Were you relieved when you surrendered your GSD due to destructive behaviors - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh View Post

I still have him. I had been crate training him but then as soon as I stopped, he reverted back to hsi old ways within two weeks. The crate is now being utilized, again. I may still find a better home for him as his issues he seemed to have since birth have not cleared up, IE, us not really having a "bond" like I mentioned earlier. Even as a pub, he barely like to be held, touched, leaned on or anything and has never, not one time, actually came and laid or let any body part rest on me. To all the other GSD owners who do that for you, I do not know what that feels like.
Not every dog fits every person. He's young. Only 1 year old. IMO, without judgement, just rehome him. Call your breeder and have them help you rehome him. He doesn't fit you. Do it now while he's still young. There is no shame in that.

My male was crated until he was 4. My young monkey now will be crated for several years if we aren't home. She eats EVERYTHING.

My girl, I lost a year ago, wanted to be near me always. If I picked her up, she would lay with me for a few minutes but never long. Her "cuddling" was on her terms but if she was on the ottoman she was touching me. My female puppy is the same. She lays ON me if we're sitting and is near me at all times.

My male lays on the floor.He will occasionally come up and lay on me for a couple of minutes but never long and hates to be restrained or held. I've spent the last 5 years training him for competition. He is my shadow in all things. That bond is stronger than any other I've ever had. He just doesn't like to be laid on or restrained in any way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

My first male karat was very funny being hugged or loved up he was no cuddler but I respected that - I would not want to trip over him in the night but that never happend and we had no little kids then that was or allowed to crawl on him. I loved that dog and still tell stories about till this day to my kids.
Luna female is sweet but she is not a big cuddler she will lie next to you though. Max my male is my shadow and is a giant cuddler he follows me from room to room it will kill him if a gate separates us lol! I will never be the same once he leaves this world. He knows if I have a scrape on me and will investigate or if anything changes I never had dog who was so intune with me. They all are different if you cannot love there imperfections or who they are it will not work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh;9154863

[B
It looks as if you are trying to be funny but in light of everyone else's comments, it appears only as a "jab" at my predicament. Perhaps you meant it in a light-hearted way. Or maybe you didn't. I don't know[/B].

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried......my sarcasm was generated by this thread turning into a competition of sorts....as to who had to deal with the most "problems"....but yet all the "problems" cited were not deal breakers and life went on.....maybe they posted them to make you feel you're not the only one with an adolescent hellion of a dog.....??

IMHO... @desinif gave you an honest reply......the very first reply....."You aren’t going to find the answer you want to hear, not here at least. Everything you’ve stated sounds like an unsupervised, untrained, and potentially very bored GSD. They are a highly intelligent and active breed that require a lot more than “get lucky, have perfect dog.”

At this point you sound as if your mind is made and it really does sound that this is not a proper fit for you.
"

I have little if any idea regarding the effort and expectations you had regarding raising a GSD....but it is clearly evident....you didn't get what you bargained for.....a lesson hard learned......that's too bad....seriously.

My guess is.....most forum members like a challenge and truly enjoy the process of raising/training/committing/ and provide the needs/requirements of a GSD.

FWIW....the "destructive behaviors" of the GSD breed.....is as @desinif suggested.....or maybe your GSD was a genetic mess and you were screwed no matter what....I have no idea.

Move on and rehome your dog....you've given up on the process........just understand the lesson learned...which I'm sure you will.

I'm sure your concern for your dog will ensure he ends up in a quality home.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

The impression I have from what you've said is, you don't like the dog and the probability is very high, you resent it. It's not fair on the dog. You both need a fresh start.
post #85 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried......my sarcasm was generated by this thread turning into a competition of sorts....as to who had to deal with the most "problems"....but yet all the "problems" cited were not deal breakers and life went on.....maybe they posted them to make you feel you're not the only one with an adolescent hellion of a dog.....??
SuperG
I was simply pointing out that a bored puppy may be a bit destructive but as a breed GSD's rank pretty low on the destruction scale, at least in my experience. I have had many other breeds that made them look like little angels.
For most committed owners they are probably pretty easy.
But, as I said, I was also under the impression that most people are aware that puppies bite, chase, chew and in general disrupt a peaceful life with all the adorable mayhem and chaos.
The OP seems to have disliked this dog from the start and perhaps the dog is responding to that. Either way this journey seems at an end and I sincerely hope both dog and owner find what they need.
SuperG likes this.
post #86 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I hate to say it but this dog has been 5x the hassle than he's worth. I understand SOME biting, chewing and general shenanigans from pups but from 8 weeks til now at 18 months old but he has ravaged my house and backyard at every opportunity given. This morning, I come downstairs to find my plastic tupperware in the back yard he had chewed up, again. I think it's time to give him up. I know of NO other dog owners who go through this. He is absolute **** and it wouldnt be AS bad if I didnt have to worry about him chewing up the siding on my house which he has taken to now. I literally would never in a million years gotten a GSD if I had known they are like this and cause absolutely destruction to your house. I would post pictures but all in all, he's easily caused over $3000 in damages (siding, flooring, electric lines he dug up, tools, couch, tupperware, chewed up my bed, etc etc)

Some people luck out & get PERFECT dogs while I get the worst behaving you can just about find. I think it's time to give him up. Absolutely no way I'll endure this for another 18 months while he "comes around."

So my question is, who here has surrendered the GSD & how did you feel afterwards

You brought up perfect dogs not any of us. No dog is perfect.
post #87 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
I do not believe you understand the amount of destruction he has caused....
You've gone on and on about all the things he's destroyed and how much that's cost you. Yes, that's a problem. I get it. But all the things are not separate isolated incidents that have nothing to do with each other, it's basically ONE simple problem - lack of proper management to prevent him from having the opportunity to get at and chew up things he shouldn't have access to. Over and over and over again. My almost 15 month old puppy sleeps in a crate in our bedroom at night, right next to our 13-1/2 year old dog, who also sleeps in a crate. When we're gone, they have a secure chain link pen in the garage with a dog door to a separately fenced dog run. Neither of them have ever been left alone in the house or loose in the rest of our yard when we've been gone. I doubt they ever will, we've always confined our dogs when we can't supervise them. I can only imagine the fun they'd have digging up the plants if they had the chance! And I'd rather not come home from a nice dinner and find my leather couches chewed up. It's a nice idea that crate training is temporary, and for some dogs and some owners, it is. Even if I *think* I can trust my dogs, I'm not taking the chance. Better safe than sorry.

It sounds like you don't like this dog. You resent him for not being what you'd hoped he would be and he falls short when compared to your previous dogs. I suspect he senses that - hence, the lack of bond between you. If you decide you want to keep him, you're going to have to work on that. I still haven't seen you mention if you've done any kind of training with him, which would be a good place to start. He's not going to just "come around" without you putting a significant amount of time and effort in. Are you willing to do that? Do you have access to good trainers nearby and the means to take some classes or private lessons? You've said a lot about what HE does, but what have YOU done to work on the relationship and show him what you expect of him? Do you set him up to succeed and then reinforce it when he does? Does he ever do anything that pleases you, and if so, do you make sure he knows he's done well? Do you encourage him? Do you minimize his opportunities to misbehave? Or does he just keep getting in trouble again and again? It's really hard to tell from your posts.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #88 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Elite Member

I basically asked the same thing on page 2. Interesting that the op skipped that reply/ didn't answer a sincere question when replying to others. There is a saying that holds truth for both humans and dogs: Bad attention is better than no attention.

But on the plus side, it was threads like this that help me and probably a lot of newbies get past the lumps bumps and potholes.
Cassidy's Mom and Sabis mom like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 03-26-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #89 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Master Member

"Some people luck out & get PERFECT dogs while I get the worst behaving you can just about find"

^^^^^^^ OP your words from YOUR thread starter

I have seen 20+ posts saying WELL IF YOU JUST WANT A PERFECT BREED FORGET ABOUT IT - or something like it. Not anywhere in my posts have I said I wanted a perfect dog. None exist. Nothing is perfect. Not us, not dogs - nothing except maybe spiritually. I do not believe you understand the amount of destruction he has caused and are simply throwing around the word "perfect" as a guise of blindly accepting any level of mayhem they create.

^^^^^^^^^ OP your words from post # 74---------I'm sure with this right in front of your nose you still don't have a clue where members here came up with "perfect dogs"-in the same way you didn't have a clue what to do with some of the good advice from your thread a year ago.....I'm still not convinced this thread is actually "real"....but regardless if it is real--then the problems you say you have....were all created by and allowed to grow by you and you alone......as someone who's had to "fix" issues...REAL ISSUES with dogs caused by ignorant owners who would not put the time into the animal no pity for you at all !!!.....so 100% of my sympathies lie with the dog (again if this story is real) and not an ounce with you.....if your dog is in fact real--than do the dog and everyone who loves this breed a favor and turn him over to a breed rescue....and as another member said..get yourself a stuffed animal

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 03-26-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #90 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I have had many other breeds that made them look like little angels.

Similar experience here......but only one other previous breed..... all my fault for the destruction and havoc that dog created.....I'll give that dog a pass due to my ignorance .....but I sure did learn a lot from that dog......experience sure can be a great teacher even when things go wrong. Funny thing is....even though Rex the Irish Setter was a mess because of me....I loved that dog all the same....all 13 years worth.

The next 3 dogs...all GSDs....were a walk in the park......all thanks to Rex.

SuperG
Sabis mom likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page