Tug toys? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

I recall posting a thread on targeting years ago and remember a few more experienced members saying to choke up on the toy vs giving them more room to bite. It sounded a bit counterintuitive, but it works. My now 9 year old female and 6 year male did great with this, we rarely encounter problems other than my girls possessiveness. My (wife's dog) newest member still bites wildly and will grab whatever, he's making me rethink training in a number of areas.
mkculs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 PM

This is my experience with tug with my dogs. I bought a Goughnuts tug that is super durable and has a lifetime warranty for around $20. The trick is when playing tug, keep an even amount of pressure so they can’t regrip easily. My dogs are too good to not know if I blatantly let them win, we battle it out and they often do win lol.
mkculs likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 PM

I would probably let the dog bite me and then put on a display of crying and acting hurt. Dogs realize that play is a mutual thing and every dog that I have had will adjust their play to keep from hurting whoever they are playing with. Like for instance, our 10-pound mutt who is able to pin the 100-pound female GSD to the floor. The ten pounder knows not to really hurt the other dog because the play will stop if she does.

If there are two dogs, I would do this one at a time until I get each dog clued in. Things are harder to get across when they are together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:00 PM

I bought a Kong tug toy like the one in the link below.. It isnt a solution to your problem, but it helped with my dog.. After plying with this toy, and having to bite and hold a certain spot to make the game fun, he has learned not to bite unless he gets the end.. Works great..

https://www.chewy.com/kong-tug-dog-t...tm_campaign=hg
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
dOg
Elite Member

they make really awesome gloves that you can use to protect your hands. they don't have to be rescue worker industrial strength to provide safety from whitefang playing too exuburently. seriously, an ounce of prevention, at least while you both learn how play with any new thing, makes it more fun, less stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM

drat drat drat..even with all I know I still got my thumb nailed today. I was reaching for the toy when my gal-dog decided to readjust her bite. This is one reason why dogs aren't allowed to "chew" while in protection sports. They get a full bite and hold on. Safer for everyone.

My thumb, no blood but bruised. ouch

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Yeaha....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_193111_1554418548651.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	519805  
car2ner and Katsugsd like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page