Were you relieved when you surrendered your GSD due to destructive behaviors - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:58 AM
Crowned Member

LOL! It doesn't take a mensa!

If nothing else, I hope this ruins our breed for you. Maybe a clumber spaniel would be right for you.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I cracked up laughing at this. That’s amazing. 😂

OP: My 7 month old wasn’t left unsupervised for more than 2 minutes. She is still crated if I’m not in the house with her and she gets an inch of trust for every mile of good work she does. Puppies aren’t born knowing they shouldn’t chew your house apart. It sounds like the dog should have been rehomed earlier to me. My puppy is now one of those perfect dogs but that’s after months of exhausting training (on my side, ha. She had a great time). She gets tons of exercise and multiple training sessions a day. You create the perfect dog - they aren’t born.
tc68 likes this.
post #23 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Master Member

Something about this story doesn't exactly ring true for me....why start a thread almost exactly one year ago on the same subject-get some good suggestions from members-great advice and yet never act on any of them apparently OR even bother to respond to any of them ? How hard is it to get a crate and then actually use it ?? I really wonder if the OP is someone who gets his jollies starting a thread he/she knows will be a emotional subject and then just sits back and watches and reads.....could that be possible ??....maybe so

As someone who's had multiple dogs with bite histories and crappy starts in life....from your start of the thread-------
Quote from OP "Some people luck out & get PERFECT dogs"...guess what ?? perfect dogs aren't born anymore than perfect kids are born....dogs become "perfect" because somebody put in the time and work.

OP since you clearly aren't going to respond and IF this story is real...as others have said contact a breed rescue and give this dog a chance to become "PERFECT" in a good home with a good owner and that's CLEARLY NOT YOU !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Crowned Member

Lol! It’s is an odd title to post. I bet the your pup is saying the same thing- sounds like he was miserable with you. What you put into something is what you get out. Someone had originally surrendered Lassie - I suppose to much dog or not the right fit - the dog became a superstar. It’s amazing how a soul can shine and grow in the right light.
Shane'sDad and Sabis mom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #25 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

10 dogs. Closest to perfection - puppy who, first time on a leash, walked through the airport like she was born walking on a leash. Show her the bell to ring to go out - Got this. Listen to someone at club - if they are too excited when tacked up to go for a walk, just stick them in the crate until they calm down - yeah, ok, bye bye harness is under two minutes. more club info - if they are not retrieving the two toys when playing with you outside, leave them (if it is safe to do so.) Yeah, well, I don't quite remember how but that didn't work either. .... She was not left out of the crate unsupervised for many months. Because I remembered how pre-crate dogs worked--- oh yeah. (destroyed clothing, reconstructed library books on dog training.) Just driving to club in the front seat (no air bag in that old truck, no back seat in that truck) she chewed my shirt as we drove (and I was wearing it!). Then there was the "clunk" - she had been modifying the boot jack as I drove. Right. Next. To. Me. And she was "worked" and "played" twice a day when I was working full-time. Oh yeah and as a pup she wanted to eat moving cars. That made me work with her to change. (We worked and it worked.) And now at nearly 10 we haven't been able to do our training because the yard has been under two feet of snow. And she's restless, needing something to do besides chew up things. So the snow is going and my dogs, "perfect" as they are (someone ingested something during this hiatus that I discovered as it exited in excrement), will be happy to be back to work.

Perfect dogs need practice to be perfect === and they still do things like regard your horse as something that should not be on the property, bark like fools when you pull into the gate, bark even more when you get to the house and park.

So yeah there's how I lucked out with "perfect" dog. All handler error, I am sure.

OP - please do find your dog a happier home. He deserves it. And when you decide to get another dog, decide to work with that dog, decide to enjoy what that dog offers. Know that the dog is not going to be something you take out of the box and it "works". Dogs "work" but that happens best when you "work" too.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 03-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #26 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
Something about this story doesn't exactly ring true for me....why start a thread almost exactly one year ago on the same subject-get some good suggestions from members-great advice and yet never act on any of them apparently OR even bother to respond to any of them ? How hard is it to get a crate and then actually use it ?? I really wonder if the OP is someone who gets his jollies starting a thread he/she knows will be a emotional subject and then just sits back and watches and reads.....could that be possible ??....maybe so

As someone who's had multiple dogs with bite histories and crappy starts in life....from your start of the thread-------
Quote from OP "Some people luck out & get PERFECT dogs"...guess what ?? perfect dogs aren't born anymore than perfect kids are born....dogs become "perfect" because somebody put in the time and work.

OP since you clearly aren't going to respond and IF this story is real...as others have said contact a breed rescue and give this dog a chance to become "PERFECT" in a good home with a good owner and that's CLEARLY NOT YOU !!
I wondered the same thing. Is this for real?

Bud came to me at 11 months with horrid injuries, seriously underweight, a crappy attitude and a head like a battering ram. I could barely handle him safely and had a few really serious confrontations with him. I sustained a few nasty bites and dodged some that would have been horrific. He had no training and was out of control.
I NEVER gave up. Over the years I had a few "what if" moments and there were days when I seriously doubted it was worth it.
I gave him 13 years of a pretty good life. He toured around Canada with me, and was my constant camping companion. He also jumped 6 foot fences like they were a joke, wrecked a bunch of furniture, put a ball through a TV, destroyed a few crates, terrified some realtors and made my neighbors hate me.
And when the weird man was trying to smash through my door he stood steady as a rock between me and said door with a nasty grin and a bring it on attitude.
I loved that dog. Sabi was my soul, but Bud was my rock.
Maybe the OP has a seasonal issue, maybe they really don't get it. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. If this is true I hope the ending for human and dog is a happy one.
post #27 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

I also wondered but just in case that isn't true, I'm more worried about the dog so I hope the OP answers back to help find a spot for this dog to go.

post #28 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, you don’t need a dog.
Rehome him.
Get a stuffed animal.
crittersitter and alexg like this.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #29 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

I suspect that this GSD probably was a perfect dog at one time. The problem most likely is that a GSD is not the perfect breed for the OP. Breed matters, please find this dog a home with somebody who appreciates this breed. Nothing good will come from a relationship where the owner wants to get rid of it and the dog will suffer the most. You both deserve to be happy.
Jax08 and cloudpump like this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #30 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh
Some people luck out & get PERFECT dogs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
They don't, though. Most of us who've had this breed for years and loved this breed for years have put TONS of work into guiding and molding them into the dogs we eventually end up with.
This, a hundred times over.

And when it's time to add another puppy or bring in a new adult, we expect to begin all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page