Adult fear stage? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Vet visit Monday went fine, she said she is perfectly healthy no pain that the vet can discern, no split heat and she doesn't think its a false pregnancy.

I tried something different today. Used a different collar and leash, and instead of driving to the park or walking trail like I normally do, we just walked around the neighborhood. Didn't make a difference. As soon as I started to put her collar on she peed a littles started trembling again, ears pinned back, and fur stood up at the base of the tail. Once we started walking she was fine, got home took the collar off, and then tried putting it back on again, Only reaction was peeing a little, but no trembling.

I am not sure what to do now.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I am not sure what to do now.
What I would do now is to go about your routines, ignore her behavior and "forget" about her issue. No fuss about her collar either. Have her sit when you put it on and take it off as if she were any other dog. If she pees, completely ignore it as if it didn't happen and wipe it off when she can't see you do it. Just be happy with her and hopefully she gets over this.
Keep us posted. Good luck.
JessicaR and CometDog like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Can you take her for an off leash romp somewhere safe? See if the leash and collar have somehow triggered some bad feelings? A young dog that doesn't want to go for a walk, is going through something strange, indeed.

Continuing to force a walk when her mind is in such a state can't be helpful. Does she love the ball, fetch, or some treats? If so, maybe you could snap her out of it using those. I'd try to find some activity where she shows no fear and is confident and happy, and engage and reward her for this, and see if you can build up confidence before trying a walk again.

How could the vet tell that it is NOT a split heat with a physical exam? They aren't always obvious. Did you progesterone test? Neither are false pregnancies, even with blood testing. I can't imagine you could even test for one, it would be based on the dog's behavior over the weeks.

My recommendation, if it may be hormonal, is to spay her at about 2 years because hormones can have MAJOR impact on a bitches' behavior. It depends on the individual dog, but I've seen major temperament changes in pregnant dogs and dogs in heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

@Saco no we didn't have a progesterone test done, I didn't even think to ask and the vet never mentioned having it done, she just examined her. Her last heat cycle though was normal though.

Its not that she doesn't like to walk or car rides, quite the opposite in fact. If I don't put her collar on she acts normal. Unfortunately there really is no place to walk her off leash other than the dog park, that we never go to because she doesn't like to play with other dogs. I do let go of the leash at the human park when no one else is there, which is most of the time since I go when the kids are in school, plus now that it is getting cold most of the older retired people aren't walking either. It is just the act of putting on the collar

She has high ball and food drive (as long as you are not asking her to eat her dinner out of a bowl) even when she is trembling she will still take treats. We usually play fetch during her walk or when it is warm out she gets to play in the creek or river.

@wolfy dog that is what I did today, just completely ignored her behavior and just started walking. I think from now on I will just put her collar on outside so I don't have to worry about the mess. I am also going to start doing engagement work with her again.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

If she is reacting to a prong collar like this, why not just use a flat collar?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Master Member

How does she react if someone else puts her collar on?

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
If she is reacting to a prong collar like this, why not just use a flat collar?
I tried that and still got the same reaction. I am also thinking of just leaving her buckle collar on all the time and see if it helps or if she will still react the same when I snap the leash on. I guess I really only have been using the prong out of habit, she doesn't need it anymore

@Bramble my 14 y/o daughter, who does most of her training (she is her 4h dog) gets the same reaction.

I did advise her to try and not react if she pees just keep smiling and if she has to practice singing her choir songs. I sang Christmas songs today, just to make sure my face didn't show any negative emotions lol

Other than this she acts just fine the rest of the time.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I tried that and still got the same reaction. I am also thinking of just leaving her buckle collar on all the time and see if it helps or if she will still react the same when I snap the leash on. I guess I really only have been using the prong out of habit, she doesn't need it anymore

@Bramble my 14 y/o daughter, who does most of her training (she is her 4h dog) gets the same reaction.

I did advise her to try and not react if she pees just keep smiling and if she has to practice singing her choir songs. I sang Christmas songs today, just to make sure my face didn't show any negative emotions lol

How about trying a harness? That way you could avoid the neck area altogether.
JessicaR likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:

What if you go through the motions without the collar does she react the same? How about if you change your body positions, like stand sideways to her and place the collar on or crouch down beside her?

I have grooming clients with dog who have formed sudden fears about things, but they have all been older and I think a lot is due to changes in vision and hearing due to aging.
JessicaR likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Elite Member

Since you don't feel that the prong is needed and she reacts to the buckle flat collar also, if a martingale collar can be slipped over her head and still fit properly, that might be worth a try. You could introduce it by enticing with treats to have her put her snout through it and no buckle to fiddle with.

Just a thought in line with other suggestions.
JessicaR likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page