some of know, we adopted our dog almost 5 months ago from a reputable breeder. So now we have a 17 month old, neutered male GSD. He is a great dog overall. I am just finding that he is very high energy and with our busy schedule, it's hard to give him the hours of exercice he needs everyday. I say he "needs" because if he does not get enough exercice, he will chew on stuff or be destructive i.e chewing on the side of the deck.

I guess my question is pretty simple: Is there an age that I will see a difference in his activity needs? I know right now he is an adolescent in dog years.

I guess I just need some guidance as I feel like I'm spread very thin between full-time work, the kids and the dog... Will it get easier?

I'm trying to figure out how this can work without braking the bank for a dog walker everyday (I looked into it and it would cost as much as my daughter's daycare per month and we can't afford that).

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Maybe age 4 or 5. Make or invest in a "flirt stick" it quickly tires them out and they love it.
IllinoisNative likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM

You are just finding out that your 17 month old is high energy?
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad you aren't doing the dog walker thing. I don't think that would do anything for your dog's energy level.

A bit of structured activity (tug, two ball, general obedience tossed in) with focus and reward - maybe 10 minutes twice a day helps a lot.

And yes, no unsupervised free time in the yard (or house) unless you enjoy improvised "help" with things from their career testing on "fashion designer", "landscape architect" - and a bit of "architect" --- I'm not sure if mine were designers or critics but they would do some modification given the opportunity -- and that opportunity could be riding in the front seat (no airbags in that vehicle) as I drove.

It gets better after about 2 but I still (at 5 & 9) need to remember to pay attention to a spot where they can dig after I've worked in the garden. If that's not the last thing I've worked on, the other "last thing" will get some "unauthorized" help.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:32 PM

It does get better, but you may need to keep him crated when he's unsupervised for a long time. My doberman stayed crated when she was home alone for two full years, and crated through the night for another full year before she was 100% trustworthy to be left alone for long stretches.

A good, long walk first thing in the morning, followed by structured play and some obedience training (as already suggested) should help him stay relaxed in the crate while you're at work...and then more focused play and training in the evening after you get home. And then always crated when no one is there to supervise.
car2ner likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Master Member

My dog just turned two and I havenít noticed a die down of energy. Iím (patiently) waiting. lol
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

With dogs Iíve had from puppies, I noticed a drop at age 3. They finally matured and became calmer. The exercise needs donít change a lot but the behaviors settle in. He might not need as much exercise as you think. I started my younger one on scent training and the more he used his mind the less raw energy and goofy behaviors I saw. Now I mix physical exercise with mental exercise. If he gets two good periods of running or play, that is enough exercise, and I add in one or two mental stimulation periods each day too. So four separate activities. Or I tie in running with scentwork. I try to change it up often so we arenít doing exactly the same things each day. Or we go out somewhere and I set up a scent puzzle there. He has never been super high energy but he is a high drive dog.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM

i've noticed with my dog, about to turn 3 in few months, have started asking less for things.
not sure about energy levels, but i think he, AND i both, have come to an "mutual understanding" of each other.
that's with personal schedule, the dog's and mine lol, personality, things we like/dislike, etc etc

but at puppy stage, my dog was all about him, which is completely understandable.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Flirt pole for 15 minutes maybe? A spring pole maybe?

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Master Member

A flirt pole has saved my life. Heís never been ball crazy, but heíll die for the flirt pole.
clipke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page