Experience in a correction for barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By dogma13
  • 2 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Experience in a correction for barking

Hello guys,

When I leave to work, Rex is confined in a room that has nice windows leading to a stairs where at the end I close with a pet gate. I put nothing in there so it is "puppy proof" and it is a nice space for me to leave him in when I am out. He is 14 months old.

When I close the gate and he sees me ready to leave, he starts barking. After I leave, he quiets down. The last week, as soon as I start going down the stairs he starts barking and barking until I open and I leave. A good 3 minutes or high continuous barking. I think he started to realise that I am leaving and he starts barking continuous. Super loud. I ignored.

Two days back. I reacted and involuntarily I yelled "Quiet!!" as I was going down the stairs. I did not like it but I yelled high; it was kind of a reaction. He lowered his ears and gave me that look and stopped barking. I left and he did not bark in the process. So it was a verbal yelling correction in the moment I guess. I realise that I should not yell but it happened. However, it has been two days now where the process has been happening with no barking and no correction.

The time I did it and I yelled, I felt guilty all day. And to be honest, I did not know that it would stop. Then again, after the last two days where he actually is not parking, I thought hmmm, maybe it was a "good correction" as the process for the last two days is calmer. He just waits at the stairs excuted untill I leave but no barking.

Sorry for the ramble....I realise we say no yelling. But perhaps because of the timing and just one yell it was good enough to stop the behaviour somehow.

Did I go worng anywhere in this?

Cheers

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:16 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a sharp or loud verbal correction.A quiet matter of fact tone has it's place.When our dogs get amped up we need to interrupt the behavior in a manner that gets their attention.
Heartandsoul, car2ner and ausdland like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

I bet he forgot all about it by the time you came home. My boy has heard "Get your butt in here now!" A time or two when he didn't respond to "come" quick enough. The only one who gets upset with me is dh. My guy comes quickly and with bright eyes. So, if Rex greeted you with the usual joy when you got home, toss the guilt away, realize he responds to firmness and use it sparingly and judiciously.
dogma13 and Judy Untamed like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 AM

Better a firm correction than nagging and ambivalence. You made it clear that the barking needed to stop and you are both fine.

The yelling you want to avoid is berating a dog because of lost temper. It doesn't communicate anything except that there person is angry.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

Who says no yelling? If it works, it works.
I yell at my dogs when it's warranted. It's no different than a physical correction.

Snitches get stitches.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Crowned Member

My female is a barker. She defends her property and front deck venomously against the feral cats who may want to come around. I just often yell shut up and she will know to be quiet by my tone. If she is outside barking her head off at feral cats who like to torment her and lie in the middle of the street. I will call her inside and will have to make sure my voice is raised quite high and loud which is not a problem lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Master Member

When you give the "quiet" command and she complies, follow with praise of "good quiet."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page