Were you relieved when you surrendered your GSD due to destructive behaviors - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 274Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM
Elite Member

OP- what do you do with your dog? What is his typical day like? What training does he get? What methods? How much structured exercise does he get? How much structured mental stimulation does he get?

My dog at almost 2 is doing well uncrated in the house. With all bedroom doors closed, garbage latched, toys closed in the kids room. Even though he has not destroyed anything ...mostly because he was never unsupervised until very recently and that started out with short trips. Even now if it is going to be more than an hour or two I crate him..because...boredom may take over and he may do something uncharacteristic.

I never would have left him unsupervised at age 1..its only now approaching 2 that I feel like I might have an idea of what he will or wont do. I've invested a lot of time training him, bonding with him, and giving my free from work and kid time to him. I have a feeling he would be not so controlled without that.

If you answer the questions in my first paragraph you may get some more specific answers. With the limited information people can only trade war stories.

FWIW I had a Boxer/hound mix who ate 2 grill covers, a trampoline, a kelti baby carrier, a stroller, the handles off of 3 sets of grill utensils. It stopped there ONLY because we realized leaving him out on his own even for a hot minute just wasn't an option. He would have eaten the house. I mean, even the recycling. Glass?!?!? By the time he was ..oh..2.5 he turned into a dog that would not touch a thing. Could be alone in the house for 12 hours and just wait quietly for you. He is 11 now and has seriously been the easiest steadiest dog ever. I lost him in the divorce lol My ex who is from Ireland use to say "ah, their teeth itch until they are grown". So they do sometimes. lol

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:39 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
OP- what do you do with your dog? What is his typical day like? What training does he get? What methods? How much structured exercise does he get? How much structured mental stimulation does he get?
This, and another thing I'm not sure any of us have mentioned yet is play. Does the OP ever PLAY with his dog? That is one of the fastest ways to build a bond - to have fun together! As Heartandsoul mentioned, bad attention is better than no attention and if that's the only thing that works to get attention, that's what a dog will do.

Halo loved both of us but was very much my husband's dog, she ADORED him. We'd take the dogs to the park and he was always the one with the Chuck-it. From time to time I'd take it from him and throw the ball myself, and every single time she'd bring the ball back to HIM, lol. I did all the training, the feeding, the grooming, and she worked very well for me, she excelled in our training classes. But it wasn't until we started flyball that our bond really cemented, and deepened to a point way past where it had been prior. That was the fun activity that was exclusively ours to share, we'd spend hours at practice every week and once she was racing, many tournaments were out of town so we spent all weekend together including several nights of just us in a hotel room somewhere. People watching us would comment on how much she loved me and how focused on me she was. And it was true, but I always said you should see her with my husband, it's like I no longer exist. When he came to watch a couple of her races at local tournaments I had to have him hide because if she knew he was there she would go looking for him.

Halo was a handful when she was young, and never fully outgrew her propensity to chew things like toilet paper and potholders. I put a LOT of work into her from a young age, we went through five basic 6 week classes starting at 13 weeks old, we worked with a private trainer, I took nosework classes for about 6 months, and then we found our sport of flyball. She was pretty much constantly in training of some sort or another for well over a year after we got her, with homework most days after work in addition to the weekly classes. Probably closer to two years, I didn't sign her up for a flyball class until she was 2-1/2 years old. She ended up being an amazing dog but that did not happen by accident, and left to her own devices she could have been a real problem. When you see someone with a great dog, all you're seeing is the finished product, not the hours, weeks, months, or even years it took to get there.
Clare, misfits, WateryTart and 1 others like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 AM

Advertising on this site is not allowed except in the vendor section. Please stop posting about your product or you will be banned from the board.

ADMIN

Last edited by lhczth; 03-29-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Advertising
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 AM

Oh good heavens.

If you didn't do the reasearch. Or didn't have time or knowledge personally. Why in heavens sake did you not take them to a trainer? $3000 worth of damage? Caused by who?
YOU! You did this. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Not only as a GSD owner. But as a financial planner... $3000 buys a lot of training.

I'll tell you exactly how you should feel giving them up.
Like a genious.

You should have felt bad when you, a human being, made a willful and conciousne decision to ruin this pups life.

I'm sorry.

I have no patience for such tom foolery
misfits likes this.
post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Have had GSDs for 35 years-never rehomed one. Most have been fine house dogs. Beau is not but he is a solid working dog a very good dog with a great temperament so I work around his lack of house manners.

8 years old. In the house but when unsupervised he is still crated because he has never EARNED loose house priveleges but he gets plenty of time and attention as well as offlead obedience control.

Cuddly? I have had several who were not at all cuddly including him but that eye contact right into their soul I will take into a hearbeat because it is a bond that is incredible and takes your breath away. The dogs are bred to work and working is where the bond is strongest. There is nothing like the bond of being outside offlead and doing something with your dog where you are a "team". Beau was maybe 18 months old before we truly bonded then, it is hard to describe, like I say "takes your breath away"

I would love it if he could have the "run of the house" and not have to settle for using a place command (at least he can do place on an area rug in the living room) but it is not to be. my other dog is fine unsupervised in the house. I doubt Beau will ever be. I have had to adapt to the dog in front of me.

I guess what I am saying is your dog may or may not ever be ok loose in the house or loose in a large yard where he can get into trouble...that does not necessarily make him a bad dog and he is still young and during some of the worst times for such behaviors which, unfortunately, are qute self-rewarding and of long duration....help from a professional and restructuring his life would be a good investment. Every time he destroys something he gets a great reward for doing it. What incentive does he have TO end?

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oh good heavens.

If you didn't do the reasearch. Or didn't have time or knowledge personally. Why in heavens sake did you not take them to a trainer? $3000 worth of damage? Caused by who?
YOU! You did this. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Not only as a GSD owner. But as a financial planner... $3000 buys a lot of training.

I'll tell you exactly how you should feel giving them up.
Like a genious.

You should have felt bad when you, a human being, made a willful and conciousne decision to ruin this pups life.

I'm sorry.

I have no patience for such tom foolery

Go do something else with your time, please, as you are quite-possibly the most judgemental out of everyone here. 3000 in damage. Yes. at-least that. Hmmmm, I might have paid 3k in training had I KNOWN I was going to have to fork that out AHEAD of time.

[REMOVED, POLITICS]

Its money they didnt even GET. The 3k was money I didnt even know id have to PAY before I got this mistake. You cant be serious. Raise your nose in the air all you want but the fact is that NONE of us can predict how terrible our dogs will be or what their behavior will be like. That's like a [REMOVED] owner having it be a good dog all of its life until it just "snaps" one day & unleashes [REMOVED] on god-knows-what. Under everyones logic, here, it'd be "SEND OWNER TO PRISON THEIR FAULT SHOULD HAVE KNOWN HE DIDNT TRAIN PITTY ENOUGH." As if these dogs are 100% perfect.

You all kill me. Bunch of GSD owners prancing around acting all perfect like theyve never done anything wrong in their lives and can all predict the future with 100% certainty. I'd bet money you all have had the same thoughts about giving up YOUR dog after he ROYALLY screwed up your house you just dont want to admit it because of the person you THINK it means you are and you'd HAVE to confront those emotions. So no. You hide behind the guise of judging someone instead for thinking about it.

To everyone here who didnt cry like a three-year old and utter insults like the 97% of people here did- thanks a ton and your questions were thought-provoking. To everyone else- get off your high-horse and take your keyboard-warrior-self elsewhere. You all have proven how disgusting "social media" & online forums actually are when you'd rather INSULT people than give good advice.
post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Administrator

ADMIN REMINDER, politics and pitbull conversation is banned. Please double-check the rules, otherwise threads will get closed or warnings issued.
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member

I met an older gentleman the other day who had a very well behaved dog, and in conversation he mentioned that he'd been very fortunate in that he'd had several great dogs over the years, and had never owned one that was a problem. I mention this because it was easy to see why just by watching him interact with his dog. IMHO all too often people think of training as separate from living with a dog. But how you live with your dog is every bit as important as any training you'll ever do! Fair, firm, and consistent are elements typically referred to in training, but they apply equally to living. Be calm, be consistent, be trustworthy, be fair, and you'll find that being firm is not needed near as often.

In the case of the OP's damaged property, this could be happening for many reasons. But in the end, the dog isn't one of them IMO!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh View Post
Go do something else with your time, please, as you are quite-possibly the most judgemental out of everyone here. 3000 in damage. Yes. at-least that. Hmmmm, I might have paid 3k in training had I KNOWN I was going to have to fork that out AHEAD of time.

[REMOVED, POLITICS]

Its money they didnt even GET. The 3k was money I didnt even know id have to PAY before I got this mistake. You cant be serious. Raise your nose in the air all you want but the fact is that NONE of us can predict how terrible our dogs will be or what their behavior will be like. That's like a [REMOVED] owner having it be a good dog all of its life until it just "snaps" one day & unleashes [REMOVED] on god-knows-what. Under everyones logic, here, it'd be "SEND OWNER TO PRISON THEIR FAULT SHOULD HAVE KNOWN HE DIDNT TRAIN PITTY ENOUGH." As if these dogs are 100% perfect.

You all kill me. Bunch of GSD owners prancing around acting all perfect like theyve never done anything wrong in their lives and can all predict the future with 100% certainty. I'd bet money you all have had the same thoughts about giving up YOUR dog after he ROYALLY screwed up your house you just dont want to admit it because of the person you THINK it means you are and you'd HAVE to confront those emotions. So no. You hide behind the guise of judging someone instead for thinking about it.

To everyone here who didnt cry like a three-year old and utter insults like the 97% of people here did- thanks a ton and your questions were thought-provoking. To everyone else- get off your high-horse and take your keyboard-warrior-self elsewhere. You all have proven how disgusting "social media" & online forums actually are when you'd rather INSULT people than give good advice.
I think most of the members here are completely at a loss as to why someone would complain, do nothing for a year and then complain again. You were offered advice a year ago but didn't do anything to prevent further damage and I personally find that very confusing.
I had a dog that cost me HUGE money, at a time when I was facing severe medical and emotional issues. I used to open my door every day after walking home at the end of my 10 hour day and CRY! I lived in a rental and had no choice but to repair the damage, while drowning in debt. At no point did I give up on the dog, at no point did I blame the dog and at no point did I stop trying to seek help for the problem. I didn't have access to the internet.
Crate the dog, train the dog and engage the dog. At the end of the day he's just a dog, doing what dogs do.
JessicaR likes this.
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

@friesbruh - I just want to know if you want to find this dog a new home. If so, please PM me and I will do what I can to find him a rescue who may be able to work with him.

And believe me, I get the frustration. We had a Boxer who did thst kind of damage. Furniture, walls, floors.
Sabis mom likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page