6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kazel
  • 3 Post By Fodder
  • 2 Post By tim_s_adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Introducing dogs that are related.

Hi,

I have 3yr old female GSD, that I’ve had since she was 8 weeks old.
Her (neutered) brother, she has not seen since they were littermates, will be joining us soon.

Does anyone have experience of reintroducing siblings from the same litter?

Only resources I’ve found are about having two pups at the same time.

Any tips/advice for how to help him settle and to reintroduce them to each other?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 PM

One tip commonly given is to introduce the dogs in a neutral setting so ideally neither have the need to get territorial or defensive. If you have parks or a friend's house you could go to that could be nice. I wouldn't say dog park because at dog parks a lot is going there.

I'd keep both on a relaxed leash. It's really going to depend on individual dog temperament as well. My friend was watching a dog that is a bit fearful of others and so when we went on an outing together we just walked the dogs on opposite sides of each other like we were just going on a regular walk. Both were around each other but not forced to interact so it worked well.

For dogs who are reactive of get leash reactive I'm not sure how that would go. You can also just let them do a regular meet and greet on the leash. There are several techniques.

Probably the most common method that'll work for dogs is to just let them meet and sniff each other on a leash so they can get used to one another. I'd still advise trying to keep the leash relaxed so they aren't straining at it trying to get to the other dog.

With my one dog I was fostering after the introduction that didn't show any aggression signs I took them to a fenced in area(Not my house) and let them run around in the area leashes still attached but not being held so they could be grabbed in an emergency. But I only did that after there were no signs of aggression between the two.
dogma13 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Tip #1 - Treat it as an introduction, not a “reintroduction”.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Knighted Member

Fodder hit it right, it's an introduction not a re anything. Siblings raised together form a bond, as do dogs from different origins. But siblings who've been apart for awhile are complete strangers to each other. No different than introducing dogs that have never met before. Though my personal approach is less micromanaging than some, it is always best to let them meet on neutral territory first. Take it slow, and watch closely their body language...don't rush anything, because positives can come slowly, negatives are not quickly forgotten!
wolfy dog and car2ner like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page