My puppy got attacked. 😐 - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:17 PM
Master Member

Young dogs/puppies being attacked by an older adult is a big reason IMO that some dogs grow into being "dog aggressive"...I think a lot depends on the young pups temperament ...whether they're actually hurt or just frightened and how their owner reacts.....I'm not a trainer but I've had a couple dogs that came to me with some problems ...most folks would label dog aggression.....I think folks many times after an attack "shelter" the dog...keep it at home away from other dogs......they keep it away from contact with other dogs so long that when the owner decides to "try" it again the dog has grown and it's memories of strange dogs isn't good...and the now adult dog ends up being dog aggressive.....OP your dog is at an age where she's going through some changes......that will affect who she is as an adult

Moving forward I'd have her right back in the water--so to speak around other dogs...the key is that you MUST know the owners well enough that you trust them and their ability to control their dogs at this point don't allow her around owners/dogs you can't vouch for....have these short sessions with dogs/owners you know...do it over and over and over again....it'll take time but likely she'll end up fine....what you can't afford to allow to happen is a repeat... because you didn't know an owners ability to control their dog
misfits, Nigel, Kyrielle and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:32 PM

when i first came onto this forum with a new GSD puppy, i read alot of posts from many members saying do not take your dog to a dog park. and i kind of stuck to that rule because to this date, my dog almost turns 3 now, have never been to a dog park.

i am really SICK of owners that don't/can't control their dogs.
and this isn't just with GSDs. it can happen with small dogs, large dogs, fenced dogs that escape their yard, leashed dogs that leap out from owner's weak grip, and worst of all, off leash dogs that are in a "leash only" area.

i see too many videos online of a pedestrian just walking down the street minding their own business, and some random dog runs out from their yard, or escapes from their owner's grip, and attack the pedestrian.

this isn't just "inexperienced GSD owners". can happen with ANY dog of any breeds.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
Young dogs/puppies being attacked by an older adult is a big reason IMO that some dogs grow into being "dog aggressive"...I think a lot depends on the young pups temperament ...whether they're actually hurt or just frightened and how their owner reacts.....I'm not a trainer but I've had a couple dogs that came to me with some problems ...most folks would label dog aggression.....I think folks many times after an attack "shelter" the dog...keep it at home away from other dogs......they keep it away from contact with other dogs so long that when the owner decides to "try" it again the dog has grown and it's memories of strange dogs isn't good...and the now adult dog ends up being dog aggressive.....OP your dog is at an age where she's going through some changes......that will affect who she is as an adult

Moving forward I'd have her right back in the water--so to speak around other dogs...the key is that you MUST know the owners well enough that you trust them and their ability to control their dogs at this point don't allow her around owners/dogs you can't vouch for....have these short sessions with dogs/owners you know...do it over and over and over again....it'll take time but likely she'll end up fine....what you can't afford to allow to happen is a repeat... because you didn't know an owners ability to control their dog
The dog who attacked my puppy had been attacked as a puppy. So I had some empathy that the dog was just traumatized. Thanks!! I’ll definitely get her started right away again with dogs she knows. We’re lucky that we know a ton of nice dogs right around us that wouldn’t hurt a fly even if provoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_GSD View Post
when i first came onto this forum with a new GSD puppy, i read alot of posts from many members saying do not take your dog to a dog park. and i kind of stuck to that rule because to this date, my dog almost turns 3 now, have never been to a dog park.

i am really SICK of owners that don't/can't control their dogs.
and this isn't just with GSDs. it can happen with small dogs, large dogs, fenced dogs that escape their yard, leashed dogs that leap out from owner's weak grip, and worst of all, off leash dogs that are in a "leash only" area.

i see too many videos online of a pedestrian just walking down the street minding their own business, and some random dog runs out from their yard, or escapes from their owner's grip, and attack the pedestrian.

this isn't just "inexperienced GSD owners". can happen with ANY dog of any breeds.
I feel the same way. ARGH. I’ve already had bad experiences with my dog leashed and doing nothing wrong in a completely leash only area so I’m kinda over worrying about off leash at the beach since I know I can control my dog off or on leash and crap is going to happen since I live in a densely populated area. This guy couldn’t get his dog to even come back when called. My PUPPY can be chasing a bird or a squirrel and I can get her to a dead stop and running back to me no matter what.
Argh. Still frustrated by this. I’ve been attacked by dogs and gotten over it but now inexperienced/crap dog owners are meaning my puppy gets hurt and THAT is what annoys me
Pan_GSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

The one positive thing though was how my dog is so insanely even tempered. I can’t believe her temperament. No clue how we got so lucky with her.

And we got her dna tests back and she’s clear of all 155 things that wisdom panel tests for!
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM

I have a question....

I did not have an "aggressive dog" until after he got neutered. He got neutered back in January, and is two years old. Up until this time, he was wonderful with dogs. He loved them. Now he growls, snarls, at dogs when they come toward him. Its a definite new temperament for him. My question is, can they become aggressive after they have been neutered? It was only 4 months ago and he has even gone to the kennel a couple times this year. Definitely seeking help on training, I have to nip this in the bud...

Thoughts?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauxrowdy17 View Post
I have a question....

I did not have an "aggressive dog" until after he got neutered. He got neutered back in January, and is two years old. Up until this time, he was wonderful with dogs. He loved them. Now he growls, snarls, at dogs when they come toward him. Its a definite new temperament for him. My question is, can they become aggressive after they have been neutered? It was only 4 months ago and he has even gone to the kennel a couple times this year. Definitely seeking help on training, I have to nip this in the bud...

Thoughts?

As far as neutering... based on what some members here say (not my own experience)...the short answer for some folks is yes...For me I don't have a yes or a no answer...but... I'd be curious when you first noticed this and how time frame wise it relates to "and he has even gone to the kennel a couple times this year"...very possible an incident may have occurred involving another dog... while your dog was in someone elses care.....a kennel owner or a vets office typically will NOT own up to an incident that happened out of an owners sight.. and tell the owner about it....point is....something may have happened with another dog to cause yours now to be dog aggressive ....something you will never know...regardless I'd find a trainer who works with GSDs--you likely won't have luck trying to "fix" it by yourself
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

Had my male neutered at age 3. The ONLY change I noticed in his behaviour was he didn't pee/scent mark on the front counter at the vet's anymore!

He would still take on another male dog that wanted to rumble. He'd never be the instigator in the fight, and was very good with other dogs, BUT if another male obviously wanted to fight, he would not back down.

This was true both before and after he was neutered.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauxrowdy17 View Post
I have a question....

Thoughts?
Absolutely. He is probably not "aggressive". He is reactive. He lost all of his testosterone. He lost his confidence. It will take training to get it under control. E-collar training is the only thing that helped with mine. Helped, didn't cure it. All dogs are different though. You may be able to correct it before it gets too far along.

I started to see issues with my male Pyrenees. The vet said, get him fixed! It did the opposite of "fix" him. It made it much worse. I won't make that mistake again.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM

OMG. When I first read your posting, you said, "a...German Shepherd attacked my 7 month old..." My first thought was a GSD attacked your 7 month old baby, not puppy.

Anyway, my previous dog was attacked by a big white pit bull mix at a dog park. (Up until that incident, he was friendly to all dogs. Never went to a dog park after that.) From then on, he would aggressively bark at every big white dog in my neighborhood (there were 4 big white poodles that lived in the neighborhood) that crossed his path regularly. He wanted to tear them apart. Even in his last 2 months - fragile with a broken leg, loss of weight, feeling sick from vomiting, and dying of liver cancer - big white dogs would still get a rise out of him. I used to take him to the annual pet expo around me, and after that incident I couldn't anymore. What I probably should've done was hire a good trainer after and worked on it. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
OMG. When I first read your posting, you said, "a...German Shepherd attacked my 7 month old..." My first thought was a GSD attacked your 7 month old baby, not puppy.

Anyway, my previous dog was attacked by a big white pit bull mix at a dog park. (Up until that incident, he was friendly to all dogs. Never went to a dog park after that.) From then on, he would aggressively bark at every big white dog in my neighborhood (there were 4 big white poodles that lived in the neighborhood) that crossed his path regularly. He wanted to tear them apart. Even in his last 2 months - fragile with a broken leg, loss of weight, feeling sick from vomiting, and dying of liver cancer - big white dogs would still get a rise out of him. I used to take him to the annual pet expo around me, and after that incident I couldn't anymore. What I probably should've done was hire a good trainer after and worked on it. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Oops! No! My dog is my baby though so it makes sense it’s confusing.. 😳

That is so awful! I’m so sorry that happened. I know a GSD like that. They worked with a trainer and it didn’t help much. 😕 I seem to be ok with my girl. She’s as confident as ever and playful so fingers crossed... 😞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page