Were you relieved when you surrendered your GSD due to destructive behaviors - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn II View Post
So I'm reading this thread and I hear my wife from the other room say Ranger has figured out how to open our two trash cans that have the foot pedal thing on the bottom. - no joke

He did it on the small one in her office that had some McDonalds wrappings in it and apparently he just did it on the bigger one outside the kitchen.

Her office is usually closed when shes not in there and the kitchen is blocked off...and now I guess we'll have to move the kitchen trash can inside the blocked off area!

I just read this and it made me howl.....we lost our solid black Cody..Oct. last year....these are good memories......

he was always a chow hound and would eat anything he thought had ever been food---that said he never figured out the foot pedal on the trash can in the kitchen... although he would sit and watch looking sorta puzzled--like magic it would open when my wife or I walked up to the can....sorta like a class room student who just couldn't grasp the concept......what he DID figure out was how easy it was to flip the lid (on this giant dog food bowl) up with his nose and have at it...I always wished I'd managed to get a pic of him with a chicken breast wrapper in his mouth or muzzle in a soup can...the expression of complete innocence was hilarious....he'd jerk around quickly when I shouted-- CODY !! and give me that look that said "Geez dad I don't know how the can got on my nose--I think one of the other dogs put it there while I was asleep".....great memories ...
Arathorn II likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM

I am on the verge of strangling my dog, yesterday was a bad day, actually it was a bad week.
He is a destructive, obnoxious pain in the rear, with no lead manners. He has figured out how to open doors, gets mud everywhere including my bed, sometimes he won't come in from toileting outside and I end up yelling at him.
He is 7 months old and driving me batty, even thought about tying him to a lamppost and walking off, unfortunately the lamppost is right out side my window and all the locals know he is my dog, lol.

However than he puts his head on my shoulder, or tries to cuddle up and I love him all over again. He is a beautiful monster.
I've just taken out a massive loan to get the garden patioed over and the lead antics are my own fault, I'm going through an insanely busy few weeks and have not given him the attention he needs. Something that will change.

No animal is perfect, or ever will be, and it sounds like you expected your dog to be perfect, without putting in any time. Please don't get another dog.
post #43 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
So you got lucky with this perfect dog, did you?

We were blessed with a very smart dog. Almost too smart!
Shane'sDad likes this.

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post

he never figured out the foot pedal on the trash can in the kitchen... although he would sit and watch looking sorta puzzled--like magic it would open when my wife or I walked up to the can
- I thought this guy was hilarious! Loved the ending to his performance

I think the push pedal trash cans are a little more secure than those trash cans that are motion sensitive
Shane'sDad likes this.

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #45 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

I woke up two mornings ago to find the kitchen trash strewn all over the floor, courtesy of my 12 year old GSD. Even as a puppy, she loved to tip over my office waste basket, and rummage through it, though she rarely found anything edible.

Anyway, she figured out how to open the kitchen cupboards about 3 years ago, and after that NOTHING was safe! I tried putting the trash in a plastic can with a foot pedal lid. She just chewed it to pieces. She'd knock metal cans over, and eventually figure out how to get the lids off. I then went back to putting the trash in the container under the sink, and put child proof latches on the cupboard doors: she figured them out in just THREE DAYS!!

After I moved in December, it took her awhile to learn how to manage these new cupboard door handles, and a trash can that sits on a slide-out track, so it can't just be tipped over. Then, one day, my BF came into the kitchen to find her with her whole head in the trash can, munching away on some pork chop bones...

I really thought I had her beat. I put two very strong elastic bands around the door handles. It worked fine until the other night.

I thought at first it was MY fault for forgetting to put the elastics back in place after putting something in the trash. Then, as I was cleaning up, I found one of the bands lying on the floor, broken. Not sure if she bit it in two, or just pulled on the doors until the bands snapped!

I'm now back to what I used to do in the previous house: any trash she MIGHT be interested in goes in a separate container, on the other side of a door!

The only problem with THAT is figuring out what might interest her. She's gone into the trash after a bag with a few cracker crumbs left in the bottom. Another time, it was some shrimp tails, or a freezer bag with a tiny bit of meat juice left from a hamburger. She has quite the nose on her...

Then, there's the non-food items. The same day she got into the trash, I found a winter glove made of acrylic yarn lying on her dog bed. She'd chewed one of the fingers off!

Guess that was the appetizer for the night-time raid on the kitchen garbage!
post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:03 PM

I feel your pain, lol. You’d think that at 9 years old, Carly wouldn’t keep opening every door and crate and gate and trash can she comes across. She’s very nosy. It’s like living with a really big raccoon. Round doorknobs? Not a problem.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I feel your pain, lol. You’d think that at 9 years old, Carly wouldn’t keep opening every door and crate and gate and trash can she comes across. She’s very nosy. It’s like living with a really big raccoon. Round doorknobs? Not a problem.
I'm loving these stories!

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Round door knobs? Now, THAT takes talent! Maybe he IS part raccoon!
post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Once proudly showed a military dog trainer that my girl could do 'paw'. To which he replied 'Congratulations, you have taught her how to open doors' He forgot to add that included handles of all kinds but also bolts, yale locks and baby gates
dogfaeries and Sabis mom like this.
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
On at least two occasions Sabi let other dogs out of crates, I never found a doorknob that stumped her, gate latches posed no real issue, she untied knots like a pro(demonstrated that one the night I got mugged and had my head split open) and used to lock me out of the truck periodically until I agreed to her demands. She also turned on lights. Although trash was technically beneath her about once a year or so she would punish me by pulling the bag out of the can and holding it by the bottom while walking through the house. Neither latching nor pedals nor cupboard locks stopped her. She also mastered the art of pulling an entire roll of toilet paper through the house without tearing it or detaching the end from the roll. I consider myself fortunate that she was essentially a well mannered dog. She could have made my life very miserable.
And she made very sure to teach Shadow the art of doorknobs before leaving us.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 03-20-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page