Behavior Changes in New House? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Behavior Changes in New House?

Mac & Tasha are almost 2 years old now, and what a ride it has been! Our new house is almost done being built after 1.5 years of waiting. We will all be very happy not to have to share a space with a roommate and 4 other dogs! We can't wait!

M&T have been used to traveling and being in another house on the weekends. We've been staying with a roommate during the week and going to our actual home 2 hours away to check on things and spend some time together. It will be so nice to not have to travel every weekend and to be able to stay in one place in our new house.

Can I expect any behavior changes with being in a new home? I don't really know what I mean by that. I guess maybe, can I expect any potty accidents (they haven't had one since they were 5 months old)? Any anxiety? Do dogs go through a transition period with moving to a new place? I'm thinking maybe since they're used to being in two different houses anyway, it shouldn't be a huge problem getting them used to the new place, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks!
Kyrielle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

I've always lived in the same place with my current shepherds, but I used to move a lot in the past, and my dogs never had any problems transitioning. (Now, my cats were a different story). I would imagine as long as your dogs are with you, they will be fine.
emcale likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post
Mac & Tasha are almost 2 years old now, and what a ride it has been! Our new house is almost done being built after 1.5 years of waiting. We will all be very happy not to have to share a space with a roommate and 4 other dogs! We can't wait!

M&T have been used to traveling and being in another house on the weekends. We've been staying with a roommate during the week and going to our actual home 2 hours away to check on things and spend some time together. It will be so nice to not have to travel every weekend and to be able to stay in one place in our new house.

Can I expect any behavior changes with being in a new home? I don't really know what I mean by that. I guess maybe, can I expect any potty accidents (they haven't had one since they were 5 months old)? Any anxiety? Do dogs go through a transition period with moving to a new place? I'm thinking maybe since they're used to being in two different houses anyway, it shouldn't be a huge problem getting them used to the new place, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks!
Aha! My husband and I are also finishing our brand new house. We move in next week, so I'll try to remember to reply to this and let you know what happened.

We've brought Jack over to the new house throughout the entire build. He's seen it go from a pile of red clay to an actual house. We've walked him around the property's perimeter and let him mark as much as he wanted, especially after the landscaping was in. He's been introduced to the neighborhood, the neighbors, and the surrounding wooded paths. When we finally let him off leash in the new house (right before flooring went in), he did what he always does when entering a new house: inspect all the corners, frolic around excitedly, gallop up and down the stairs, and make funny excited noises.

Point is, we've tried to make it abundantly clear to him that this is now part of his territory by allowing him in it with us and encouraging him to appropriately mark it.

So, if you've done anything remotely similar, I expect you and I will have few issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM

When we moved into our present home 18 years ago our sheltie Max was ready to "go home" after the first weekend.He would run to the car ready to leave after his fun as a guest in this new house.By the end of the week he settled in fine after getting to know his way around.
emcale likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 PM

We moved many times with my doberman over ten years. I always kept her on leash for her first "inspection" of her new yard...walked her all the way around the perimeter, letting her check everything out while I also inspected the security of the fencing. Then walked with her as she explored the inside of the new house, sniffing at every corner...then walk back and forth through the door to the back yard a few times, just to make sure she knew where her potty exit was.

That's all it ever took for her to feel at home, or at least, to behave properly in that home. She'd have a few weeks of adjusting to new neighbors and would be more barky and possessive of the back yard at first...but once she got to know who the neighbors were and what dogs or other animals they may or may not have, she was back to her normal, goofy self.
emcale likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post
Can I expect any behavior changes with being in a new home?
After what you and your dog's have endured, I predict their behavior will change drastically...lots of smiles, and they'll likely take up some pretty odd, expansive poses, stretching out while smiling or breathing heavy sighs of relief while enjoying their new found bounty LOL! And you may find that they become very very territorial, now that they have a larger and more comfortable accommodation...at least until they realise it's not temporary!

Congratulations on the new house, aside from the various displays of "thank GOD ALMIGHTY" your dog's should be fine!

Just my prediction, your actual results may vary...
emcale and Judy Untamed like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

@Kyrielle: Congrats on your new house! Yes, please let me know how it goes with your dogs. Our house still has a ton of workers around it, so I've just been walking them on the street in front of the house. But I have brought them in the house after all the sheetrock was put in, before all the trim guys and cabinet guys were there. I've also walked them around the yard occasionally (it's on 1.5 acres of land), but I think I might need to do that more.

@tim_s_adams: That's really encouraging to hear! I hope that's what happens. I hate to think they've been stressed for the first 2 years of their life, but I hope that this will all be worth it when they can have their own space all the time.

It's good to know that dogs don't have much problem getting acclimated. It sounds like that as long as they're with their people, they're good anywhere. Unlike cats, as I understand LOL
Kyrielle likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM

@emcale

So, we've moved into the new house and I can report the following:

1. Jack does not appear to miss the old house at all.
2. He was extremely excited once he realized this was our new home.**
3. It took 2 days for him to decide where his new guard post was.
4. Amazingly, he has NOT barked or alerted at every living thing walking by the house like he did in our old neighborhood. In fact, he doesn't seem to be concerned at all by the various new sounds and people walking around outside. He has only barked and alerted when someone has walked up our driveway and to the door proper (doesn't even care if there's a car/van parked in the street--only the driveway). Something about having a detached house with a larger property has changed the way he views his territory. As if there's a much larger buffer zone--we know it and he knows it.

All in all, he's adapted just fine. I can tell he's not thrilled with us ignoring him more than usual--sometimes scolding him for getting in our way while moving boxes. And we're all not thrilled he can't go enjoy his new yard as it's been raining non-stop since the day we moved. Otherwise, he likes his new territory with its built-in woods right across the street.

**Story time: We dropped Jack off for daycare on moving day. When the moving was all done and we were ready to bring him home, my husband stopped by the old house with him before coming home. Jack was severely disturbed by all of our stuff suddenly missing. He ran around the house whining as if to say "Where is it?! Where'd it all go?! How can this be!". When we brought him to the new house, he finally understood the point of all this mess and packing. All of his things were at the house we kept taking him to. All was well and he was mindlessly excited.
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Wow, @Kyrielle! What an awesome update I'm so happy the move went so smoothly for you guys. Thank you so much for sharing! That makes me excited for what's to come for us. I hope you all are really happy in your new home! It sounds like Jack definitely loves it.

I'll be really happy if mine do like Jack did and become less concerned about every little thing that moves outside. Mine have only a small space to call their own here, and they're quite protective of it. I'm hoping that when we get into our new and bigger house, they'll mellow out a bit.

Congratulations on your new life adventure!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Congratulations on your new house!

I just moved..... what a headache. So glad it's over.

The only things that took a few days ~

The dogs re-orienting to which door is "the dog door" for bathroom breaks, which is where they go and woof if they need to be let out.

Getting used to all the different noises the mechanicals make. Our previous house didn't have a water softener, and now the entire water system plus pump and pressure tank are on the main floor next to the kitchen. The first time the system clicked in to recharge (which is LOUD), the dogs were pretty convinced Poseidon in all his wrath was lurking in the utility room trying to kill us. After two go-rounds, they ignore it like champs.

In general I hate nightlights, but I realized my older GSD (who has cataracts and some vision loss) was having trouble navigating the new house in the dark. It's so easy to forget how important mental maps are. I put a few dim nightlights in the hallway near knee height for the first week or so to help her get her bearings and develop some muscle memory for where the rooms and halls and doors are. So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page