My puppy got attacked. 😐 - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Kyrielle, they probably are working with an all-positive dog trainer who looks at ANY sort of correction as being hurtful to the dog!

I'd say both dog and owner need a reality check! If my kid attacked another kid for no reason, there would be consequences...same thing goes with a dog!
Possibly. I've just learned that when I read/hear "a dog attacked my dog" to be sure of the facts and not the emotional report. I've known "attacked" to mean, "my dog was bullied, but no one was hurt" (which I don't personally classify as an attack), "both dogs were growling, menacing, and pushing each other ferociously, but no one was hurt" (not an attack), or "my dog was sent to the vet after a dog bit it and tore it up" (which I would classify as an attack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
1. Their dog went after my dog viciously. Snarling and biting until my dog was whimpering and yelping. Luckily people were nearby and ran over
2. BEAT the dog. That’s what the trainer recommended. The trainer told them to hurt the dog. I can’t even. Ugh.

I wish honestly that they meant positive. The trainer told them to BEAT the dog. I was speechless. He literally told the owner to hurt the dog?! He said he can’t bring himself to do it thankfully. It sounds like they had struggled with dog aggression for awhile.
1. Was your dog sent to the vet? Was it bleeding? Limping? Physically damaged? Or was the dog scared and intimidated, but unharmed? Keep in mind dogs get into disagreements, and they are loud and scary. They are also over within seconds, a decision about who is boss is usually made, and they both walk away from each other unharmed. That is why I asked.

The best thing you can do in either situation is to remain calm and remove your dog from the situation. Don't pick up the dog. Just walk away. Remain utterly calm and resolute, though. This way, you're teaching your dog that the best response to any BS from another dog is to walk away calmly and show disinterest. "You don't want to be nice. Fine. I'm leaving." is what they'll be saying. Dogs don't like to be socially rejected, especially in a calm and resolute way, and it usually makes the offender offer appeasement signals instead (unless the other dog is out to kill yours in which case you have full authority to defend yourself and dog by whatever means necessary).

2. Ew. That sucks. That trainer must be old school. It's none of your business, but maybe if you get to know that person, recommend a trainer that offers other corrective methods that don't involve significant pain or hitting the dog.

Last edited by Kyrielle; 04-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
Oops! No! My dog is my baby though so it makes sense itís confusing.. 😳

That is so awful! Iím so sorry that happened. I know a GSD like that. They worked with a trainer and it didnít help much. 😕 I seem to be ok with my girl. Sheís as confident as ever and playful so fingers crossed... 😞
Maybe wrong trainer, perhaps? Something that I learned over the years...what one trainer/vet doesn't know, another may. Always get a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinion if possible. Anyway, good that your girl is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page