Help with my GSD's disobediance on/off leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Help with my GSD's disobediance on/off leash

I just recently bought a 6 month old GSD (Odin) about 5 days ago. He was with another family before who could'nt keep him anymore due to unknown reasons to me. He was then given back to the breeder and resold to me and my wife. I have 3 other dogs (mutts), 2 cats, and a 3 year old son who he seems to do fine with so far. The issue i am having with Odin is he seems to only listen to my commands when on a leash and wearing his prong collar. When he is off leash he does not listen to my commands despite looking up at me when i call him. He then resumes doing whatever he wants completely disreguarding my commands. Currently all the commands he knows to my knowledge are sit, down, and we are working on stay (i say wait) at the moment. My question is, how do i get him to listen better off leash? Ideally i would like him to stop what he is doing when called and obey my following command (i.e. "Odin, stop." then "come" and so on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM

This dog does not even know you yet. You need to RELAX and allow him to trust you hence want to please you. You need to allow him to adjust first and try to keep things light and fun. He also might be teething for another month or so which doesn't feel so good. BOND with him and become friends and if he already listens when he is collared I',m sure he will listen off leash once he wants to please you. He is only 6 months old...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Playing "two ball" is fun and helps with recall.Throw one ball,call him back enthusiastically,show him the second ball,when he drops the first ball throw the second ball.Repeat and stop playing while he's still having fun.Coming when called should become a major positive event.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
This dog does not even know you yet. You need to RELAX and allow him to trust you hence want to please you. You need to allow him to adjust first and try to keep things light and fun. He also might be teething for another month or so which doesn't feel so good. BOND with him and become friends and if he already listens when he is collared I',m sure he will listen off leash once he wants to please you. He is only 6 months old...
I figured it was due to some trust issues. I have been giving him treats when he does what i ask and that seems to grab his attention fairly well. I am very much relaxed and being patient with him, I just wanted an opinion other than my own. Any tips on how to keep stuff light and fun for us both? i do think he is still teething a bit because he likes to chew on my bed frame. igot him a bully stick to try and counter the chewing on furniture and he destroyed it in one day and went back to chewing the bed frame. Any ideas on how to discourage this?
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

Also keep in mind that every command that you teach needs to be taught and proofed when adding distance. It took my guy a while to understand "down" from across a field. A lot of time and lots of repition adding distance incrementally. Same holds true when in different environments. They honestly don't understand.

The more fun you two have together, the stronger the bond, the stronger the bond, the more fun you have. It is a cycle that easily embraces obedience.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin's handler View Post
I figured it was due to some trust issues. I have been giving him treats when he does what i ask and that seems to grab his attention fairly well. I am very much relaxed and being patient with him, I just wanted an opinion other than my own. Any tips on how to keep stuff light and fun for us both? i do think he is still teething a bit because he likes to chew on my bed frame. igot him a bully stick to try and counter the chewing on furniture and he destroyed it in one day and went back to chewing the bed frame. Any ideas on how to discourage this?

He would be teething now...and he'll be chewing on things you don't want him to chew for a while yet...when giving something he CAN chew....we've had good luck out of nylon bones-I usually trash and replace monthly because they get sharp edges....we also have a couple of old school Kong solid rubber balls that have lasted pretty well... as far as him listening and obeying off leash....it'll take a while for him to become "yours" ...as others have mentioned 5 days is no time at all...he really doesn't know you yet.......consistency...patience and time are your best friends for a while....good luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin's handler View Post
as far as the chewing, i "puppy proofed" my house.
NO dangerous stuff that can be swallowed, or any objects that can be broken off and swallowed.
i see youtube videos where people come to their houses to find their remote control half bitten off and they are standing there making a god** video thinking it's cute.

puppy proof the house so that dangerous stuff cannot be chewed off or ingested.

about teething, freeze wet spare towels, and give him that, or ice.
he needs something to chew on for the pain and cold stuff numbs the mouth and relieves the pain.

i think i went through about 10 towels per day and that wasn't even enough because the towel would get worm within 15 minutes and he would move on to something else.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Once he knows and trusts you put him into a fun, beginning obedience class. He doesn’t follow your commands because he doesn’t know them yet. If the previous owner had done foolproof training he would know the commends, so assume he has no training at all even if you were told otherwise. I once fostered a 6 year old GSD who could not walk on a leash and who peed in the house. He was raised outdoors with no training at all. It took a few weeks but eventually he learned, even at age 6.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Play tug to develope a bond and be exciting and animated while doing so. Start out with short sessions and eventually add in commands like aus(out) or do some puppy calisthenics in between.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 AM

puppy proof the house so that dangerous stuff cannot be chewed off or ingested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page