Were you relieved when you surrendered your GSD due to destructive behaviors - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh View Post
Raise your nose in the air all you want but the fact is that NONE of us can predict how terrible our dogs will be or what their behavior will be like.
Well.... exactly. We don't know, which is why we try to do our best to prevent bad behavior as much as possible, both through training and management, and to mold them into the dog we want them to ultimately become. It's so much more efficient to train and reinforce the behavior you want then to try and fix it after the fact. That's why on so many threads here the overriding advice is to get professional, in person, help. Nobody is born understanding dog behavior. Nobody is born knowing how to train a dog. But when we need to know, we learn. If it's not going well on our own, we find a trainer. We don't wait a year and hope it gets better and then complain and blame the dog when it doesn't, we nip it in the bud NOW.

Cassidy was a destructive chewer. Did she cause thousands of dollars in damage? No, she didn't. She certainly could have if left to her own devices but the reason she didn't destroy more stuff is that once it was clear, which was pretty early on, that she couldn't be left unattended for more than a minute or two, literally, we made sure she wasn't. And eventually she outgrew it. She was difficult in a lot of ways, but that just made me more stubborn. Our first shepherd together was super easy so I didn't need to know a lot about training at the time. I was completely unprepared for Cassidy, but I was not going to let a dog get the best of me. And as difficult as she was, we never once thought about giving her up. She was a mess, but she was our mess and we loved her.

If you don't feel that way about your dog, and it sounds like you don't, then please take Jax up on her offer to help you rehome him.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page