4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Kairo's Dad
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

New guy here with a couple questions...

Ok so I'm new here an I got a couple questions. First of all my GSD is a 16 week old female. She's not very vocal towards me which I find kinda odd and making training her to speak somewhat difficult. She barks at other dogs but not very much at that. The most vocal she gets towards me is whines when she needs out and she'll whine at me but that's about it. What a y'alls thoughts on that? Second question, she's got a pretty serious personality to her and she's never been overly playful. She's not shy or timid and she's really smart but just not very playful and never has been. What's up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Blackwell View Post
Ok so I'm new here an I got a couple questions. First of all my GSD is a 16 week old female. She's not very vocal towards me which I find kinda odd and making training her to speak somewhat difficult. She barks at other dogs but not very much at that. The most vocal she gets towards me is whines when she needs out and she'll whine at me but that's about it. What a y'alls thoughts on that? Second question, she's got a pretty serious personality to her and she's never been overly playful. She's not shy or timid and she's really smart but just not very playful and never has been. What's up with that?
No answers until we get pictures!

Kidding, GSD's are often not very vocal and it isn't unusual for them to be very serious and somewhat reserved even as pups. As you bond with her she may open up a bit, or this may just be who she is.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM

You actually want her to be vocal?! I think a lot of people would love it if their dogs would stop barking all the time. They actually make anti barking e collars. So, as of right now, I would be thankful. As far as play is concerned...what kind of playing are you trying with her? I mean, if you have a rope, don't just give her the rope. Make it active...twirl it or something. If you give her a stuffed toy, move it around. If you give her a ball, tease her with it. Throw it from hand to hand in front of her, or do something. My pup didn't know what to do with all the toys I gave him until I made them "active."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 PM

“She's not very vocal towards me which I find kinda odd..... She barks at other dogs but not very much at that.”

>sigh< There are GSDs who bark at every lizard in the yard, the neighbor every time they open their gate, loud trucks slowing down near the perimeter, every passing breeze. I say count your blessings.

Serious and reserved sounds like a special gal. Second the request for pics!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 AM

She may still be trying to figure out what to bark at. Did yipping at littermates get her trampled by her brothers and sisters? Maybe? Give her time. When she is a old you can teach her to bark on command and maybe even "whisper" or "tell me a secret".

As far as her seriousness, keep things light. When you find the game you both love during the next few months, you might just see her blossom.
Kairo's Dad likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM

She's not very vocal toward you? Be careful what you wish for lol. I'd say your pretty lucky! Mine does everything but call me by name!
kaydub_u likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Blackwell View Post
Give it time. Jack wasn't vocal until he was 5 months, then he had to bark at everything that moved.

He didn't start talking and singing at us until he was much, much older.
middleofnowhere likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

Yup, well, work with "whachgot"... I think my youngest took all the vocal skills available and maybe she got your pups? --- Time to go out in the morning or time to think about opening that door, either door, any door.... The uninitiated would conclude that a dog was being slaughtered in a most torturous manner. (On the other hand, trying to get her to bark for protection ---- that's a chore and a half.)

If you want more engagement (aka playfulness) you might try a flirt pole and see what that does for bringing up some prey drive. (Then you can move to two toys, etc.)

Another thing that might bring out some playfulness is lying on the floor - maybe flopping about while you are down there? That might also encourage barking. (Let's see how good an actor you can be.)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Second all the above. I hope you are not proud of her barking at other dogs. That can become a problem when she gets older. You didn't mention how you respond to her in these situations but I would discourage it by having her interact with you. Have you tried squeaky toys? I personally hate them but in this case it could really help her engage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page