Help with my GSD's disobediance on/off leash - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 AM

I have actually wiped tabasco sauce on items so they stay away. little goes a long way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin's handler View Post
igot him a bully stick to try and counter the chewing on furniture and he destroyed it in one day and went back to chewing the bed frame. Any ideas on how to discourage this?
Don't give access to the bed frame or anything else you don't want him to chew. On leash, much less, off leash obedience is not close to being reliable at that age. The pup is too immature and has not had enough repetitions in training different behaviors.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Knighted Member

My current dog was trained and reliable on or off leash at 5 months of age, but at 6 months she started blowing recall anytime she decided she'd rather go or do something else! She'd look at me, but choose to go another way.

To teach her that recall (or any other command for that matter!) was not optional I left a leash on her indoors, then called her to a location in the house that she didn't want to go to (for her it was the upstairs bathroom, because she got baths up there and she didn't like being in the tub). I would call her twice, once in a normal voice, and if she didn't respond, again in a more commanding tone. If she still didn't come I'd calmly walk over and grab the leash, and without a word, literally drag her to where I was when I called her and then praise lavishly and release her. For her it took only 2 repititions of that for her to "get it", the 3rd time she came on her own....and continued to recall both on and off leash until just recently.

She still always comes, but recently when she's persuing something, another dog or a squirrel or rabbit, she's started to continue the pursuit and then come after she's met the dog or lost track of the small animal - which is clearly unacceptable! The point being, even when they "know" what you want they will test you from time to time!

As others have said, since your dog is so new to you, I'd just wait awhile and get to know him better before working on obedience with him. It takes at least 2 weeks for them to settle in, and sometimes depending on the dog 3 or 4 or more. Give him time to adjust first, then show him commands are never optional using a leash. In my experience once they've become reliable on leash with sufficient repititions, it usually transfers pretty to off leash as well, but again requires sufficient practice.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

OK when people say "take it easy" let's translate that a bit more for you. For a couple of weeks the dog basically learns the routine of the home. No "socializing" no exposure to new experiences or people - just the family that lives in the home. After these couple of weeks, you start introducing "work" (aka obedience commands).

No off lead stuff for a long time... But before you get there ...to build a reliable recall a long line helps a lot (15 - 30 foot cotton lead) You'll want that if you do anything beyond AKC type obedience (and I am an advocate of doing more with your dog than standard obedience). In another couple of months when the long line recall is working like magic and you decide to brave off line again..... Another thing to do is to call urgently while turning and running the other direction (aka away from the dog) continuing to call excitedly. If you manage to trip and fall & curse while doing this, they get very excited with their recall. (sorry but it's true and I have no resistance to adding that tidbit). And when PIA puppy does come it's big reward time. Throw the ball, run and play. Coming to you isn't just boring, it's more rewarding than whatever it is he thought was so interesting. (so yeah, don't be so bloody boring..)

For saving your possessions, a crate is a great investment and you can make this crate stuff fun (look up crate games). As far as bitter apple stuff goes, it works for some dog. With my current eldest - it was just a condiment that enhanced the experience of furniture redesign, fashion designer/critic etc. She managed to chew holes in a couple of shirts riding shot gun while I drove....
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page