High temps? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saco

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

High temps?

Hey all,

I'm sure a handful of you are familiar with my plans to travel and live in a van with my dogs. The van is almost complete and we'll be leaving in about 10 days. The plan is to hit some desert states, and eventually both Canada and Mexico(maybe south america as well). I have a few questions about climate if anyone can chime in with their experiences in warmer climates. From my understanding, the dogs mainly need to acclimate to warmer weather and then generally will be fine given shade and water? My goal is to never be in an area above 90 degrees at any point while traveling. We have a very insulated van, with an RV fan to keep things as close to the external temps as we can. If the dogs are shaded and have water, will these 90 degree temps be bothersome to them? We live in a fairly moderate area, where most of the year is below 90 degrees, so they're definitely more used to 60-80 degree weather, so I'm not sure how they'll deal with it. Anyone have any tips for keeping them comfortable in these temperatures? I have a few friends who camp in the desert in vans in 100+ degree temps with smaller dogs, so not sure if that's a factor either. Those dogs seem to do fine, even without an RV fan.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:53 PM

My understanding is that if it's too hot for humans, it's usually too hot for dogs. Health issues or certain meds can make you more susceptible to heat issues. Sounds like you plan on offering shade, which is good. If it's really hot, you could wet down some beach towels and let the dogs lay down on them (perhaps with a tarp under the towels?). I bought some sport cooling towels for myself last Summer. I'm thinking something like that could be used by you or the dogs (if needed).

Are you traveling with just you and your dogs, or will someone else be with you?

Do you plan on visiting California?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
My understanding is that if it's too hot for humans, it's usually too hot for dogs. Health issues or certain meds can make you more susceptible to heat issues. Sounds like you plan on offering shade, which is good. If it's really hot, you could wet down some beach towels and let the dogs lay down on them (perhaps with a tarp under the towels?). I bought some sport cooling towels for myself last Summer. I'm thinking something like that could be used by you or the dogs (if needed).

Are you traveling with just you and your dogs, or will someone else be with you?

Do you plan on visiting California?
Just me and the dogs! We'll very briefly be in Cali. Mostly passing through over the course of a week or so, likely in the fall. Headed up the coast that way.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Just a heads up - make sure to avoid places with "Valley Fever", common in the dust (air) of the Phoenix Valley, Central California and I am sure places in Mexico. Dogs are especially vulnerable because they sniff the ground/animal burrows. Some places (Gila Valley, AZ) can get so hot that the sand actually burns the dog's feet. The cactus thorns and goats head seeds can get into dogs feet/skin and are a real problem. I don't like to take my shepherds to places that are super hot, or full of cacti, we stay north for the most part. Also, lots of serious dog diseases in Mexico/S. America that you may not be aware of so ask a good vet.

Have a second safeguard in place if your AC blows or power goes out. For the most part, if the dogs have shade and water they can survive. But do be careful.
clipke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page