I need serious/sound advice for the experts here - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisNative View Post
A flirt pole has saved my life. He’s never been ball crazy, but he’ll die for the flirt pole.
My shepherd has no interest in balls other than basketballs, but the flirt pole, nothing gets his attention like the flirt pole does.
IllinoisNative likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM

My big-boy is 5 and I already miss the goofy pup he was. I also recommend a nice large crate for while you are away. A nice walk about 15 minutes before you head out will help if you have the time. When you get home and your dog is delighted to see you, that is a great time to do some trick work or fun obedience games and another walk. Nose games are great and although I believe our dogs love routine they like variety in games. When they get acclimated to a game it doesn't wear them out as much as when they first learned it. So flirt sticks are good. Tug games are good (they enjoy it more as we learn how to do the dance properly). Find it games are good. Mix it up.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
dOg
Elite Member

Give him a big raw femur, indestructo type fight back chew toys, because a good hard bite expends a ton of that energy, not to mention a while of peace and quiet while the bone gets cleaned, or the toy amuses. i make a toy of the gallon jugs, before crushing what's left and recycling. Hard to find the off switch if they're bleeding drive due to boredom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

I am going to suggest that you be bluntly honest with yourself. Shadow is over 8 years old and while she is well behaved, she is definitely easier to live with if she is properly exercised and mentally stimulated. Bud was pretty easy to manage but up to shortly before he died he absolutely needed enough activity to keep him occupied. I forced Sabi into retirement at around 10 years old and she was a witch to live with for the rest of her life. Not poorly behaved, just miserable.
Yes you will notice an energy drop at around 3 but I have NEVER seen a GSD of any age, type or gender that was content being sedentary. Your dog will require mental and physical stimulation to some degree for the rest of it's life. The people who tell you it will be fine say that because they commit to making sure it is.
Get a crate, give him adequate chews and make sure that the exercise is enough and you will be fine. But understand that at no point will this dog be a couch potato. With a bad heart I am still walking Shadow in excess of 8kms/5 miles a day, broken into 2-3 outings.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 AM

I believe off leash walks in nature are great outlets. The dogs sniff, run, investigate, and get to see the world.

I can't imagine how tight your time is working full time with a family and a young GSD. That is tough. I don't think you have to go for miles, as long as you make the time count. 20 minutes of off leash running in the woods, with fetch and some OB mixed in, twice a day, will probably help a lot.

Fetch at a ball field for 20 minutes is also great. I've measured distance and dogs have run 4 miles plus (all out) in that short time. Tug play can go a long way building a bond and giving the dog a great workout. It only takes 5-10 minutes if you do it right. Fetch at a lake is even better.

Biking can also be a nice option. He's old enough now. Buy a springer dog runner and go for a bike ride on a dirt path or dirt road. It is a great way to run the dog when you are short on time.

But some dogs are just destructive and need to be crated or contained when left alone even if well exercised. I have one of those. I think she'll improve with age, but at the moment, I need to put everything out of reach or supervise or crate. It's just how it is with some dogs- exercise or not.
Sabis mom and GSDenthusias like this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Knighted Member

A quick way that I used to burn off wnergy was to go our reservoirs or any place with a decent hill. I would stay at the top and throw the ball down. The running back up the steep side qould give them a good workout. Mine are good off leash so this was a great option for us.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Where can I buy a flirt pole? My local PetSmart store looked at me like I'm crazy when I asked them about it (I'm in Ontario, Canada). Or can I order online?
Thanks.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Where can I buy a flirt pole? My local PetSmart store looked at me like I'm crazy when I asked them about it (I'm in Ontario, Canada). Or can I order online?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDenthusias View Post
Find a shop that sells equine equipment ... you can make a nice flirt pole with a horse lunge whip with a rag or toy tied to the end. I use a 5.5 foot lunge whip with a 6 foot drop and tie an old ratty stuffless toy tied to the end, but you can use anything really.

Whip: https://www.countrymax.com/lunge-whi...ot-drop-black/
Toy: https://www.countrymax.com/skinneeez...ee-dog-toy-14/
Sabis mom and GSDenthusias like this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

I'm sure it's cheaper to make your own, but I got mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GSDenthusias likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page