Tug toys? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Tug toys?

This is a little silly, but I have had problems playing tug with both my current dogs. They tend to "bite up" (adjusting their grip, higher and higher) on whatever tug toy we use, and eventually seem to get a little to close to my hand. I have never been seriously injured--not a scratch, just a bruise here and there. But how do I avoid that?

Boy, do I feel idiotic asking that question. It should be simple and when someone tells me the "trick," I'm going to smack myself (with a wet noodle) for being so dense

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM

Get something long that you can hold with one hand at each end and let the dog bite it in the middle...then when they "bite up" one direction or another, just drop that hand. Also, mix the game up and don't give them so much time to adjust their grip higher and higher...pull them side to side...let them win...if you win a tug, play keep-a-way for a bit.

My dobie would drift up the tug and be in danger of accidentally biting my hand, too...but only if I let her. Just use a toy that gives you more options (dropping one hand while the other stays safe, for instance), be quick, and keep the game moving in different directions (including letting them win) so they get less chance to drift toward your hands.

That's my lay-man's approach to tug, anyhow.
car2ner and mkculs like this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Untamed View Post
Get something long that you can hold with one hand at each end and let the dog bite it in the middle...then when they "bite up" one direction or another, just drop that hand. Also, mix the game up and don't give them so much time to adjust their grip higher and higher...pull them side to side...let them win...if you win a tug, play keep-a-way for a bit.

My dobie would drift up the tug and be in danger of accidentally biting my hand, too...but only if I let her. Just use a toy that gives you more options (dropping one hand while the other stays safe, for instance), be quick, and keep the game moving in different directions (including letting them win) so they get less chance to drift toward your hands.

That's my lay-man's approach to tug, anyhow.
Thanks; I think that is kind of what I do, and it seems to "interrupt" the game---but that IS the game, if I follow you correctly. I had a dog that would just pull and pull--no adjusting--and maybe it's just that dogs play it differently.

Maureen
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 AM

sometimes it is easier to see, than read about.
mkculs likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post

sometimes it is easier to see, than read about.
That is very helpful; thanks!

Maureen
Madison, WI
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
That is very helpful; thanks!
Yeah, it's nice outside and I think I'll go out and play tug with my dogs.
mkculs likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Part of it is teaching the dog to target the tug. Smaller tugs can actually be better for this. You can see in the video that car2ner posted that the people hold the tug on each end with a fairly small area between their hands for the dog to bite, and the tug is only 8" long. If you have a larger tug, just don't give them all of it, present a smaller area for them to target. Once your dogs have learned to target it correctly, you can probably use a longer tug, or hold it on just one end or whatever., and the behavior will hopefully transfer.

I have a very long braided fleece tug to use in flyball, and Cava is learning to grab it while I'm running away from her with my back turned. In this case, a long tug is preferable, something that can be dragged on the ground as you run, but also so there's plenty of room for the dog to grab it without being dangerously close to your hand, lol. Some dogs will still bite up though. I have two Orbee balls on Cava's tug, and I've taught her to target those, like I did with Halo. If Halo missed a ball and got the fleece she'd usually re-grip on a ball on her own, or I'd just say "ball" and she would let got of the fleece and grab a ball. At first I used an Orbee ball on a rope with Halo but that was a little gnarly and she did get my hand a couple of times, so I got the idea of making her a tug with Orbees on it.
LuvShepherds and mkculs like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Mine likes rubber frisbees, but they can bite up the tug on any size or shape. I also use a ball on a rope. You are safest teaching them where to bite rather than increasing size. I was doing scentwork and my dog was having a lazy day so I amped him first using a tug. He got so excited he jumped and bit at the same time at the top of the toy and nailed my hand. Fortunately it was a scratch wound rather than a puncture and easy to clean out, but awfully painful. As soon as I bandaged it, we started working on where to grab. I also taught him the word “take” so he won’t grab the toy until I’m ready for him. He must wait for permission.
car2ner and mkculs like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Ouch! I had that happen with the rubber Kong flying disc when my boy was much younger. He got excited and my body language was confusing. He jumped up and caught the disc and my finger and I had to not yell at my boy. I made sure to work on making my movements clearer so he'll know when to join in. It is like two people trying to dance together.
mkculs likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

It hurts! My last male rescue was a ball fiend. Once, he grabbed a tennis ball I was holding and squeezed. My fingers were stuck and he would not let go. He didn’t bite down, just squeezed, so I wasn’t injured, but he didn’t ever learn Aus and would not release. So, we walked over to the ball bag and I grabbed several more tennis balls and threw them. He was so excited he released the ball and my fingers. I never did that again. I always threw the ball before he was anywhere near me.
mkculs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page