My puppy got attacked. 😐 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

My puppy got attacked. 😐

Today, a toy possessive German Shepherd attacked my 7 month old at the beach while we were with friends. Luckily, she’s not hurt. Just a little shaken. She’s the literal sweetest dog in the planet and just sat in my lap after. We stayed out a little longer and socialized with the other dogs. She was shaken but seems ok. Will she be scarred for life or in the future will this come back?! I didn’t scream at the owner because I wanted to act to my dog that this wasn’t a big deal and she’d be fine. But I was shaking. HUGE black GSD with an inexperienced owner. I’ve been super diligent with my girl and she’s the absolute best dog on the planet.

Separate rant, why do inexperienced dog owners get GSDs?! The owner mentioned they had a dog trainer who told them to HURT their dog when he attacked other dogs. I was shocked and said never do that and best to just keep toys out of the equation. But I was also in shock so didn’t say as much as I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 PM

Define:

1. Attacked - what happened
2. "hurt their dog" - how exactly
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:00 PM

I'm glad nobody got hurt!Unfortunately that's the chance you take when mingling with unknown dogs.Hanging out with friends and known dogs is a safer strategy.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Kyrielle, they probably are working with an all-positive dog trainer who looks at ANY sort of correction as being hurtful to the dog!

I'd say both dog and owner need a reality check! If my kid attacked another kid for no reason, there would be consequences...same thing goes with a dog!
Heartandsoul and Hellish like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:54 PM

Is this an off leash beach? If so, I personally wouldn't bring either of my dog to an off leash beach. A lot of people think their dogs are better trained than they are, so incidents like this happen. I'd like to be in a more controlled environment(Mostly because I know most dogs can't go toe to toe with mine, I don't want my dogs in a situation where they even need to back down another dog for being annoying or in their face). As for this coming back up in the future, I doubt it. Unless she's actually physically hurt, I wouldn't expect a ton of her behavior to change. Is she shaken after the fact? When you get home?

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
Define:

1. Attacked - what happened
2. "hurt their dog" - how exactly
1. Their dog went after my dog viciously. Snarling and biting until my dog was whimpering and yelping. Luckily people were nearby and ran over
2. BEAT the dog. That’s what the trainer recommended. The trainer told them to hurt the dog. I can’t even. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I'm glad nobody got hurt!Unfortunately that's the chance you take when mingling with unknown dogs.Hanging out with friends and known dogs is a safer strategy.
we were unfortunately. 😕 We were on a quiet strip of the beach with dogs we knew and the aggressive dog was just passing by. We don’t have a huge yard so I usually only take her to the beach on REALLY quiet days. Today was an exception. 😞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Kyrielle, they probably are working with an all-positive dog trainer who looks at ANY sort of correction as being hurtful to the dog!

I'd say both dog and owner need a reality check! If my kid attacked another kid for no reason, there would be consequences...same thing goes with a dog!
I wish honestly that they meant positive. The trainer told them to BEAT the dog. I was speechless. He literally told the owner to hurt the dog?! He said he can’t bring himself to do it thankfully. It sounds like they had struggled with dog aggression for awhile.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
Is this an off leash beach? If so, I personally wouldn't bring either of my dog to an off leash beach. A lot of people think their dogs are better trained than they are, so incidents like this happen. I'd like to be in a more controlled environment(Mostly because I know most dogs can't go toe to toe with mine, I don't want my dogs in a situation where they even need to back down another dog for being annoying or in their face). As for this coming back up in the future, I doubt it. Unless she's actually physically hurt, I wouldn't expect a ton of her behavior to change. Is she shaken after the fact? When you get home?
We unfortunately don’t have a big yard and we live across the street from the beach so it kinda is our yard. Usually I only take her during the week when it’s completely empty or just with dogs we know on the weekend and she stays in a group in a empty area. I don’t know what I’ll do for exercise now because I don’t want to take her during the weekends! Ugh.

Thank you so much for saying that! She doesn’t seem hurt at all. She was shaken walking home and didn’t want to greet dogs and usually she LOVES every dog she sees. But right after, she was friendly to a few dogs at the beadh and was ok.

I’m just so annoyed because the beach was the one safe place where we could take her (too many unsafe dog parks around here and packed parks with dogs) that only well behaved dogs go to. Maybe I’ll just walk her on weekends and save the beach for week days where it’s empty? 😕
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:51 PM
Elite Member

The other owner had/has no business being there if they can't keep their dog under control while he is out of control, but that's hind sight. It's too bad someone didn't point that out to him. Honestly, the owner needs to be held responsible and he got off easy this time.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM

A few years ago, my prior GSD, Becca had a bad encounter at the park (not dog park). A lady, who was fostering an 130 lb. Bullmastiff, lost hold of the leash. Becca and I were just walking on a path at the park and the Bullmastiff picked us as a target, charged over to us and grabbed Becca around the midsection and bit her.

Luckily, it was just a puncture wound. Becca had a course of antibiotics and was just fine. She didn't seem to have any significant trauma from the encounter. We avoided that section of the park for a long time.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
The other owner had/has no business being there if they can't keep their dog under control while he is out of control, but that's hind sight. It's too bad someone didn't point that out to him. Honestly, the owner needs to be held responsible and he got off easy this time.
Yes, he had no business at all being there. The other people around definitely shamed him. But I was in a panic but trying to keep it calm so my dog wouldn’t think it was traumatic. I just went blank and picked up my dog as fast as I could. He’s lucky my dog is 60 pounds and confident and it wasn’t the toy dog we were with! 😑

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
A few years ago, my prior GSD, Becca had a bad encounter at the park (not dog park). A lady, who was fostering an 130 lb. Bullmastiff, lost hold of the leash. Becca and I were just walking on a path at the park and the Bullmastiff picked us as a target, charged over to us and grabbed Becca around the midsection and bit her.

Luckily, it was just a puncture wound. Becca had a course of antibiotics and was just fine. She didn't seem to have any significant trauma from the encounter. We avoided that section of the park for a long time.
Ugh. I’m so sorry! People suck. That dog should be muzzled. That is so terrible that you were doing everything right and it still happened. My dog also got attacked awhile ago but not as serious as yours, while on a leash and I’m still angry about it. Some dog owners just suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page