Mouthy 5 month old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mouthy 5 month old GSD

Hello everyone!
I have a 5 month old GSD that is very mouthy with my 5 year old daughter. My husband and I have tried to discourage his mouthiness with her, but we aren’t successful. While I know he’s teething, so he’s going to be mouthy to a certain degree, it seems he’s over the top with my daughter. Anytime she’s around him, he’s putting his mouth on her arms and legs. He never breaks the skin, and it’s not aggressive at all. We’ve tried showing her how to ignore him if he gets too mouthy, saying no, etc, but it seems nothing works. If we firmly call his name and say no he’ll stop for a second and then he’s right back to putting his mouth on her. I know he loves her, views her as a playmate, and he’s protective of her, but she gets tired of him constantly putting his mouth on her. What can we do? Do we just have to wait for him to outgrow this? My husband has worked on the GS being mouthy on him, to the point he’s almost stopped, but the GS hasn’t made the connection that he can’t be mouthy with our daughter. Any tips on how to teach him to stop mouthing her so much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page